September 7th, 2007

Mrs. Obama gets personal about Barack

Barack and Michelle Obama at the Iowa fair last month.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Americans historically like to know personal details about their presidential candidates, but the latest insight into Sen. Barack Obama from his wife Michelle may be a bit more insight than needed.

In an interview with Glamour Magazine, Mrs. Obama details her two girls' morning ritual, a time, she says, when her husband Barack is often "snore-y and stinky."

“We have this ritual in the morning," Michelle Obama told Glamour. "They come in my bed, and Dad isn’t there — because he’s too snore-y and stinky, they don’t want to ever get into bed with him."

"But we cuddle up and we talk about everything from what is a period to the big topic of when we get a dog: what kind?” she added.

Michelle Obama often discusses more intimate details about her husband on the campaign trail - even her annoyances with the Illinois Democrat.

"There's the Barack Obama who lives in my house," she said when introducing her husband earlier this year. "That guy's not as impressive. He still has trouble ... putting his socks actually in the dirty clothes, and he still doesn't do a better job than our 5-year-old daughter Sasha at making his bed, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm a little stunned at this whole Barack Obama thing."

Though some have criticized her for expressing such gripes, Mrs. Obama defended the practice to Glamour.

"People have notions of what a wife’s role should be in this process, and it’s been a traditional one of blind adoration. My model is a little different—I think most real marriages are," she said.

1. Anonymous

Thank the lord for honest people telling it like it is! People will like Barrack more because he is more like us!

I would vote for him!!

September 7, 2007 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  2. Micheal Knox, NLR, Arkansas

It is clearly noted that Michelle Obama is Barack's wife yet you use Ms. and not Mrs.in this commentary, why is that? That is another subliminal message that is being sent out, with no backlash, that African-Americans do not and are not married. Way to go CNN!!!!!!!!!!
    The terminology is Mrs. Obama, but you choose to use Ms. Obama on three separate occasions in the commentary. I expected better from CNN!

September 7, 2007 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  3. Christian, Tampa FL

I think it's kind of cute... It's nice to know something about the potential First Family.

September 7, 2007 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  4. Len, sparks nv

I don't know why this is getting in the news. It is just tabloid gossip stuff. Why do it unless you are trying to take down a particular candidate. Does CNN write about Clinton this way? No. CNN gives Clinton the pass. There is lots of gossip about her that never gets mentioned. This was an interview for Glamour magazine. This is the type of stuff those magazines write about. That the news channels pick it up shows you how far our news media has fallen.

September 7, 2007 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  5. Andrew, Washington DC

Obama's candidacy has been a great promotional tool for Ms. Obama – finally, the media attention she deserves and has been waiting for!!!

September 7, 2007 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  6. Lee, NE PA

Michelle, I find you extremely annoying. The less you say the better.

By the way, I don't think either of you are up for the job of running this country!

September 7, 2007 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  7. Rurik Hover, St. Paul, MN

I like her – she's down to earth and not haughty as most politicians' wives are.

September 7, 2007 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  8. Mary, Beaver, PA

OK Obama. You're fresh and you have a nice family, and I'm still not voting for you.

September 7, 2007 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  9. lavelle

CNN does it yet again. lol what wasn't needed about that? Speak for yourself and not for others how bout that! You should have kept that story to yourself. I read the entire interview and it was nothing short of an innocent interview into who Mrs.Obama is and her role with this campaign. Please.

September 7, 2007 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  10. phila

OH my GOSH!!

September 7, 2007 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  11. Atlanta, Georgia

No one cares about Michelle or Barack's details. Stop posting stupid things like this on CNN website.

September 7, 2007 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  12. Kelly Robertson, Houston, TX

I think Michelle is actually doing her husband a service–she's pointing out that's he's a living, breathing, flawed human being. No one is perfect and if a candidate claimed to be I'd hope this country would have the sense to not elect them!

September 7, 2007 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  13. j, larenceville, GA

Who cares about this stupid blog? I hope he wins he will get the job done. Definately better than Hillary, she is merely pretending. Obama I think is serious about making radical change. The International leaders of the world will work with him. Not Hillary and not the Republicans. Obama!

September 7, 2007 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  14. Jeff, St. Louis MO

I think this is great. Enough of the phoniness in Washington; I'm tired of it. This is real. I think Barack gets at what the people want, I really do.

September 7, 2007 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  15. Bea, Hoboken, NJ

"Ms. Obama details her two girls' morning ritual, a time, she says, when her husband Barack is often "snore-y and stinky".

TMI, Michelle, TMI!!! I like the lady just fine, but that's more info. than I care to know about any presidential candidate. I don't need to know whether Hillary hogs all the covers or whether Romney wears his make-up to bed, etc.

September 7, 2007 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  16. Jared Tualatin Or

Even his wife is refreshing.

Real people.

Pretty damn neat.

September 7, 2007 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  17. Tom - Dedham, Mass

This is kind of nice to read about. He isn't a cheating liar who chases interns, commits sexual assaults and has to pay people off.

Nope, just a good old fashioned wife and husband who love each other and respect each other enough not too stray,lie or cheat.

That's why I respect the Romney's and Edwards's as well for being loving and loyal throughout the years.

If these are considered family values, more power to them.

Unlike others who appear to only "be together" for power only.

Make note of the difference in how the couples interact with each other, it is striking if your not jaded by revisionist history.

September 7, 2007 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  18. RB, Boston

She was interviewed by Glamour magazine, give me a break! There's so much more to report on – just today Nielsen reported that Obama's website gets more unique users than any other candidate. That's something interesting to talk about.

Plus, this ticker post is virtually the same as the one posted yesterday on the NYTimes Caucus. Just FYI – nice reporting CNN.

September 7, 2007 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  19. Dan, TX

Cute, but I thought this was supposed to be a section of CNN that talks about politics. Why is this here?

September 7, 2007 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  20. emily, worcester, ma

You go gal!
    What else to talk about. I just think you are so intelligent.....I adore you and for sure don't know how you manage it all from professional carreer, kids a husband to a family.....YOu are example to many of us.

September 7, 2007 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  21. Fred Cain, Toronto, Ontario

Finally a woman, wife, that is real!

September 7, 2007 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  22. Laurie, Columbus OH

I like that she does this – she's a real person and isn't afraid to show it. She's not some perfectly coifed automaton that stands behind her husband with a fake smile and a thousand-yard stare like every other wife. I feel like I could have a conversation with her and it would be straight-up and real, not something that a Karl Rove clone scripted for her.

Mind you, I don't know if that counts for or against you when you're trying to get elected – a Stepford wife with a frozen smile and empty eyes is the standard. I'm a female voter and Barack Obama's down-to-earth wife tells me a lot of good things about the man himself. He's got my vote.

September 7, 2007 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  23. Alan, Vegas, Nevada

Is she stupid or what? She just might drag his candidacy down. I think he can be phenomenal but dumb talk like this will destroy his image

Yes Michelle, we all are snore-y & stinky in the morning. And we all fart too. Does that mean you should bring that up in a political discussion??
    Grow some brain cells & learn diplomacy.

September 7, 2007 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  24. P. Price, Statesboro, GA

How refreshing to have REAL people running for office! I applaud Michelle Obama's genuineness and I think she'd make a great First Lady. I'm tired of all the candidates who are only willing to show a fake, polished side of themselves. With those men/women, you don't know what you're going to get.

September 7, 2007 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  25. Lana Jackson, Mississippi

A presidential candidate's wife is telling that her husband fails to put dirty socks in a hamper? She is batty to believe that she is positively distinguishing herself by divulging private details of their marriage. It's also dim-witted to write off other politicians' wives as 'blindly adoring' their husbands because she is comparing these women to dogs. How offensive! I hope Barack isn't anything like his wife.

September 7, 2007 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |