September 7th, 2007

Mrs. Obama gets personal about Barack

Barack and Michelle Obama at the Iowa fair last month.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Americans historically like to know personal details about their presidential candidates, but the latest insight into Sen. Barack Obama from his wife Michelle may be a bit more insight than needed.

In an interview with Glamour Magazine, Mrs. Obama details her two girls' morning ritual, a time, she says, when her husband Barack is often "snore-y and stinky."

“We have this ritual in the morning," Michelle Obama told Glamour. "They come in my bed, and Dad isn’t there — because he’s too snore-y and stinky, they don’t want to ever get into bed with him."

"But we cuddle up and we talk about everything from what is a period to the big topic of when we get a dog: what kind?” she added.

Michelle Obama often discusses more intimate details about her husband on the campaign trail - even her annoyances with the Illinois Democrat.

"There's the Barack Obama who lives in my house," she said when introducing her husband earlier this year. "That guy's not as impressive. He still has trouble ... putting his socks actually in the dirty clothes, and he still doesn't do a better job than our 5-year-old daughter Sasha at making his bed, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm a little stunned at this whole Barack Obama thing."

Though some have criticized her for expressing such gripes, Mrs. Obama defended the practice to Glamour.

"People have notions of what a wife’s role should be in this process, and it’s been a traditional one of blind adoration. My model is a little different—I think most real marriages are," she said.

1. Anonymous

Obama has not achieved that celebrity status yet. Who cares about their personal things? CNN should publish only relevant issues and not these worthless personal matters.

September 7, 2007 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  2. Breckenridge, Colorado

Michelle Obama's comment was un-neccessary and inappropriate. The American people have a right to know about the professional backgrounds of a potential President. But the personal? As Ms. Obama described it? Come on! That's not the public's business – and shouldn't be. The most important issues are a candidate's policy stances, not if he stinks in bed!

Matthew Kennedy

September 7, 2007 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  3. Daniel, El Paso, TX

...and the point is? America! Wake up! This "could" very well be our next First Lady!

September 7, 2007 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  4. jt, okc ok

I think he's stinky and snory because he smokes cigarettes..
    But I never imagined that a president candidate would be so human... I thought they were all robots made by the CIA. (sarcasm)

September 7, 2007 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  5. Will, SF, CA

This is news?

Amy Goodman is one of a handful of real journalists left in this country.

Infotainment propaganda like this is the intellectual equivalent of snorting powdered glass. There are so many real and important issues out there in the world, and CNN insists of using up their bandwidth to share this non-news entertainment.

Good day.

September 7, 2007 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  6. Anonymous

This is real life. This is something that no one can make glamorous. I think Michelle is a down to earth real life mother and wife. I can definately relate to what she is saying.

September 7, 2007 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  7. sarah v Hagerstown, MD

I don't think that the other wives or husband are blinding adoring. I think they are showing that if their spouse is elected, that they have enough sense to keep their mouth shut. Noone wants a First Lady who can't keep her mouth shut and quit giving TMI. Mrs Obama needs to take a lesson from Hilary, at least she is a real lady, as she showed when she didn't blow up or act out when Bill was caught with his pants down while in office. I have never taken the time to vote in past years, but I will be 40 when the election comes around & I will definitely vote for Hilary, because she is the only real candidate. She is strong, smart, and knows when to keep her mouth shut.

September 7, 2007 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  8. david ellis, tucson, az.

i don't know anyone including, for sure, Ms bama who has sparkling clean breath in the morning and just because you don't hear her flatulation in the morning does not mean it doesn't happen. What can she possibly think that she does not smell... gimma a break

September 7, 2007 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  9. Pungu, Jeff, IN

And this is the news CNN chooses to report on. Grow up guys!!

There are important issues Obama is talking about ... how come those don't get mentioned. Me thinks CNN's got a stinky

September 7, 2007 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  10. David, Gilbert Arizona

Every candidate is a real person in their private lives. Bill Clinton Plays the saxophone. Mitt Romney jogs. Huckabee plays bass in a band. Are any of these things a news flash? Do I need to know Barack can't put his socks away or that he snores? Next thing you know CNN will be reporting that Barack cleans up after his dog on the weekends. Who cares?

I don't always put my socks away and I'm told I snore sometimes. Does that make me qualified to run for President?

September 7, 2007 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  11. Mark R. Fort Lauderdale FL

I find it difficult to think of this woman as first lady.

September 7, 2007 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  12. LinnieFB, Corona, CA

I taught a Bible Study once where we discussed 'real' marriage....warts and all. The women loved it because we discussed our husbands imperfections AND ours (as limited as they are :)

Get real America...this is a woman who hasn't spent years putting on a plastic face and talking about how wonderful her philandering husband is. She hasn't had to stand there with a plastic smile as he tries to explain away his inappropriate behavior.

Maybe Michelle Obama can be so honest because she doesn't plan on running fro president one day.

September 7, 2007 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  13. Sunny Evsich, Port Orchard, Wa.

I think it's wonderful for Ms. Obama to "humanize" her husband. The more he sounds like "everyday man" the more his chances of being president, in my humble opinion.......

September 7, 2007 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  14. David Tulsa, OK

Well lets see, everyone that dated Brad Pitt said that he stunk too. But yet he made some really great movies and is now helps those in third world countries. So all it means is that he is real.

I really like this family and I think they would be great in the Whitehouse. It would be like having another Kennedy family. But this is just an added bonus to the great job that I think Obama would do for this country. He still has my vote.

September 7, 2007 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  15. evie, syracuse, ny

Barack smokes? Isn't that a character flaw? just askin.

September 7, 2007 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  16. laura e. springfield, ma.

T.M.I. michelle, T.M.I.

September 7, 2007 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  17. Patrice, Fulton, IL

This speaks to the difference of the written word vs. the spoken word. If you had seen any of her videos, she is a great speaker, and she peppers in those personal remarks.

And one of those comments in the Glamour article, which I have not read, was from a NY Times piece last March when she spoke at a fundraiser.

Do yourselves a huge favor, and go to BarackObama.com and watch some of the videos on Michelle.

She's pretty incredible, and I wouldn't label her. She just doesn't fit in any specific category, she is her own person.

Personally, I like her alot, I have met Barack, but not Michelle, and I hope sometime during this campaign I get to meet her.

September 7, 2007 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  18. allen v. , scottsdale, az.

Step away from the microphone, Michelle

September 7, 2007 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  19. m. stein, oakland, ca.

I don't find it dignified to give out personal info like this. What does she think, this will endear people to him because he smells?

September 7, 2007 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  20. green bay wisconsin

So why is this newsworthy? Or are you just having a slow news day?

September 7, 2007 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  21. Rodney Dallas TX

Has anyone watched Mind of Mencia on Comedy Central. It's hilarious. You should all check it out. There's a skit where the Obama's are elected into the White House and it shows how they take over. Michelle goes all ghetto, they paint the White House like purple or something. Snoop Dogg does their inauguration. They turn all the white folks into slaves. I laughed so hard I almost pee my pants. You know...the same way I do everything I see that big eared Bush on TV.

September 7, 2007 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  22. Anonymous

Andrea from Atlanta: Read the interview. It doesn't say they are sleeping in separate beds, it says they come in when he's not there. Before the campaign, he was in DC 4 nights a week. Since the campaign, he's barely been home. I am so embarrassed to be commenting on this non issue, I am doing it anonymously. Everyone should get a life or return to their preoccupation with Paris Hilton.

September 7, 2007 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  23. Mike Ali, Chicago, Il

If you are looking for an execuse not to vote for the Obamas, don't let this be your execuse, because it stinks.

IT IS TIME TO FUMIGATE THE WHITE MAN'S HOUSE. SNORE OBAMA SNORE, AND LET THE STINKING WORLD , NOT ONLY HEAR IT, BUT SMELL IT TOO.

September 7, 2007 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  24. Diane K., Los Angeles, CA

Obama doesn't need any enemies - he has his vicious wife!! Who's campaign is she working for? She's clearly out to de-rail Obama! If you ask me, she's an attention hog and jealous of the light on him!!

Somebody SHUT HER UP!!!

September 7, 2007 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  25. Tami Williams

Why is it when you say stupid things you are suddenly 'real'? As if having common sense to know some things are just dumb is to be phony and pretentious. Maybe she should dump him for someone who smells better.

Should he come on national TV and talk about her body odor? If he did, would he be 'real', or just a jerk?

September 7, 2007 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |