September 4th, 2007

Gravel ’07 on Gravel ‘71

Former Sen. Mike Gravel interviewed by Stan Bohrman in 1971 on the KYJ-TV program, "Tempo."

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Democratic presidential hopeful Mike Gravel’s trip down memory lane Tuesday included some familiar stops. The former Alaska senator appeared on CNN’s The Situation Room to discuss his candidacy and to criticize the current war – the same topics Gravel addressed 36 years ago in a television interview with host Stan Bohrman.

The 1971 interview with Gravel appeared on Bohrman’s program, “Tempo,” a daytime talk show broadcasted on the now defunct KHJ-TV Los Angeles. In the interview, Bohrman explores the then-Senator’s charge to end the military draft and the Vietnam War itself.

Gravel’s unwavering commitment to end the war prompted Bohrman to ask: “Are you ever going to run for the presidency?” Click the play button to watch Gravel’s response.

The current White House hopeful has been outspoken critic of the War in Iraq and highly critical of the Bush Administration. After delightfully watching his 1971 interview Tuesday, he was asked by CNN’s Wolf Blitzer which was a bigger blunder in his opinion: Vietnam or Iraq?

“I think the War in Iraq,” Gravel told Blitzer. “The consequences of Iraq are a lot more serious. Vietnam was a backwater. It killed a lot more people… 3 million Southeast Asians, 58,000 Americans. But the Iraq War is considerably more significant. We’ve destabilized a major portion – the numbers of Iraqis, I’m sure it’s over a million now. Before it’s all said and done, who know where it all goes.”

Two more trivia facts: From 1967 to 1973, Bohrman’s co-hosts of the “Tempo” program included Regis Philbin and Maria Cole, Nat "King" Cole’s widow. For more vintage clips of Stan Bohrman, click here. And, yes, if you’re wondering, Stan Bohrman is in fact CNN Washington Bureau Chief David Bohrman’s father.

– CNN Senior Producer Alex Wellen

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Cindy, San Francisco CA

Oliver North for president '08!

September 4, 2007 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  2. Cary - Lowell, IN

Gravel with the suit and that hair and that tie looks like a talk show host from the '70s. What's he known for? There's too many candidates. I'm on sensory overload.

September 4, 2007 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  3. JC, Motor City, MI

He was a little less angry back in the day.

I guess a few gray hairs will do that to a guy.

September 4, 2007 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  4. Alex Luthor, Madison, WI

It was a pleasant surprise when I turned on CNN today and caught Wolf's interview with Mr. Gravel. It was a great interview, with Wolf looking very relaxed and obviously enjoying himself. I must confess it made my day.

Mr. Gravel was certainly at his best. Handsome, funny, intelligent, knowledgeable, and Presidential. His infectious optimism lifts my spirit from the darkness of the the last few presidents we've had.

He makes me feel comfortable instead of intimidated. I trust him. I trust a president I am not afraid to talk to-and I do feel I can talk to him. I felt better about the future after the interview.

Thank you CNN, Wolf, Mr. Gravel and especially Stan & David Bohrman. Let's see more like this!

September 5, 2007 03:08 am at 3:08 am |
  5. H. D. Schmidt, Loma Linda, Ca.

As a Staunch Conservative Christian Republican, he is telling things like a true American should. The Founding Fathers are pleased with his words of wisdom. I may return to the voting booth should he become the Democrats' nominee for president. Of course the same goes for Ron Paul in the Republican party. So, I would have a real choice. Right now the Republican party is nothing but a mess, as messess go, with George W., America's self-declared Emperor. The Founding Fathers are weeping in their graves.

September 5, 2007 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  6. Alex Luthor, Madison, WI

In response to Cary:

You did watch the whole 5 minute, 7 second interview, correct? If not, I'd be happy to send you a copy.

What's he known for? http://www.gravel08.com (click on the issues link). Wikipedia has some great information on what he has done and the effect it had on this country. Unless savings thousands of American lives doesn't count for anything.

It took me less than an hour to go to all 8 democratic candidates websites and read where they stand on the issues. It took me a bit longer to go through all the republican candidates websites.

I understand the overload. But if you don't take the time to read where the candidates stand on the issues in order to make an informed decision on which one most reflects your core beliefs, then you are doing yourself a great disservice.

September 5, 2007 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  7. Rick, Chicago Illinois

Isn't that Keanu Reeves circa 2019?

September 5, 2007 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |