September 7th, 2007

Mrs. Obama gets personal about Barack

Barack and Michelle Obama at the Iowa fair last month.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Americans historically like to know personal details about their presidential candidates, but the latest insight into Sen. Barack Obama from his wife Michelle may be a bit more insight than needed.

In an interview with Glamour Magazine, Mrs. Obama details her two girls' morning ritual, a time, she says, when her husband Barack is often "snore-y and stinky."

“We have this ritual in the morning," Michelle Obama told Glamour. "They come in my bed, and Dad isn’t there — because he’s too snore-y and stinky, they don’t want to ever get into bed with him."

"But we cuddle up and we talk about everything from what is a period to the big topic of when we get a dog: what kind?” she added.

Michelle Obama often discusses more intimate details about her husband on the campaign trail - even her annoyances with the Illinois Democrat.

"There's the Barack Obama who lives in my house," she said when introducing her husband earlier this year. "That guy's not as impressive. He still has trouble ... putting his socks actually in the dirty clothes, and he still doesn't do a better job than our 5-year-old daughter Sasha at making his bed, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm a little stunned at this whole Barack Obama thing."

Though some have criticized her for expressing such gripes, Mrs. Obama defended the practice to Glamour.

"People have notions of what a wife’s role should be in this process, and it’s been a traditional one of blind adoration. My model is a little different—I think most real marriages are," she said.

1. JD from Lowell, MA

Good article...but why are you called her Ms. Obama? Shouldn't it be "Mrs."?

September 7, 2007 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  2. Miranda Benefield, Brownwood, Texas

I think Michelle Obama is as real as they come. She has clear goals and guidelines for their daughters' lives. That will serve them far more in life than being on the campaign trail with their father every day. That is not to be interpreted as a swipe at John Edwards and how their family is campaigning. Senator and Mrs. Obama have given me the distinct impression that he is the one running for president and she is supporting his candidacy as his wife. Their daughters aren't running for first kids. While she says her role as his wife isn't one of "blind adoration", her adoration, respect, and support for her husband shows through her truthfulness.

September 7, 2007 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  3. Juro, Flint, MI

Just like working in the office, and hearing the women talk about their husbands and children. "No stone left unturned." Men, beware! They can't shut up, not even to strangers, definitely not to their friends. Nothing is sacred, and everthing will be fair game.

September 7, 2007 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  4. Shirley, San Diego, CA

Yikes....do we really need to know this stuff! I can't imagine what we will be told as this campaign continues.

September 7, 2007 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  5. Lake side, Lakewood, OH

If these comments were "too much information," as the author of this article said, then why did CNN feel the need to spread it around on the Ticker?

I agree with those who say this blog has become too mindless.

September 7, 2007 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  6. Adam, Plano, TX

barack obama is human? he had me fooled, i thought he was a superhero!

Obama 08

September 7, 2007 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  7. John, Hartford CT

I think its great. Despite my differences with the politician side of Mr. Obama, it would seem that we are quite the same on the human side.

September 7, 2007 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  8. Carol, San Francisco, CA

It's great to hear that the person we see on tv, the person we admire and look to as the hope for better leadership, is human after all, with faults just like the rest of us when it comes to chores!

September 7, 2007 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  9. Jim, Boston MA

That's disgusting and irrelevant information.

September 7, 2007 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  10. Michael Faltesek, Seattle WA

The fact that CNN or any news source, reports this as news or thinks this is scandalous in any way is hilarious. it just goes to show any reasonable person how rediculous and sad our news media is.

September 7, 2007 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  11. Andrew, Washington DC

They're liberal democrats... 'Mrs.' is just too paternalistic and chauvinistic. We're beginning a new chapter in herstory!

In all seriousness, I wouldn't doubt it if it was a political/PR move to show that the Obamas represent feminism (to counter Clinton) and the "black community".

September 7, 2007 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  12. joe wilmington,de

did it ever occur to you knuckleheads she said it to "appear" more human? never trust politicians!!!

September 7, 2007 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  13. Donna, West Lafayette, IN

My daughter has the same reasons for pushing away my husband sometimes. I think its funny & cute. I mean we are talking about the children for this point and that seems to mean he has real children as well as a real marriage.

I don't know about voting for him yet but I remember one of the reasons southerners didn't vote for Kerry was "he didn't seem like the kind of guy who would walk down main street and relate to us".

September 7, 2007 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  14. Kuro, Long Beach CA

While I likely won't vote for her husband, I like this woman. I like her a lot.

Voices her opinion, warts and all. That's a welcome change in a candidate's spouse.

Michelle Obama: The Anti-Stepford Wife

September 7, 2007 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  15. Scott, LV Nv

too much information.....but why is CNN even reporting such nonsense.

September 7, 2007 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  16. Kate, Christiansburg, VA

Hmm... I wonder what she'd say to presidents of other countries.

I think it's great that she is a normal, every day woman, but personally, the First Lady should be a little more candid when it comes to speaking about her husband, the President.

I just don't see her as a First Lady, but that could be because I view First Ladies as those of the past.

September 7, 2007 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  17. Janet , New York , NY

I love the fact that this candidate is real and so is his wife. Times are changing and people don't want stiff presidents or wives. They want real people not people that do not know what a mistake is.

September 7, 2007 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  18. Arshad, Newburgh, NY

I support Senator Obama for what he stands for on all major domestic and foreign policy issues. But I recognize that he is just another human being with his own flaws and imperfections. I believe that's the point Mrs. Obama is trying to make that Obama should not be percieved as a superman or anything like that. However, I do think that what happens in her bedroom or whether he is sonrey or not is not relevant to his candidacy for the president. So she does not have to provide this much details. Mrs. Obama could find other examples to make her point. I also don't like the fact that some times she gets too excited and speak with a sharp pointed finger in the air. She can avoid that as well. These are trivial things for any regular people like this couple is but attention to small details do matter in a highly competitive race like this one.

However, this also make another point that this couple are not scripted. Each and every single words they speak are tested by focus groups/polls. Obama was not planning to run for this office for years either like his chief rivals. So he or she will make mistakes here and there in the campaign trail. That's part of the process.

CNN buddies should find something more important, something more news worthy, something with more impact on people's lives. Why not do a research and publish an article comparing each major candidates on each major domestic or international issues. Why not educate people with right information so that they can use their own judgment to choose the right candidate as opposed to making headlines on trivial issues and making the presidential primary process a JOKE!

September 7, 2007 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  19. Jim, Minneapolis, MN

Geez. I'm glad CNN is covering such important, noteworthy topics.

September 7, 2007 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  20. Laura, Santa Rosa, CA

She obviously does not want her husband to be president. I'm all for real, but a vision of the 60's bumbling oaf husband or the Simpson's dad will never get elected. What's next – his sexual performance? A video of him on the toilet? He is a dream come true. She is his downfall.

September 7, 2007 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  21. Mike

I don't know about Barack...but I like his wife already.

September 7, 2007 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  22. Julie Seattle, WA

To those with negative comments...pull your big people panties up and get over it. The article was for Glamour magazine not the New York Times. Can't we have real people make real comments in high office for once? The fact that both Michelle and Barack are just like most of us is what's so refreshing. It just shows how in touch they are with the real people of this country.
    He's got my vote.

September 7, 2007 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  23. Olya Grove, Tampa, FL

It is great that she is a real down-to-earth person. But just because you and I poo, it does not mean we should all talk about it. You can tell your girlfriend about your husband dirty socks habit, but telling the whole country – a bit too much and a bit inappropriate.

September 7, 2007 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  24. Arshad, Newburgh, NY

Corrections:

However, this also make another point that this couple are not scripted. Each and every single words they speak are *NOTP tested by focus groups/polls.

September 7, 2007 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  25. W. Artis, Goldsboro, NC

I'm all for keeping it real...I understand she want to portray another side of him...but in her doing so, she makes it seems as if she is so high and mighty and doesn't have faults...

I think some matters should not be discussed. I can undertand if she says he is human and have faults (but to start pinpointing everything and openly discuss it...I think she needs to rethink about what she is saying.

September 7, 2007 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |