September 2nd, 2007

The Clinton show hits New Hampshire

The Clintons in New Hampshire Sunday

(CNN)–Returning to the state where he was dubbed the 'Comeback Kid' in 1992, former President Bill Clinton began a Labor Day weekend campaign swing through New Hampshire with his wife, New York Senator Hillary Clinton as she campaigned for her White House bid.

Standing before a crowd on the lawn of the state capitol in Concord, the former president said the 2008 election was consequential. "We have to elect the best President this time. This is not about politics, this is about the future."

He declined to criticize any of his wife's competitors for the Democratic nomination. "I like being a Democrat in this election because I like all the people running. So if you came here expecting me to say something bad about the others, you might as well go home now," he said to a comment greeted by laughter from the crowd.

But he left no real doubt for whom he would cast his vote. "In the forty years I have been voting in presidential elections," he said, "Hillary is the best prepared to be president of any non-incumbent I ever had a chance to vote for in my life."

"Ultimately, to bring change, you have to know when to stand your ground, and when to find common ground," Senator Clinton said after taking the stage. "You need to know when to stick to principles and fight, and know when to make principled compromises."

Under fire from other candidates for appearing too cozy with special interest groups, she said no other candidate had more experience fighting them like she did. "I've been standing up to special interests and taking all their incoming fire for 15 years," the Democrat from New York said. "And guess what, I'm still standing, and proud to fight every step of the way."

The Clintons were also scheduled to visit the Hopkinton state fair in Contoocook, New Hampshire on Sunday, as well as an evening rally in Portsmouth. They are scheduled to campaign together in Iowa on Monday.

– CNN Political Desk Editor Jamie Crawford

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire • Race to '08
  1. John, San Jose, CA

Hillary will be President elect in 08; and she does not need most of you on this post votes to be elected. I am hoping you don't emotionally get a heart attack when the truth is made.

September 3, 2007 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  2. Shawnie Cannon, Grants Pass OR

David from Salinas,
    We don't vote some one into office over gender guilt. We vote them in because they are the best one for the job. Hillary clearly isn't it.

September 3, 2007 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  3. Rick, Chicago Illinois

Hillary says, "Ultimately, to bring change, you have to know when to stand your ground, and when to find common ground," Senator Clinton said after taking the stage. "You need to know when to stick to principles and fight, and know when to make principled compromises"

Being married to Bill Clinton, Hillary, you've only learned compromises. I can't imagine when you've ever stood your ground... perhaps when you blamed all Bill's problems on the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy.

You've never recanted and you will never be elected President.

September 4, 2007 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  4. Contessa Winston-salem North carolina

I really admire senator clintons approach to the politics in general. But what a lot of american people want to see is Obama and Clinton unified in one accord. Together, they are a powerful combination in these upcoming elections.

September 4, 2007 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  5. Jon, Sacramento ~ Ca

Hillary misspoke!

She said, "I've been standing up to special interests and taking all their incoming fire for 15 years,"

What she MEANT to say, "I've been standing up to special interests and taking all their INCOME for 15 years"

She will twist the truth so far – tomorrow she'll tell us SHE invented the internet!

September 4, 2007 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  6. Joe, Florida

The Clintons and Obama in the White House. Now tell me, how better than that can it get? Democrat or Republican you have to admit this would be the most incredible combination ever.

Imagine what Bill Clinton can do as the First Husband (or First Man or First Gentleman) (Sounds weird). He would be the most influential and powerful spouse to a US president to date. Also bring in Barack Obama as Vice President and Hillary as President. We would have the best administration ever to be conceived. It would mean 3 good, smart people running this country.

September 4, 2007 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  7. James, Phoenix AZ

David,

You asked, "if Hillary’s got you runnin’ scared, how do you think Osama bin Laden and his buddies are gonna feel? "

Honestly I think (if Osama is alive) he and his buddies will be relieved if Hillary is elected. Considering she and all the Democrat candidates have been shouting for troop withdrawals, this means Osama and his buddies will be able to move without fear of US military strikes. They will be able to start up training operations, planning for more attacks, and rest knowing that the new President will be more concerned with easing the concerns of the anti-war crowd than sincerely fighting terrorism.

I REALLY believe that is how Osama would feel.

September 4, 2007 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  8. hawnstyle

I hope Hillary wins...Romney will clean her clock next year. GO ROMNEY!!!

September 5, 2007 01:53 am at 1:53 am |