September 7th, 2007

Mrs. Obama gets personal about Barack

Barack and Michelle Obama at the Iowa fair last month.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Americans historically like to know personal details about their presidential candidates, but the latest insight into Sen. Barack Obama from his wife Michelle may be a bit more insight than needed.

In an interview with Glamour Magazine, Mrs. Obama details her two girls' morning ritual, a time, she says, when her husband Barack is often "snore-y and stinky."

“We have this ritual in the morning," Michelle Obama told Glamour. "They come in my bed, and Dad isn’t there — because he’s too snore-y and stinky, they don’t want to ever get into bed with him."

"But we cuddle up and we talk about everything from what is a period to the big topic of when we get a dog: what kind?” she added.

Michelle Obama often discusses more intimate details about her husband on the campaign trail - even her annoyances with the Illinois Democrat.

"There's the Barack Obama who lives in my house," she said when introducing her husband earlier this year. "That guy's not as impressive. He still has trouble ... putting his socks actually in the dirty clothes, and he still doesn't do a better job than our 5-year-old daughter Sasha at making his bed, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm a little stunned at this whole Barack Obama thing."

Though some have criticized her for expressing such gripes, Mrs. Obama defended the practice to Glamour.

"People have notions of what a wife’s role should be in this process, and it’s been a traditional one of blind adoration. My model is a little different—I think most real marriages are," she said.

1. Mrs. America

Perhaps she's trying to stoop to the level of the masses, but I think she's stooped too low. I'm all for a woman's right to speak her mind, but I think Mr. Obama needs to sit her down and have a talk with her on this latest blabbering.

September 8, 2007 03:46 am at 3:46 am |
  2. Gregory Kent, San Diego CA

This shows that she is politically naive. His image is warm enough ... it doesn't need her help to make him appear to be humble.

She should err on the side of not having too much lip... if she's a real, confident woman, she can manage that.

As fresh a Obama is, the entire rules of the game are not going to change for them ... she'd be smart to realize that ....

September 8, 2007 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  3. Drew, LA, CA

Embarassing...
    and not relevant..
    she's doing her husband a disservice by talking about all this nonsense...
    If I were Barack, I'd tell my wife to shut it.
    She's immasculating him and, worst of all, I think she knows it.

September 8, 2007 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  4. Al, KS

I have already decided to vote for Stinky.

September 8, 2007 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  5. Arlington, VA

what in the world is refreshing about being sticking people – grow a brain! and by some soap!

September 8, 2007 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  6. Sue, San Leandro, CA

Irrelevant vulgarities.

September 8, 2007 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  7. Barry Harvey, Kentville, Nova Scotia

Barack Obama is not a serious candidate anymore. His wife has given us Too Much Information. Bush is a moron. Obama is not presidental. He's the stinky guy with the peasant wife.

September 9, 2007 07:11 am at 7:11 am |
  8. Barbara, Washington, DC

Embarrassing, irrelevant, inappropriate.

Words create and destroy. She can chose to build his image or bring it down... once the image is out there, it can have a life of it's own, and can be pretty hard to change or remove out of people's minds. Are these the images she wants flashing through our minds every time he's in the papers, or on TV?

I hope she will chose her words more carefully in the future.

September 9, 2007 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  9. New Bern, North Carolina

i agree there is nothing refreshing about being stinking!lol i'll buy the obama camp some soap and mail it to em lol....

September 10, 2007 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  10. Heather, Ny,NY

This woman has such a "ghetto" way of thinking, I am often covering my ears because of the things she is saying. If you think you may have a shot at being first lady, think whether or not Jackie O would have called JFK stinky.

September 13, 2007 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  11. king

Obama is the hope of the USA, he can change the current image the USA has as a terrrorist nation to one of a human nation.

on top of that he can stop terrorism currently living in the USA.

October 26, 2007 07:00 am at 7:00 am |
  12. Natasha, Valencia, CA

Wow, if that's the only trash that CNN can dig up about Obama, then should there even BE an article here about him?

What's the point, guys? No matter how one-sided you decide to be, people still think he's great.

But go ahead and keep talking trash if it makes you feel better.

Ps- I'd like to know what man isn't "snore-y and stinky" when he gets up from sleeping?

November 30, 2007 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  13. John, MD

How much will it cost the taxpayers to remove four years of stink from the White House?

December 16, 2007 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |