September 6th, 2007

Bloomberg still talking about '08

Bloomberg discussed the 2008 presidential race on his Web site Thursday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has repeatedly said he's not running for president. But for a man who claims he has no interest in the White House, he does not shy away from talk about the 2008 race.

His latest comments sure to arouse speculation came in a personal entry Thursday on the billionaire's personal Web site.

The former Wall Street CEO again denies he has any interest in a presidential run, but wrote, "It's time for something real…that's what this upcoming campaign needs to be about."

Bloomberg also said the question of whether he plans to run for president is misguided.

"'Are you running?' is the wrong question," Bloomberg wrote. "The question should not be about politics, but about leadership. Not who is the best candidate, but who will be the best president."

The New York City Mayor then dolls out what seems to be an early version of a stump speech.

"We need solutions that are innovative and bold, not superficial half-steps that are driven by politics, partisanship, or special interest campaign contributions," he wrote. "We need real solutions that honestly address the big challenges we face as a nation."

In recent months, Bloomberg has taken a series of actions that have raised speculation he may be considering an Independent White House bid. He dropped his affiliation with the Republican Party in June and has given several policy speeches outside of New York this summer.

– CNN's Paul Steinhauser, Katy Byron, and Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Michael Bloomberg
  1. Jack,dallas Texas

Please Run, would love to send you $$

September 6, 2007 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  2. Johnny Chicago

Sounds like he's about to endorse Obama to me.

September 6, 2007 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  3. Dan, TX

Yes, he seems to be describing Obama. But he would be a frontrunner if he ran, republican or independent.

September 6, 2007 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  4. Rick, Chicago Illinois

Maybe Bloomberg and Ron Paul could join forces since neither know which party they belong.

Between them perhaps they might garner 2% of the vote?

September 6, 2007 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  5. Lynn, Reno NV

We will all have to see who he is talking about. Him or someone else. I don't know what his policies would be, not being from New York, so I don't know if he is talking about a Republican or a Democrat. I don't think it is any of the current Republican candidates, since they support the war and I don't think Bloomberg does. Is there going to be another candidate that runs as an Independent? It is amazing how everyone hangs on Bloomberg's every word. It does mystify me.

September 6, 2007 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  6. BERNARD, SCOTCH PLAINS NJ

Bloomberg and Gore are about to officially endorse Obama. Mark my words.

September 6, 2007 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  7. Rodney Dallas TX

I'm running for President too! Anyone care? Vote for Pedro....I mean me!

September 6, 2007 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  8. Karl Rudolf, Houston, Texas

Let's go, Michael Bloomberg

September 6, 2007 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  9. Pat, Huntington, NY

Knowing him as I do because I live in NY, Bloomberg's policies are virtually dead center along the political spectrum, on balance. On social issues, he veers a bit to the left, and on economic issues, a bit to the right. He would be the perfect candidate, and in fact, would make an incredible president. He knows how to form consensus. He doesn't have a divisive bone in his body. He, not Guiliani, was the one who turned NYC around and took care of us after 9-11. I only hope he'll run.

September 7, 2007 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  10. Josue Romano, Buena Park, CA

I don't care if he runs as an Independent, Republican, or Democrat I would vote for him either way.

September 7, 2007 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  11. Tony, Enterprise, Alabama

Perot ran to keep George Bush from being re-elected...because Perot is a cranky old man with too much money and not enough time left.

Nader ran to keep Gore from getting elected, and again to keep Kerry from getting elected...probably because he was paid by the Republicans.

If Bloomberg runs it will be to keep Hillary from getting elected...because he is a cranky old man with too much money and not enough time left.

September 7, 2007 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |