September 2nd, 2007

The Clinton show hits New Hampshire

The Clintons in New Hampshire Sunday

(CNN)–Returning to the state where he was dubbed the 'Comeback Kid' in 1992, former President Bill Clinton began a Labor Day weekend campaign swing through New Hampshire with his wife, New York Senator Hillary Clinton as she campaigned for her White House bid.

Standing before a crowd on the lawn of the state capitol in Concord, the former president said the 2008 election was consequential. "We have to elect the best President this time. This is not about politics, this is about the future."

He declined to criticize any of his wife's competitors for the Democratic nomination. "I like being a Democrat in this election because I like all the people running. So if you came here expecting me to say something bad about the others, you might as well go home now," he said to a comment greeted by laughter from the crowd.

But he left no real doubt for whom he would cast his vote. "In the forty years I have been voting in presidential elections," he said, "Hillary is the best prepared to be president of any non-incumbent I ever had a chance to vote for in my life."

"Ultimately, to bring change, you have to know when to stand your ground, and when to find common ground," Senator Clinton said after taking the stage. "You need to know when to stick to principles and fight, and know when to make principled compromises."

Under fire from other candidates for appearing too cozy with special interest groups, she said no other candidate had more experience fighting them like she did. "I've been standing up to special interests and taking all their incoming fire for 15 years," the Democrat from New York said. "And guess what, I'm still standing, and proud to fight every step of the way."

The Clintons were also scheduled to visit the Hopkinton state fair in Contoocook, New Hampshire on Sunday, as well as an evening rally in Portsmouth. They are scheduled to campaign together in Iowa on Monday.

– CNN Political Desk Editor Jamie Crawford

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire • Race to '08
  1. Marsha, Portland, OR

It's about time one of the candidate's spouses took the high road.

September 2, 2007 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  2. pl, at the UN, for a while.

I am not American. I cannot vote.

This is a highly fired couple with plenty of experience. What they say is reality to come.

Whate I like most of all though, is a candidate flanked by the spouse. It is a rarity that is not found anywhere else in the world. There, is still a men's club.

September 2, 2007 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  3. David, Salinas, CA

Are You Man Enough to Vote for Hillary Clinton?

Hey, Buddy! Yeah, that’s right. I’m talkin’ to you, Mister steak-eating, beer-drinkin, hard-working, fast-living, woman-lovin’, football-playing, tv-watchin’ gun-totin’, truck-drivin’, flag-waving American man. I know who you are. Hell, I’m one of you. I’m 6'4" 210 pounds of angry right now and I’ve got something that needs sayin’. I’ve been readin’ and watchin’ and listenin’ all about this here election we’ve got comin up and how we might just get ourselves the first woman President of the United States ever, except for a whole bunch of us men are too proud or too macho or too scared to vote for Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton. Now excuse my language, but I think that’s a whole load of grade-A certified bull and I’m about to tell you why.

We’ve got ourselves a President in there now, claims he’s the man. He’s from up in Connecticut somewheres, but he wears boots and a cowboy hat and he says. “I’m the decider” and “Mission accomplished” and “Bring it on” and all kind of tough guy stuff like that. (Course, back when it was his turn to fight he got his daddy to get him out of it). But nowadays he’s always gettin’ us in fights. That’s my point see: there’s a lot more to being a man than some people think. A real man don’t pick a fight unless he needs to. And when somebody picks a fight with him, he don’t turn around and take it out on somebody else that had nothin’ to do with it. A real man don’t give one reason before he does something, and another one after. He don’t lie to the folks he’s supposed to be helpin’. He don’t spend the children’s money on presents for his rich friends. He don’t give his buddies big important jobs they can’t do. He don’t leave poor folks stuck up on a rooftop in the rain. He don’t go on vacation when things get rough. I could keep on, but that’s all history now. It’s time to pick a new President, and everybody and their brother is runnin’ ‘round sayin’ how they’re the man for the job.

Rudy Giuliani says he’s the man. He talks real tough, too. (Course, sometimes he does like to put on a dress and go to the opera, but that’s his business). He used to talk far-left but now he talks far-right. Mostly he just talks big about himself. He’s about the bragginest man I ever did see. He says he’s a hero and he says it every chance he gets. But I figure a real man don’t take credit for other folks bein’ heroes. He don’t say one thing in New York City and another in Iowa.. A real man stands by his people and his family and his word. So I don’t think Rudy is the man.

Mitt Romney says he’s the man. He’s rich and he’s handsome and he talks real pretty, too.
    (Course, he does kind of talk out of both sides of his mouth). Romney’s got more opinions than a Sunday newspaper on both sides of every issue. He’s liberal up in Boston and conservative down in Des Moines. He tells his boys the way to serve their country in time of war is to get him elected. He was one of them what-you-call corporate raiders, kinda like a rustler only in a business suit. He got himself rich in by runnin’ down companies, firin’ Americans, and shippin’ their jobs overseas. Now I reckon a real man don’t make his living selling out hard-working folks. He don’t say one thing on the east coast and another in the heartland. A real man stands for what he believes even if it costs him. Course, he’s got to believe in something, first. So I don’t think Romney is the man.

Fred Thompson says he’s the man. He’s big and he’s gruff and he’s got a deep manly voice, alright. He wants us to go fight, but when it was his turn he got himself a deferment. Mostly he just pretends to stand for what’s right on a television show. (He’s pretty good on that one). Course, in the real world he only fought for mining companies, and tobacco companies, and asbestos companies and some foreign dictator. And when old Fred got up in the U.S. Senate he didn’t do much of anything. Nowadays, while we’re all talkin’ about the war and important stuff, he’s busy pickin’ on gay folks. He’s talkin’ pro-life, but he lobbied pro-choice. He talks a whole bunch, but he don’t say much. Anyways, I guess a real man don’t make his livin’ protectin’ poison pushers.. He don’t say one thing for money and another for votes. A man’s got to BE a man, he can’t just ACT like one. So I don’t think Fred is the man.

Now Senator Clinton, she don’t claim to be no kind of man. She’s proud to be a woman and a wife and a mother, and she says stuff like “It takes a village to raise a child”and “I’m your girl”. She’s all for clean air and health care and wussy stuff like that. Probably wants us to eat our vegetables. But she stands by her man when times get tough, and she raised her daughter right. She takes care of old folks and sick folks and poor folks and little children who need help. (She even bakes cookies sometimes, but I don’t think she’s much good at it). What she is good at is fighting for America. She’s been doing that her whole life. She fights for what she believes as good as any man. And she’s been in plenty of fights, believe you me. They’ve been comin’ after her for years with cameras and money and lawyers and lies, but Hillary just keeps fightin’ back, and winnin’, too. She even stands up to the President. (Course she’s had some practice doin’ that). You just watch her in them debates. Watch the way them other guys treat her. They’re powerful men, Senators and Governors and such, but they all treat Hillary like she’s their boss. She’s got those old boys so mixed up they’re gettin’ $400 haircuts. They’re talkin’ ‘bout bombin’ our friends and askin’ our enemies to supper. Meanwhile, Senator Clinton just stands there cool as a cucumber and watches ‘em squirm. She’s not just the frontrunner, she’s the leader.

Now I know some of you boys out there are scared of a strong woman. (You don’t like to admit it, but you know it’s true). Hell, I love women and they scare me, too. But let me ask you this: if Hillary’s got you runnin’ scared, how do you think Osama bin Laden and his buddies are gonna feel? Because she’s going to go after them terrorists like a momma bear protecting her cubs. There ain’t nothin’ more fearsome than an American woman riled up about something, and you know I’m right on that one, boys. Like her or not, you’ve never seen Hillary Clinton back down to nobody, never. She stands her ground and she fights. That’s just the kind of woman she is. And that’s the kind of President we need right now. Even if she isn’t the man.

So listen up, boys. I know what you’re thinking: Do I feel secure enough? But being as this is the most powerful country in the world, and things could blow clean up any minute, you’ve got to ask yourself a question: Are you man enough to vote for Hillary Clinton?

September 2, 2007 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  4. D, Gorham, NH

You said it best CNN. The Clinton Show. That's all it is, is a show. I'd vote for Hillary if she was for "real" progressive change, but she's not. I can't support a candidate who takes tens of thousands of special interest dollars and says they can make "real" change. She says we need to fight the "right wing machine." I say we need to stop fighting and start talking and working with each other. We need to stop dividing and start uniting. Vote for change, vote to unite, vote Obama.

September 2, 2007 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  5. Arshad

Senator Clinton, you always refer to 15 years of standing against "right wing attack machine", "special interest" and survived those attacks and still standing and keep fighting everyday.

To democrats like me, I don't know what exactly it means. 8 years of the claimed 15, you were a first lady. You were not elected, your husband was. You tried to reform health care but you were defeated by special interests. Other than that episode, why either right wing attack machine or special interest attacked you for 8 years during Bill's presidency? If you fought that hard, what did you accomplish for people of New York or the country? If your fighting of last 35 years produced no results but "still keep you standing", what american people will get from your continued fight other than keep you standing against those attacks. People in this country really does not care who is attacking whom and who is standing vs falling. People want to do better in their and their children's lives. They want an agenda that are far from partisan bickering but bring positive changes to their lives. They want a politician who has broad appeal to republicans, democrats and independents who earn respect of opposition as well as who is broad enough to work with them so that we as a nation can make progress. Your rhetoric is far from people's desire. You neither have better plan nor persona to bring people together. Please tell us in simpler, easier, and honest terms if are you really the right candidate in a troubled time. I as a democrat don't see much hope in your candidacy.

We need a man like Obama. Smart, hardworking, honest, in touch with what happens on streets and in households, willing to work with all, give priority to people's interest over establishment's or special interest's, and tell everyone the way it's. He is an amazing leader that people admire. He inspires people like no one else in current political landscape. He is our future and we democrats will stand behind him when time comes. So will the American people. We love you as a democrat senator of new york but i don't think American people will be better served by your presidency. THINK!!!!

September 2, 2007 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  6. Edda K. Meinardus Eugene, Oregon

Hillary will run a tight ship! She is for me at this time the most qualified to run this country, especially after the mess it is in, that will be awaiting her. It has nothing to do with her being a woman, as far as I am concerned. Just study her demeanor, and the brilliance in the way she project her rationalities for being able to handle that high office. She has gotten my vote wrapped up already and I wish her, former President Clinton, Chelsea, her mother and her entire family, the very best come '08 election time. Edda K. Meinardus

September 2, 2007 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  7. linda british columbia canada

i think hillary would make a good president. she knows how the world leaders work, she has the skill the knowledge, and capability.around the world there is female presidents.It sure beats republicans who don't know how to treat other countries with respect.the white house needs a good cleaning from all the corruption and secrecy. the pure arrogance of this administration is just too much to take and i am not even american. why the american people haven't come out and totally condemned this administration is baffling to people everywhere. i honestly think there is so much wrong. people are just so disillutioned that they have just given up.too bad, even what the clintons had to endured in the white house couldn't stop the world from loving and respecting them. can we say the same for this white house ?i think not.

September 2, 2007 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  8. Providence, RI

I Just LOVE Hillary and Bill... Hillary is the most intelligent, intellectual, articulate, diplomat, experinced, stylist, great speaker and strong candidate among all...My friend, David, from CA, you said it all right. You have a better vision than most of us. I like your post. Hillary is inevitable...

September 2, 2007 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  9. Scott, Newport, KY

Seeing them together reminds me of that song by Fleetwood Mac: "Don't Stop Thinking About the 90s." It's a new century. The Clintons are sooooo yesterday.

September 2, 2007 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  10. pl, at the UN, for a while.

Vote for Obama...D. Gorham says. Yeah?

September 2, 2007 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  11. Archie Holoubeck Kearney Ne.

Yes ,you have it correct when you say the Clinton show! It's always been about these two political actors and their personal lust for power and the limelight! America and its problems be damned ! Just goes to show how bankrupt the democrats are for real leadership!

September 2, 2007 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  12. VanReuter NY NY

To the fella who thinks that the Presidential election to come will be all, "Kum_bayh-yah, and flowers, if only we can nominate someone other than Senator Clinton, tell us what you think the republicans would do to define the other potential candidates for the democrats, nothing?
    It is typical of Senator Obama's supporters to be so focused on their guy winning the nomination, as remote as that seems right now, to the exclusion of what it would take to succeed in the general election. It doesn't seem to register that the republicans will run the same strategic campaign against whoever the nominee is , and that it will be a nasty and extremely negative one.

September 2, 2007 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  13. Sharon, Portola, CA

I love it: he in pink, she in blue. How obvious can you get?

Don't get me wrong, I love 'em both. I just don't think they get any points for subtlety today in New Hampshire.

September 2, 2007 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  14. curtis

It takes a real man to wear pink, knowing it will be shown around the world, and be completely at ease.

September 2, 2007 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  15. Steve Wittlake Blaine Washington

David in Salinas is forgetting about the military.
    The military will turn their backs on Hillary a lot faster than they did Bush. A woman as commander in chief of the military. You have got to be kiding.
    I did not see anything listed by you regarding anything about McCain. He was actually in the military and was shot down over North Vietnam and spent many year in the Hanoi Hilton. He is the type of person we need in charge of the military. He know war for what it is by experience.

September 2, 2007 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  16. Ron Nebraska

Obama/Richardson is the only ticket that will begin to rebuild our long national nightmare into something resembling sanity.

September 2, 2007 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  17. David, Salinas, CA

To Steve Wittlake of Blaine Washington

I left Senator McCain out of my piece because he is no longer among the top Republican contenders, and because I have too much respect for his service to ridicule him.

As to your point about the military not accepting a woman as commander in chief, I believe they’ll follow orders as always. There are female Generals and Admirals now, and they manage to command. (You can ask the Argentine military if Margaret Thatcher had the right stuff). What you’re saying is that no woman should ever be President, and I think that’s just wrong.

September 2, 2007 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  18. D, Gorham, NH

To Pl. To answer your comment "But where is his wife hiding? Why is she hiding!? Why is she not on the trails with her husband like other spouses!?" I personally met Michelle on the campaign trail with Barack and their two daughters. She is a person, working professional, a mother and a Presidential candidate's wife. I can't imaging trying to balance all of these things. Come to NH tomorrow and you'll see this beautiful family together. Past = Clinton. Future = Obama.

September 2, 2007 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  19. Trisha, New York

Senator Clinton called us, voters, to judge her by experience...

Well, let see:
    1. Failed health reform initiative.

2. First Lady in the White House full of internal nasty scandals spilled over the whole nation (from children to seniors) blaming neither her husband nor herself but right wing for that.

3. Iraq vote (when 70% was for it).

4. Anti Iraq (when 70% is against it).

Is there anything else to be added to the resume of the "experienced leader"?

September 2, 2007 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  20. David, Los Angeles, CA

Steve, you know nothing about how the military works, apparently. Those in uniform WILL do their duty, irregardless. They will never forsake their vows by breaking with their commander in chief. No way, no how. They have already weathered George W. Bush, the worst commander in this nation's history. I think they can pretty much adapt to anyone at this point.

McCain is an old shoe with holes in it, that no one is buying anymore. He is totally out of touch with America on Iraq and within his own party on immigration. Selling out to Bush and Falwell didn't help either. He's done.

Hillary is a fighter, and at the end of the day Americans respect (and will vote for) that image of strength. They way she is polling, the Clinton haters have a long four years ahead.

September 2, 2007 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  21. Chad, NC

Dave of CA,
    Thank you for your post. I enjoyed reading your phoney-redneck rant about how awesome Hillary is. It must have taken you all night in the Hillary headquarters in DC – but at least you got paid, right?
    For serious voters: did this candidate say anything of any substance whatsoever at this rally? No, no she did not. She never does.

September 2, 2007 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  22. lee, centerville , oh

Clinton gave the military only 2 per cent raise. that's really not supporting of our troops. Hillary voted AGAINST giveing money for funding our troops. That's being anti-military. Both Clintons voted to actually give MORE money to food stamp recipients on welfare than our troops.

In other words, Clintons voted to give people who leech off welfare and don't want to work, but live off taxpayers a RAISE, but not to give our soldiers a good RAISE! Shameful I should say.

September 2, 2007 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  23. sonya, atlanta, ga

Mrs Obama isn't hiding, she has two little girls going back to school. Family first- have you ever heard about it. And who is running for president, Bill or Hill. It's back to the future again. I liked the movie, but dont want a replay in the white house.

September 2, 2007 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  24. Karen, Los Angeles, California

Michelle Obama has been attending a lot of events, go to youtube and type in her name and you'll see she's way more busy than Bill.

I still haven't figured out exactly what battles Hillary has won for us. Healthcare? No dumb wars? She may be fighting, but is she getting anywhere?

September 2, 2007 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  25. MarkieBee, Sacramento, Calif.

When Michelle Obamna isn't making sure her two little kids are ready for school, etc. she hiots the trail and is often theone who introduces him. Go to barackobama.com and watch some of her introductory speeches and you will see someone who is just as inspiring as and as good a public speaker as Barack. She's been with him plenty during the past few weeks. The family ends their week-long vacation tomorrow and it's back out on the trail. Don't worry about Michelle...she is the strongest spouse of any candidate out there. Hillary is far from inevitable...and what is Hillary carping about beiong attacked for the past 15 years? Give me a break. What, the MSM asked her some tough questions about her China pattern selections. What is this vaunted experience she so lovingly claims to have? Six years as a JUNIOR New York senator...that's it! That's four years less elected legislative experience than Obama...so enough with this "Hillary has more experience" crap. She doesn't and perhaps one day the Clinton News Network will call her on her B.S.

September 2, 2007 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |