September 7th, 2007

Mrs. Obama gets personal about Barack

Barack and Michelle Obama at the Iowa fair last month.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Americans historically like to know personal details about their presidential candidates, but the latest insight into Sen. Barack Obama from his wife Michelle may be a bit more insight than needed.

In an interview with Glamour Magazine, Mrs. Obama details her two girls' morning ritual, a time, she says, when her husband Barack is often "snore-y and stinky."

“We have this ritual in the morning," Michelle Obama told Glamour. "They come in my bed, and Dad isn’t there — because he’s too snore-y and stinky, they don’t want to ever get into bed with him."

"But we cuddle up and we talk about everything from what is a period to the big topic of when we get a dog: what kind?” she added.

Michelle Obama often discusses more intimate details about her husband on the campaign trail - even her annoyances with the Illinois Democrat.

"There's the Barack Obama who lives in my house," she said when introducing her husband earlier this year. "That guy's not as impressive. He still has trouble ... putting his socks actually in the dirty clothes, and he still doesn't do a better job than our 5-year-old daughter Sasha at making his bed, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm a little stunned at this whole Barack Obama thing."

Though some have criticized her for expressing such gripes, Mrs. Obama defended the practice to Glamour.

"People have notions of what a wife’s role should be in this process, and it’s been a traditional one of blind adoration. My model is a little different—I think most real marriages are," she said.

1. Ralph L., Red Bluff, Ca.

I think they should get an Irish Setter. They not only don't mind stinky things, they love rolling in them.

September 7, 2007 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  2. Antony, Dallas TX

And this is.......news on CNN? Jeez...talk about job security.

September 7, 2007 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  3. Michael Dani

Is this really news?!? Why don't you post articles that actually matter?

September 7, 2007 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  4. WM, Houston, Texas

What an idiot...

September 7, 2007 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  5. Meredith, Washington D.C.

I think it's very refreshing to have a political leader and spouse who are capable of self-criticism. It's time that the Oval Office was occupied by a human and not a political machination. The humanity and humility that Barack and Michelle Obama bring to the table can only strengthen the global diplomacy efforts of which we are so deperately in need.

September 7, 2007 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  6. susan, glen ellyn, Il.

I wonder what Oprah has to say about the matter? She certainly seems like she'll be spending some time on the trail with Barack:

September 7, 2007 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  7. Goldie, South Caolina

I don't want to hear his wife tell the world he is stinky. Good Grief. What a difference a bad generation makes.

September 7, 2007 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  8. Eric, Mission, Kansas

And we wonder why more qualified people don't run for President. I have just one thing to say to Ms. Obama: not everything that pops into your head needs to be spoken out loud.

September 7, 2007 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  9. Jon, Sacramento ~ Ca

Dear lord have we become such a reality-tv nation that we need to know THIS about the Obamas??

I want to know Obama's positions on political issues – not positions in bed!

September 7, 2007 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  10. No Morning Prize Either, Manchester, VT

Ok and I'll bet he missed taking out the garbage a few times as well. They are a family and definately far above the Simpsons at that.

Hey, I've reached the point in life where I get up in the morning, our two Siamese cats come up on the bed to be with my wife only if I'm out it. I've stared at myself in the mirror first thing in the morning and I'm not prize either.

Some of the previous posts are pretty far off base and unfair, but Michelle has a right to say what she wants to say. Find something else to complain about.

September 7, 2007 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  11. monica, rochester new york

CNN's efforts to position Obama negatively are transparent. They post these odd or trivial headlines on the front page, but just try to find any reference to big news such as
    "renowned foreign policy expert Zbigniew Brzezinski saying Barack Obama was best suited to lead our country and turn the page on foreign policy." Why didn't they make that a ticker headline? It's obvious and very sad. I've sent them comments about this numerous times, no response of course. They're too busy crafting their "anti-obama" headline of the week and spending even more time dodging the real stuff.

September 7, 2007 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  12. Robyn, Vancouver CANADA

must be a very slow news day.....

September 7, 2007 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  13. Jeff Peoria IL

I find her refreshing and real. the stories my wife would like to tell!!!

September 7, 2007 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  14. Kel, New York, New York

And to think CNN was a respectable media outlet. They're just as bad as the New York Post gossip rag.

How incredibly stupid!

I suppose they couldn't dig up any real dirt (pun intended) so they went with this? Sooooooooo what!

OBAMA '08

September 7, 2007 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  15. Cary - Lowell, IN

I'm put off by Michelle's remark "if you can't run your own house, you can't run the White House " . I think it's arrogant of someone whose husband doesn't have much experience to be getting up there using that "preacher's" voice, lecturing us like that. I guess if you don't have credentials to run on, you'll say inane things such as that.

September 7, 2007 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  16. lane l. , hartford, ct.

how about telling voters about your husband's experience instead of his bedroom habits?

September 7, 2007 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  17. Ron, TX

I think it's great that Michelle Obama is actually being -real-. Private details about their marriage? haha! Get real people! Dirty socks and a messy bed... Obama is HUMAN! How refreshing.

There are a lot more disturbing things known about certain ex-Presidents. Acting like anything she said is gross and private is a horrible overstatement.

September 7, 2007 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  18. A. Thomas, New York, NY

I don't like Obama as president, and only think I like is his wife.

I don't want my son to look up to this Obama presidential candidate, much admired by many, doesnt do his bed, snorey, stinky, a chain smoker, troublesome and considered not impressive by his wife.

If he gets elected, many american boys will have bad personal habits.

September 7, 2007 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  19. Jolynne Richardson

It is good to know that they are a REAL American Family.........
    Barack Obama DEFINATELY has our vote!!!!

September 7, 2007 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  20. Cindy Faircloth, Newton, Ia

I commend her for sending the message that her husband is to her, just that: husband and father; touchable, reachable, ordinary.
    That despite all the high profile hype,glamour,and "hub bub" he is just a man, one with morals, principles, ethics, but a REAL person. Good for her for perhaps putting things in perspective. Maybe the next time we discover our leaders are put on display for their mistakes or indescretions we will be a little more tolerant and understanding of there ability to be like all of us,HUMAN!!!!!

September 7, 2007 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  21. J, Portsmouth, NH

"Ms. Obama"? Not using "Mrs." comes across as either disrespectful or a very strange piece of feminist editorializing by CNN.

September 7, 2007 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  22. Loyda, WDC

I can understand that she wants people to see him as a normal-down-to-earth kind of guy, but why in God's green earth we need to know that he stinks and sleep in a different bed?????</b?

way to much detail....

what is up with the wife's of the candidates?? when is not Elizabeth opening her big mouth, is Michelle telling us that her husband snores, stinks and is less tiddy than their 5 year old....

WHATEVER!!!!

WHO CARES?????????

September 7, 2007 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  23. Jackson Smith NY, NY

How refreshing! She's right about the typical "blind adoration". Anyone who's seen Laura look at that dimwit husband of hers realizes that!

September 7, 2007 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  24. Toni, Atlanta, GA

Shouldn't it be Mrs. Obama?

September 7, 2007 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  25. Andrea, Atlanta, GA

Why are they sleeping in separate beds? Even more to the point, why would she admit as much?

September 7, 2007 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |