September 7th, 2007

Hagel to reveal political plans on Monday

Hagel will announce his future political plans Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – After months of being guarded about his political future, Sen. Chuck Hagel will announce Monday whether he will retire from the Senate or seek a third term. The Nebraska senator has also refused to rule out a run for the Republican presidential nomination.

This will all be put to rest at 11 a.m. ET when Hagel discloses his decision at a news conference held at the Omaha Press Club.

Hagel, a decorated Vietnam War veteran, was first elected in 1996.

The Rothenberg Political Report describes Hagel as having a “Clear Advantage” if he chooses to seek re-election. But if Hagel decides to run, he will be opposed in the primary by Nebraska Attorney General Jon Bruning.

The state attorney general formally announced in June that he would challenge Hagel for the GOP Senate nomination. Meanwhile, Democrats are actively recruiting former Sen. Bob Kerrey to run for the seat. Kerrey retired in 2000 and is currently the president of The New School in New York City.

– CNN Political Editor Mark Preston

Filed under: Chuck Hagel
  1. Josue Romano, Buena Park, CA

Hagel is one fo the few Republicans I still have trust in and he should really run for president or at least be a candidate for VP with Bloomberg.

September 7, 2007 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  2. Bob, San Francisco, CA

I would like Republicans a lot better if they were more like Chuck Hagel and not hypocritical tools who preach morality and wave the flag and bible to cater to their base audience.
    I think the holeir-than-thou stance the GOP has embraced over the last 30 years or so is the main reason why I would never consider voting for party members in big positions of power, when otherwise there are some positions where I would favor the Republican view more.

September 7, 2007 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  3. Rodney Dallas TX

Give it up Hagel, you don't stand a chance becoming president of this country. You're from Nebraska. The same state that allows that crazy group of people to travel the US and disrupt military funerals. The same group that thinks gay people are to blame for everything bad in this country. Republicans are to blame for this stuff. A republican will not win the next presidency. Save your money.

September 7, 2007 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  4. Denise, Columbus, Nebraska

Hey Rodney from Texas – Nebraska is also the same state that gave the world a business genius (Warren Buffet) a entertainment genius (Johny Carson) and the man who helped win WWII with his flat bottom boat (Andrew Jackson Higgins). We feed the world and will soon fuel the world. We dont claim the crazy people and gays are not to blame for all thats wrong in the world. What are you afraid of Rodney, a real midwesterner with real work ethics running the country? Stick that in your ten gallon hat.

September 7, 2007 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  5. Chris, Indianapolis IN

Oooh...another pickup for Democrats! Bob Kerrey would be unbeatable. As important as everyone thinks the 2008 presidential race is going to be, it's the Senate that really matters. Universal health care and a whole slew of other things will only be possible with 55ish or more seats.

September 7, 2007 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  6. Ron Nebraska

Rodney, I don't believe the group you are talking about are from Nebraska. I'm pretty sure they are a 'church' based out of Kansas. And yes they are a disgusting bunch.

September 7, 2007 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  7. Dan, Boston, MA

The crazies are from Kansas, actually... Though the majority of Nebraskan Republicans wish Hagel would just switch parties and get it over with.

September 7, 2007 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  8. Andrew, Washington DC

Rodney, the state you're talking about is Kansas, not Nebraska. It comes from a Baptist church in, I think, Wichita. You're also wrong about republicans winning the Pres. – the Democrats are more impotent than John Bobbit's dismembered tool lying in a field. The only thing you're right about is that Hagel stands no chance.

September 7, 2007 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  9. Tony, Enterprise, Alabama

It is too bad that Senator Hagel is a Republican.

If he was a Democrat he would make a terrific Presidential or Vice-Presidential candidate. Clinton-Hagel...Obama-Hagel...Edwards-Hagel, all sound good to me.

Maybe he is going to announce on Monday that he will seek re-election as a Democrat.

September 7, 2007 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  10. Mike, Omaha NE

Excuse me, I must of read this wrong: "the same state (Nebraska) that allows that crazy group of people to travel the US and disrupt military funerals."

Rodney, what makes you think we allow that to happen. There isn't anything we can do about it. The great State of Nebraska is not responsible for that group and you know it. I demand an apology for that statement.

By the by, if we are associating blame and responsibility to those who live in the same State than perhaps I should blame you for George Bush's actions.

I won't because that is wrong, but honestly – we all know what that group does is wrong.

September 7, 2007 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  11. Matt, Manchester, CT

Hey Rodney from Dallas... Which states that went Republican in 2000 and 2004 will switch sides for Hillary Clinton?

September 7, 2007 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  12. Judge Fudge

Rodney, those people disrupting military funerals are from Kansas. Google it.

You give those of us who loathe the Republican party a bad name. I have more respect for Hagel than any of the current Republican candidates.

September 7, 2007 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  13. Skip

This man is one of a very few in Congress, from either side, that I have any respect for at all. He doesn't tow the party line and he is honest. I would support him for President in a heartbeat............. and I'm a Democrat!!!!!

Tell it like it is Chuck!!!!!!!

September 8, 2007 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  14. Patrick, Cape May NJ

I wish Hagel would support Senator Joe Biden for President, Hagel is a senator that most Democrats still trust and respect mostly because of his stance on the war. I would like to see Chuck Hagel or Dick Lugar as Secretary of State under Biden because it is the best promise of a competent and experienced administration leading on Iraq.

September 8, 2007 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  15. Ed,Ellenville,New York

Not the right time for Hagel.The only republicans left are way too stupid to pick a guy like Hagel.He'd have a better chance running as a democrat.

September 8, 2007 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  16. Joe Aldridge, Lincoln NE

In case anyone is still reading this post, it is Kansas (NOT Nebraska) that is the home of the military funeral protest groups. Not that Nebraska is without its embarrassments–that's just not one of them. Nothing positive can be said about Nebraska's stance on homosexuality or its un-ending and self-defeating support for the republican party.

September 8, 2007 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  17. Matt, Chico, CA

Lots of good things can be said about the Midwest's stance on social issues, especially Kansas and Nebraska

September 8, 2007 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  18. N. B., Omaha, Ne

Why is he leaving, It feels like a rather valuable american character and...for what it's worth, he does hug a TV screen very. Comme on Mr. Hagel, please reconsider. We can hardly envision a greater Nebraska without men of your caliber; or, at least, Have you thought of going "Independant"?

September 8, 2007 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  19. KYJurisDoctor, BgKY

I'm NOT surprised about the Senate race, but the Presidential race kinda surprises me. I thought for sure he was going to attempt a run. But I suspect, he may ed up as a Democrat's Veep candidate.

BTW: I voted for Hagel in his first Senate race.

September 8, 2007 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |