September 6th, 2007

Senior Thompson aide resigns

DES MOINES, Iowa (CNN) – As former Sen. Fred Thompson was preparing to officially launch his bid for the Republican presidential nomination, a senior aide resigned from the campaign.

Mark Corallo, a veteran of the Bush administration who had served as Thompson’s primary spokesman when the Tennessee Republican began exploring a bid earlier this year, has left the campaign, Corallo and several Thompson aides told CNN.

Corallo declined to comment on his departure beyond confirming that he had indeed left the campaign. Two Thompson aides said Corallo and the campaign parted ways, because of disagreements with the new campaign management team.

He is the fourth communications staffer to leave the Thompson campaign. The former Tennessee senator also replaced his campaign manager weeks before officially announcing Wednesday that he would run for the White House.

– CNN Chief National Correspondent John King

Filed under: Fred Thompson
  1. Ron, Charlottesvile VA

Gee, Giuliani's people have resigned because of scandal, Romney has had what, 3 or 4 people resign. What is it with the Republican party that everyone's being forced to resign (Craig, Gonzalez, Rumsfeld, Snow, etc.)?

September 6, 2007 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  2. Raymond, El Paso TX

Ron (VA), that's what "cut and run" Republicans do when they know they're fighting a lost cause.

If only they would apply that philosophy to Iraq. Unfortunately though, then they'd have to eat their words so instead they prefer more Americans die so they can save face.

September 6, 2007 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  3. bprosserme

Fred needs to subdue his unsavvy, immature wife befor she trashes every avenue to the presidency for Fred. He is paying dearly already for her interference in his political run.

September 6, 2007 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  4. bprossersme

Fred needs to control his wife to be successful. She's out of control and will cost him if he doesn't take his place and show her her's.

September 6, 2007 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  5. bprossersme

Fred is letting his better judgment take a backseat to his immature, overbearing wife. Bummer Dude! I was counting on Fred too...

September 6, 2007 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  6. JengoPop

I think Fred Thompson can win. Who do you think will win the Republican nomination? Thompson, Giuliani, Romney, maybe Ron Paul? Vote today at http://www.pollicious.com

September 7, 2007 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  7. Matt, Ogden UT

Snow wasn't forced to resign, idiot.

September 7, 2007 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  8. pat, huntington, ny

Thompson is the anti-christ warned about in revelations. If he's elected, the world will truly end as predicted on DEcember 23, 2012

September 7, 2007 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  9. Bill Durham, NC

Democrats would rather Cut and RUN, just as they always do. You boys should know how, you have plenty of practice. You party will never succeed as long as you will never stand up for ANYTHING. Freedom is not a right,it is a privilege that must be protected if all Americans, even those like you, are to be able to make choices in the future. Have a great day trying to keep our brave men and women from winning in Iraq, because that's exactly what the Democrats are doing.

September 7, 2007 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  10. Raymond, El Paso TX

I find it interesting what the pro-Bush, pro-war Republicans resort to when they don't get their way or someone doesn't agree with them. They equate them to the enemy. They take on the old "you're either with us or against us" mentality. Well, we've all seen where that's gotten us.

Yes, I don't agree with the war but that's my opinion. Additionally, and as much as some Republicans would like to have everyone believe, it doesn't make me unpatriotic either.

Here's some news for you, our constitution gives me the right to disagree with my government, a fact that some you would like to ignore. Maybe you should read it sometime, it's got some interesting facts about what everyone's rights are.

I also don't appreciate anyone telling me I don't support our troops just because I don't support the Iraq war. Of course we all support our troops! How the hell could anyone not when they're the ones putting their life on the line for all of us, no matter what we think.

I also think Bush sucks as a president, the Repubicans are the ones that have gotten us into the mess we're in and it's going to take a Democrat to start fixing things. Not that they're that much better but as a Democrat, I also have the right to try to change my party.

But I respect your opinion and thank God for our right to vote! I guess we'll find out next year what the majority thinks and if the last election is any indication, well, you have to right to disagree with me and the government as well.

September 7, 2007 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |