September 5th, 2007

Hunter: Keep Guantanamo Bay open

Rep. Duncan Hunter discussed the war on terror at Wednesday's debate.

(CNN) - Congressman Duncan Hunter said during Wednesday night's GOP debate that, if elected president, he would hold terror suspects indefinitely at Guantanamo Bay if he felt they were too dangerous to be set free and the U.S. could not convict them.

"And let me tell you," said the California Republican, that "the proof of that is the fact that we have conducted these combatant review tribunals. And we've actually sent back to the battlefield or sent back to Afghanistan some of the people that we thought were no longer a threat."

"Some of those people have shown up on the battlefield bearing arms against our soldiers and sailors and airmen and Marines, back on the battlefield after we sent them back," declared Hunter. "If anything, we've been too liberal with the release of terrorists."

Hunter went on to say that the conditions at Guantanamo Bay were, in his view, anything but substandard. "The last time I looked at the menu, they had honey-glazed chicken and rice pilaf on Friday. That's how we treat the terrorists," he said.

"They've got health care that's better than most HMOs. And they got something else that no Democrat politician in America has. They live in a place called Guantanamo, where not one person has ever been murdered," proclaimed the presidential hopeful. "And there's not one politician, one Democrat politician in America, that can say that about one of the prisons in his home district. We've got to keep Guantanamo open."

–CNN Political Desk Editor Jamie Crawford

Filed under: Duncan Hunter • New Hampshire
  1. David, Gilbert Arizona

There is some truth to the statement, "...we've actually sent back to the battlefield or sent back to Afghanistan some of the people that we thought were no longer a threat...Some of those people have shown up on the battlefield bearing arms against our soldiers..."

The reality is that Gitmo turns people who may have had no threat to our interests here and overseas into terrorists.

If I were sent to a place like Gitmo by a country not my own and all of my rights and liberties were taken away from me I would harbor an inherent hatred for that country. If I were sent to Gitmo as an innocent person and endured captivity with no recourse the hatred I would feel would only be compounded that much more.

Gitmo is probably the best recruiting tool fanatic Islam has.

September 6, 2007 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  2. Anonymous

people dont understand that if you basically try and drowned someone they will say whatever you want them to say, so that they can stay alive and not endure the mental torture. How reliable is that?? Not very credible in my opinion. If someone were forcing my head underwater until I needed air I would tell them whatever they wanted too. I guess Hunter would love that too right??? What an idiot. We cant just hold people forever without charging them?? Oh wait, thats right weve done away with Habeas Corpus. Gee who wouldve thunk. Here is an idea. Lock Hunter up for hate speech. Not all muslims are a threat. Who is?? our hijacked administration. Free speech people

September 6, 2007 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  3. Jon, Sacramento ~ Ca

John Purves wrote, "So much for the rule of law and Habeas Corpus in the United States"

- – - -

John – The (US) rule of Law and Habeas Corpus apply to US CITIZENS. As much as you and the ACLU desire to give our enemies these same rights – they do not qualify.

Check the Constitution if you're confused.

The Geneva Convention was established to determine rights of prisoners.

September 6, 2007 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  4. HAWK.TEXAS

ARE ALL REPUBLICANS STUPID IDIOTS? ARE ALL IDIOTS REPUBLICAN ?

September 6, 2007 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  5. Jon, Sacramento ~ Ca

- – - -

Check the Constitution if you're confused.

The Geneva Convention was established to determine rights of prisoners.

September 6, 2007 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  6. Joe, Florida

Just a REMINDER!

Don't forget that Mitt Romney said that Guantanamo should be DOUBLED is size. I wonder what's his take on it lately!

September 6, 2007 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  7. VM, San Diego, CA

He's my congressman. How I long for him to retire.

September 7, 2007 03:19 am at 3:19 am |
  8. James, Phoenix AZ

"ARE ALL REPUBLICANS STUPID IDIOTS? ARE ALL IDIOTS REPUBLICAN ?"

Hawk – how about we do a little test of your theory?

Not knowing how to unlock the CAP key when writing = idiot.

Hawk = idiot.

Hawk = Republican?

Are you a Republican, Hawk?

September 7, 2007 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |