September 3rd, 2007

In the battle for union workers: Edwards winning

John Edwards has garnered three union endorsements so far during the 2008 presidential race

(CNN) – Democratic White House hopeful John Edwards, who has made a strong push for union support on the campaign trail, picked up two major endorsements Monday, making him the leading candidate for labor endorsements in the presidential field.

The United Steelworkers and the United Mine Workers of America announced their support of Edwards at a rally in downtown Pittsburgh this Labor Day. In a statement, Steelworkers president Leo Gerard said, "All of the Democratic candidates in the field share our values, and any one of them would be a major improvement over the current administration. But none of them is a more forceful advocate for those values than John Edwards. Senator Edwards is committed, as he has been throughout his life, to going to bat for everyday Americans and to changing a broken political system that leaves millions of Americans without a voice in their government."

Edwards told the boisterous rally, “America was not built on Wall Street. America was built by steelworkers and mine workers.”

The Steelworkers in endorsement called Edwards the most electable Democrat in the general election. The candidate said on stage, “I am proud of the fact that these great unions are supporting and endorsing me, and that they said, in the endorsement, that John Edwards is the candidate for president who can campaign and win, in Pennsylvania, in Ohio, in West Virginia, all the places in America where we have to be able to compete and win. I will campaign everywhere”

Full story: Edwards picks up two major union endorsements

– CNN Political Desk Managing Editor Steve Brusk

Related: TIME poll: Edwards ahead of Clinton and Obama in Iowa

Related: Edwards earns carpenters' union endorsement

Related: Clinton gets another big union endorsement

Related: Dodd hopes lightning can strike twice

Filed under: John Edwards
  1. Kevin Chicago, Illinois

This is an endorsement to be excited about. UMW, USW, and the Carpenters, too! Two AFL-CIO unions, plus a CTW union. Needless to say, those three unions are well organized in terms of electoral politics, and the USW has influence with other industrial unions in the AFL-CIO. No doubt the head of the Carpenters is talking with UNITE HERE and SEIU.

September 3, 2007 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  2. corey, sana fe, nm.

Edwrds and his ilk just want to re-distribute the wealth to people who haven't figured out the wall street smarts.Just because America was "built"by mine workers and steel workers John, doesn't mean that they should have the success that wall street people have. These mine workers and steel workers see others who are fianacially successful and demand from their politicians that they be given the same success. Enter John Edwards and his tax increses. DOn't these little people know that more taxes taken out will evetually hit their paychecks too? THAT's why they're not smart financially!

September 3, 2007 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  3. butch posey Raeford, n.c.

I am from n.c. and watched John Edwards quite a bit . John EDWARDS did not help the rich,the poor, the middle class. John Ewards helped John Edwards.
    I wouldn't trust John Edwards as far as I could throw him.THE U.S. WILL BE IN ONE H- OF A MESS IF HE SHOULD BE ELECTED.

September 3, 2007 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  4. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

I'm a consistent Hillary-basher and only an occasional labor-basher, so I applaud the workers' decisions to support the _only_ candidate among the top three who can win in a general election. His legal experience, polished advocacy, sound judgment, likability and electability are not in question, as are some of these qualities of the other two. Don't lose this one, Dems. It's a long time until 2012.

September 3, 2007 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  5. Antony, Dallas TX

pl with the UN for a while....you are such a slow job. You think Mrs Obama is shying down coz of "islamic ties". Thats why we need a population that is educated unlike you. Hhint...not just reading. Obama is the best and the only endorsement he needs is....the American People.

September 3, 2007 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  6. Tim, Cincinnati, OH

Unfortunately for Edwards, the endorsements of Big Labor don't mean much anymore.

September 3, 2007 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  7. Juanito, Washington, DC

This moron called Pn keeps posting this crap about Obama. Why don't you pay attention and see Michelle Obama at EVERY campaign stop of her husband's campaign? Your desire to smear Senator Obama is beyond lame.

September 3, 2007 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  8. Cathy Turtletown Tn

A positive article on Edwards. Thank you CNN. Let people see him in the light he deserves.

September 3, 2007 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  9. Alex, MD

To pl at the UN for a while,

This isn't the 1st post where you refer to Michelle Obama as invisible. Search the news archives yourself and you'll see that you are mistaken. Here is a little preview:

There is plenty more where that came from. But as opposed to other Candidate's Spouses, she focuses more on why her husband is the best candidate instead of bashing the others.

Have a good one.

September 3, 2007 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  10. A. Thomas, New York, NY

Regardless of these unions's endorsements of Edwards, Hillary still leads in nearly all state and/or national polls. Besides, the unions' endorsements do not necessary dictate the final election votes of their workers.

John Edwards is still in the distant third in polls.

In my view, Edwards's wife talks too much (could be personality of cancer people issue), Obama's wife talks too little (could be muslim issue), while Hillary's husband talks right enough (presidential).

September 3, 2007 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  11. John from Cinncinati

He is the only canidate out there who is passionate about America and our interests at home

September 3, 2007 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  12. JR, Columbus, Ohio

Hey, it worked for Gephardt! Oh, wait, nevermind.

September 3, 2007 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  13. E

This good news for the ABC (Anybody But Clinton) Democrats.There must be many Obama fans like me who would want Edwards as second choice.

September 3, 2007 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  14. Anonymous

I am not a fan of Obama but the comment about his wife is not okay. She is on the trail and personality may dictate why she is not as vocal as say Mrs. Edwards but I doubt it is because her husband defines her place. The spouse though important does not dictate policy and though I agree they should be visible their personalities should also be considered. Bill Clinton is a politician, he loves this stuff so yes he is more visual. And Mrs. Edwards has been through this before on the national seen. Give me a break pl. at the un for a while.

September 3, 2007 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  15. Providence, RI

I agree with David, from California. Edward looked very naive comparing to Cheney during the vp debate in 2004. He is fake. He told million times his father is a mill worker. Does it matter? He lives in 36, 000 sq ft mansion, gets his hair cuts for $400.00. Ed has a ZERO (0) chance winning the primary and the election. ZERO. NADA. ZILCH.

September 3, 2007 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  16. donna

Excellent points David! I would also add that Edwards and his wife Elizabeth have been stirring the racial pot up all summer, which certainly does not reflect well on them personally or John's ability to connect with the diversity of people in this country. Just look at the racist comments on this thread alone. Its that way with every Edwards article. These are the folks he is engaging.

September 3, 2007 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  17. Carolina Dude

With Edwards in the White House, Obama at the Naval Observatory (as VP), Pelosi as Madam Speaker, Reid as Senate Leader, Howard Dean as Secretary of Health and Human Services, Kucinich as Secretary of Energy, Richardson as Sec. of State, and a 60+ super majority of DEMOCRATIC Democrats in the Senate, we will finally be able to get something worthwhile done in this country.

Then all we would need is liberal solid majority in the Supreme Court, with Ruth Ginsburg as Chief Justice. THEN, the USofA would regain its respect in the global community, and be a true role-model for the rest of the planet.

September 3, 2007 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  18. al, San Francisco, CA

These two unions surely know how to pick a loser. It is a kiss of death.

In the 2004 election, they picked Rep. Richard Gephardt of Missouri, who later dropped out of Democratic primary race.

September 3, 2007 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  19. Sharon, Baltimore, MD

I think we should be concerned about a candidate who proposes a healthcare plan that mandates certain kinds of testing/treatment. I do not want the government making my healthcare decisions. Period. Just make sure that everyone has access to affordable healthcare and let them make their own choices!

September 3, 2007 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  20. Kristine from Washington

Thomas said:And Obama whom we really don't know anything about other than that he is black and running for president.

Why don't "we" know anything about him? He has two books out – one about his background and how it shaped him, the other about his views on reclaiming the American dream. Even if you don't have the time to read the books, the web is at your fingertips. It's relatively easy to acquaint yourself with all of the candidates.

And for pl. at the UN who says Obama studied Islam for 5 years – that's incorrect. His mother worked in Indonesia for several years where he went to school as a kid. It was a public school in a Muslim country.

I haven't decided who I support yet, but do realize that it is up to me to research the candidates, and not rely on newsclips and soundbites to tell me what I need to know to make that decision.

September 3, 2007 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  21. Cable King Pittsburgh Pa

"Mr. Haircut" isn't going anywhere. He won't even be considered for any positions in the Hillary administration.

I still have a question concerningn a"noble" component of his presidential aspirations: Why is he so vilfied for his success as a lawyer? Why does that disqualify him for being a spokesman for those living in poverty without healthcare. Isn't there a common cry from the left that "those that got don't care about those that don't"!

September 3, 2007 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  22. Independent Voter, TN

David from Salinas:

I find myself agreeing with you on the immigration issue, but am at odds with you on others. However, I couldn't agree more with you on Edwards' candidacy.

I posted a comment earlier which CNN apparently did not seem to want to print (probably since it called into question the relevancy of unions). In it, I made the point that union endorsements can actually have a negative result with the electorate at large since many main stream Americans see them as an anachronism as well as an impediment to our being able to compete in the global economy. The auto and airline industries as well as steel and textiles are good examples of this and don't even get me started on the backwardness of the teacher's unions.

I think that your analysis of the candidates (democrat and republican) is very accurate and unbiased.

September 3, 2007 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  23. Jason, Arlington, Virginia

Mr. Brusk,

You need to do a better job truly "editing" this story since it has numerous typographical errors. CNN should aspire to be better than that. I had to re-read the final line four times before I was able to figure out what you were trying to say...

"all the places in American were we have to be able to compete and win. I will campaign everywhere”

September 3, 2007 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  24. Marcie, NY NY

Once again I have to ask CNN: why are you allowing serial commenters like "pl at the UN, for a while" to continue to post despite their non-citizen status?

September 3, 2007 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  25. Sharon, Baltimiore, MD

Interesting. My comment from earlier was removed from this post. I will try again. I cannot support a candidate who wants to mandate certain medical tests/exams as part of his national healthcare plan. I do not want the government making my healthcare decisions. Make healthcare available and affordable to all and let us decide what to do with our bodies.

September 3, 2007 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |