September 4th, 2007

Bush in new book: 'I do a lot of crying in this job'

President Bush made a surprise visit to Iraq on Labor Day

(CNN) – A new book about President George W. Bush claims former deputy chief of staff Karl Rove discouraged the president from naming Dick Cheney as his running mate, and suggests Rove objected to nominating former White House counsel Harriet Miers to the U.S. Supreme Court.

In the book, “Dead Certain: The Presidency of George W. Bush,” to be released Tuesday, journalist Robert Draper describes dissent among some of the President's closest advisers even before Bush reached the White House. CNN was able to purchase a copy of the book on Monday.

On selecting Cheney as the vice presidential running mate in 2000, Draper, paraphrasing Rove’s thinking, writes, “Selecting Daddy's top foreign-policy guy ran counter to message. It was worse than a safe pick – it was needy.” But, Draper writes, “Bush didn't care. He was comfortable with Cheney.”

Draper claims that when Rove raised objections about Miers, he was "shouted down.” The book also claims that Chief Justice John Roberts suggested Miers as a possible Supreme Court nominee.

Kathy Arberg, a spokeswoman for the Court, categorically denied this passage, telling CNN, "The Chief Justice did not suggest Harriet Miers to the president. The account is not true."

The White House had no comment on the book as well as any specific allegations.

In researching the book, Draper interviewed President Bush six times. He includes some very intimate details about the president’s life. Bush is quoted as saying that “self-pity is the worst thing that can happen to a presidency.” But the president is quoted as saying first lady Laura Bush reminds him that "'I decided to do this.'"

Draper says President Bush also admits that he cries. “I've got God's shoulder to cry on. And I cry a lot. I do a lot of crying in this job. I'll bet I've shed more tears than you can count, as president," Bush told Draper.

After he leaves office, President Bush is quoted as telling Draper that he wants to build what he calls a "Fantastic Freedom Institute" in Dallas. He describes it as being a place where young leaders can come, write and lecture.

But first, Bush tells Draper, he wants to make some money to "replenish the ol' coffers,” noting he can make "ridiculous” money on the lecture circuit.

“I don't know what my dad gets. But it's more than 50, 75 [thousand] … Clinton's making a lot of money," the president is quoted as saying.

- CNN Correspondent Mary Snow

Filed under: President Bush
  1. Steve Price, Durham, North Carolina

- Sounds like this book does a lot of unsupported trashing of President Bush.
    Posted By Edward Hamilton, Miami, FLe : September 3, 2007 7:27 pm

 “In researching the book, Draper interviewed President Bush six times.”

- What a great president. One of the bravest and strongest we've had in a long time. God bless him.
    I also wish him well in his career post-presidency, and I bet he's got some great stories and lectures to tell once he's free from the responsibility (and burden) of being leader of the free world.
    Posted By Will, Norfolk Virginia : September 3, 2007 7:48 pm

Some thoughts:
    1 – Are you of sound mind; above the age of twelve; have an I.Q. above say, 60 ? You’re not a little old lady are you ? Should I even say anything – I feel bad even thinking about criticizing your statement – as if I’m considering telling a child there’s no Santa Claus .
    2 – I want to hear back from you after you attend the “lecture”. If you still say he’s a great man, and you are of age, and not mentally handicapped in any way, I would like to punch you – maybe just on the arm, but really hard .
    3 – Two questions: When you say “… strongest we’ve had in a long time .” 1) How old are you – what’s a long time to you ? … and … 2) What do you mean by strong ? If you mean: reckless, blind, arrogant, ignorant, clumsy, simple-minded, morally bankrupt, superior, disdainful, openly greedy, manipulative, unable to recognize truth when it bites one on the ass, and subject to outright dirt-baggery, then I’m with you .

Posted By HAWK,TEXAS : September 3, 2007 8:10 pm
    YES ! He’s really a GENIUS !!! He’s cleverly and wonderfully disguised himself as a complete moron in order to disarm the liberals . Genius ! GENIUS, I SAY !!! muahahahaha !

George W. Bush is a hero and a great man. We are very blessed as a nation to have such humility, steadfastness, principle, and courage in a President.
    I don't know if this book is any good because it is new, but I hope many books are written and read about one of America's greatest hero's.
    Posted By ThirstyJon, Freedomville, IL : September 3, 2007 8:13 pm

I don’t know how people have confused humility with what I have seen, since the campaign running up to Election 2000, as a combination of: Karl Rove’s careful distancing of Bush from the free press; nothing substantive to say (but rather conservative or religious buzz words and fear-mongering); a penchant for mis-speaking, rambling on about nothing, and/or saying just, plain, stupid things .

As for principle, I would like you to explain yourself there .

Just curious – the town you live in isn’t really called “Frenchville, IL” is it ?

It's very easy for people to assume the worst and be negative. Your hatred blinds you from the facts. The President has done what he has thought best and the fact that he cries often just shows he has put his heart and soul into all of his decisions. Wait 20 years and this President will be judged completely differently.
    Posted By D., philadelphia, PA : September 3, 2007 9:47 pm

Ahhhh – the historical legacy . I will bet you every dollar I ever make from now till I’m dead, that as time marches forward we will learn of more acts of a morally, ethically and legally questionable nature surrounding the W presidency . It won’t take twenty years, but the picture will only continue to get worse by the time one score of years has passed . With passage of time come memoirs, comes historical research . The passage of time adds perspective to things – makes small mistakes look like obvious supidity . I predict time will not be kind to the W era . We will not escape the critique of history’s cold gaze either . How will you and I answer our children’s questions as to how We the People allowed so many mistakes, so many bad decisions to be made, as to how the scoundrels got were put in office twice ?

September 6, 2007 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  2. Rick, Chicago Illinois

Steve Price, Durham, North Carolina,

I'm calling dibbs NOW ...

If I decide to run for President in 2024, YOU are my VP!

September 7, 2007 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  3. Dick Bacon, Alaska

Poor Bushy Bush LOL!! Poor poor baby. You need to do more than just cry honey. lol!

September 7, 2007 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  4. Carmine Fazzari, West Hempstead, New York

I have a question for those who think Mr. Bush is this sincere, patriotic do-gooder – when are you sending your kids off to Iraq insupport of this great historical figure?

this man is a mumbling stuttering drooling imbecile who could screw up a cup of slice of toast.

And by the way, I voted for his father (once) and Clinton (twice) so I'm NOT biased against President Fredo. I wish his brother Jeb would run.

September 20, 2007 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |