September 4th, 2007

Oprah: What do I call Bill Clinton?

Bill Clinton looked on as Oprah Winfrey prepared to give a speech in 2006. The former President appeared on Winfrey's talk show Tuesday.

(CNN) – Former president Bill Clinton appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show Tuesday to promote his new book, “Giving: How Each of Us Can Change the World.”

When Winfrey introduced Clinton, she admitted she didn’t quite know how to address the former president.

“When you call, I don’t know what to say. Your Highness, sir, thank you, Mr. Former President. Mr. President. Mr. Clinton,” she said. “Could you tell I was all verklempt about it?”

Winfrey then asked Clinton what he wants to be called if his wife, Sen. Hillary Clinton, becomes president.

Clinton replied, “My Scottish friends say I should be called ‘First Laddie’ because it’s the closest thing to ‘First Lady.’”

The former president also told Winfrey that he does play a role in his wife’s presidential campaign, but “not in an organized way.”

“If she’s writing an important article or giving an important speech, she’ll ask me to read it. Particularly if it’s something I know a lot about,” he added.

– CNN Political Ticker Producer Xuan Thai

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. Joe, Florida

I keep this seeing these Ron Paul posts spring out of nowhere into these threads.

Please, Ron should Run out of this election. He is losing in the polls. The other Republicans will beat him in a heartbeat. Sorry, but that's the truth.

September 5, 2007 07:39 am at 7:39 am |
  2. Joe, Florida

The sad thing for those who don't like Bill is that the only thing they can say against him is his adultery.

These people fail to realize that the American people have already gotten over that. The fact of the matter is that he was a very good president. I could not care less if he cheated on Hillary with more than one woman. I care about the economy, the global climate, our borders, our defense, the views the world people have on us. And, whether those Bill-haters like or not, the American people care about these more than a husband who cheated.

Like Tony from Enterprise Alabama said: "Give me an adulterer over a murderous war criminal any day!" What has Bush done that it's good for this country? If there's any anything, the bad overweights it.

September 5, 2007 07:46 am at 7:46 am |
  3. Tim, NY

Who is this ron paul u talking about? never heard of him....

September 5, 2007 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  4. Cary Lowell, IN

Reply to Twila in small town IN

Mr. Clinton was impeached not for adultery but for perjury

September 5, 2007 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  5. Bill W, Coatesville, PA

Once again, Bill Clinton is NOT running for office. A vote for Hillary Clinton is NOT a vote for Bill Clinton. Why do so many people want to vote for Hillary, thinking they are really putting Bill Clinton back in the White House? No, you're not. Bill is not the candidate. Hillary is.

Take a look at her record. Housewife for 8 years, she just happend to be married to Bill Clinton, who was president of the US at the time. Elected senator afterwards, on the strength of her husband's name. Did nothing good at all as senator – voted for the war in Iraq, voted for an immigration bill the entire nation was opposed to, and brougt the number one outsourcer of US jobs to India into New York. Now she wants to be president, again on the strength of her husband's name.

She has NO experience. Please – separate Hillary Clinton in your mind from Bill Clinton. A vote for Hillary is NOT a vote for Bill. Bill cannot legally office again.

September 5, 2007 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  6. Jon, Little Rock, AR

what do you call him?
    CFR cronie, neo-con globalist, liar and traitor.
    you're welcome.

September 5, 2007 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  7. Jon, Sacramento ~ Ca

Tony in Alabama writes,

"There are at least a million Iraqi's and others that will never get over President Bush. That is because they are dead or physically and/or mentally incapacitated by this hideously stupid war. He qualifies as a war criminal by any measure, and should be transported to The Hague for trial as soon as he leaves office."

You cite "at least a million" Iraqi's are dead, physically or mentally incapcitated... Can you cite your source for this factoid?

(unlikely considering most sources suggest 75,000 – 100,000 civilians incapacitated. Tim Robbins – looney left – only exagerates the number to 400,000. So you're 1 Million is quite amazingly "stupid" – to use your word).

Bush is a War Criminal. PLEASE cite for us the International Law Bush (and Congress that voted to authorize Bush's use of force) violated. Certainly you have all these facts laid out... we'd love to hear your legal arguement. Now granted, you'll also have to indict the leaders of the other coalition countries that supported this effort by sending their troops: Australia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Estonia, Hungary, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Netherlands, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, Ukraine, and the UK.

I look forward to your reply.

September 5, 2007 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  8. Joe, Terry ND

"Imagine what Bill Clinton can do as the First Husband"

Bill Clinton was PRESIDENT for 8 YEARS and he accomplished NOTHING (other than allowing Saddam and Osama to become more powerful). What makes you think he will do anything as "First Husband"?

September 6, 2007 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  9. Rick, Chicago Illinois

James, Phoenix AZ,

I LOVE the prospect of you still NOT getting the fact that Bill ISN'T running for prez and Hillary IS!

I love the prospect that you still don't get that Bill Clinton, despite all that you listed about him personally, was a better president then Dubya. And that an IMPEACHED president had higher approval numbers, and was respected more, than the current one!

September 6, 2007 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  10. James, Phoenix AZ

Rick ~ Chicago

I LOVE the fact you're reading comprehension skills are as sharpe as a marble.

Try re-reading my post where I identify the candidate's "spouse" and share the list of Bill Clinton accomplishments.

But you're right – had President Bush sexually assaulted a few women, gotten regular "servicing" in the Oval office you libs would have thought so highly of him, eh?

Keep posting Rick. I LOVE correcting you and will gladly repeat as needed.

September 6, 2007 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  11. Steven, Knoxville, Tenn

Obviously those folks that are against Hillary and Obama think we should be able to re-elect the 600 billion (to date) president. Three billion a week spent by GWB, while we hear all of the 'Pubs' worrying about Dem's spending. You folks need to wake up and realize how much your vote cost this country over the last 6 1/2 years.

September 9, 2007 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  12. Joanna

Clinton is such a slimeball!!!!!!!!! ME and my mom hate him he's such a lying piece of crap. If I was Hillary I would have left him a LOOOOONG time ago!!!

December 19, 2007 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  13. Joanna, 13

December 19, 2007 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  14. Joanna, 13

I severely dislike Clinton. He is a proven lier and slimeball and his wife must be too if she has stuck with him this long.

December 19, 2007 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  15. david

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Obama? I am so disappointed with black supporting black rather than black supporting the "most qualified candidate for the position." Standard Human Resource policy... you select THE MOST QUALIFIED CANDIDATE FOR THE POSITION.

Where have we gone wrong? Where has she gone wrong?

January 8, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |