September 7th, 2007

Mrs. Obama gets personal about Barack

Barack and Michelle Obama at the Iowa fair last month.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Americans historically like to know personal details about their presidential candidates, but the latest insight into Sen. Barack Obama from his wife Michelle may be a bit more insight than needed.

In an interview with Glamour Magazine, Mrs. Obama details her two girls' morning ritual, a time, she says, when her husband Barack is often "snore-y and stinky."

“We have this ritual in the morning," Michelle Obama told Glamour. "They come in my bed, and Dad isn’t there — because he’s too snore-y and stinky, they don’t want to ever get into bed with him."

"But we cuddle up and we talk about everything from what is a period to the big topic of when we get a dog: what kind?” she added.

Michelle Obama often discusses more intimate details about her husband on the campaign trail - even her annoyances with the Illinois Democrat.

"There's the Barack Obama who lives in my house," she said when introducing her husband earlier this year. "That guy's not as impressive. He still has trouble ... putting his socks actually in the dirty clothes, and he still doesn't do a better job than our 5-year-old daughter Sasha at making his bed, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm a little stunned at this whole Barack Obama thing."

Though some have criticized her for expressing such gripes, Mrs. Obama defended the practice to Glamour.

"People have notions of what a wife’s role should be in this process, and it’s been a traditional one of blind adoration. My model is a little different—I think most real marriages are," she said.

1. Bukky, Baltimore, MD

I agree, NOT NEWS, but NOT TMI either. It's universal

September 7, 2007 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  2. Rev. WH Los Angeles, CA

Why is Michelle Obama, legal wife of Sen. Obama referred to as "Ms." Obama, as opposed to "Mrs." Obama? If Mrs. Clinton, Mrs. Edwards, and Mrs. Bush are afforded proper titles to convey their married status, shouldn't the same courtesy be extended to Mrs. Obama, a lady of equal stature?

September 7, 2007 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  3. Adam, Plano, TX

too many of you commenting on this are way too uptight. get off your high horse.

September 7, 2007 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  4. Delancey, Omaha NE

It is hard to find Barack Obama's marriage as "real" and "down to earth" when they don't even share a bed. I don't feel he is ready to be president and no amount of hokey family stories can change the fact that he doesn't have a substantial platform. Sorry, no vote here.

September 7, 2007 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  5. Dianne, Arlington, VA

She's beginning to sound jealous of her husband's success – a little too competitive. He always speaks highly of her and she could at least return the favor considering he is running for the Presidential nomination. Sad!

September 7, 2007 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  6. Greg, Houston

So the man is normal. If you think the other candidates are any different in their private lives then you are more uninformed than you realize.

Next topic please.

September 7, 2007 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  7. Piehole

Y'know, I like Barrack Obama, might be inclined to vote for him. But I tire of his wife's ongoing digs against him in public. To the point where it makes me wonder if SHE would be a good First Lady, and whether or not I want to see HER elected to that position. I don't want somebody representing me at the highest levels who thinks it's funny to put men down on an ongoing basis.

You know what, Michelle? It's not funny. We need men need to support women, and you women need to support men. That's the model that carries our culture and our times forward into a good future.

*Of course* you have problems with this or that about Barack. NEWS FLASH: shut yer flippin' trap about it. Thanks!

September 7, 2007 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  8. Philip, Elkhart IN

I thought it was odd that the headline reads, "Ms. Obama: Barack gets 'stinky.'" That definately makes it seem like the tone of the article is negative, when it's not at all. I'm glad I read the whole thing.

September 7, 2007 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  9. Italian Girl, Summit, New Jersey

"There's the Barack Obama who sleeps in MY house"?????????

That says everything....

It's because of her that he will not be elected.

September 7, 2007 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  10. R. Fogle Houston, TX

I had the pleasure of meeting Michelle Obama in Austin, TX about a month ago. She is one of the most amazing women I have ever met. She' beautiful, intelligent, funny, genuine and extraordinarily kind. She has such a personality, and will be an amazing first lady. Obama '08!

September 7, 2007 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  11. Larry Bubb

I think in todays world of politicans are bigger than life, her approach is refreshing & honest. DOn't see too much of that today...

September 7, 2007 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  12. fatjoey,wilma de.

so he farts in his sleep too huh?

September 7, 2007 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  13. fatjoey...ctu!

she's SHERRY PALMER!!!! I don't trust her!!

September 7, 2007 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  14. Jamie

Sounds to me like they sleep in separate beds!

September 7, 2007 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  15. Jonathan, Cambridge, MA

Reports out of Washington today suggest that Chelsea Clinton won't get into Hillary's bed in the mornings either for the exact same reason. A spokesman for the Edwards campaign released this brief statement to the press: "Oh my God, TMI, you guys! LOL!" In other news, CNN is officially a joke. We'll have more on that story as it develops.

September 7, 2007 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  16. Yvonne F., Lafayette,La.

I applaude Ms. Obama, I think she is right in being so frank about her husband, as a man, that is what we want to know, after all, he is human. We as a people put these people on a pestal and forget they are human before candid for president. It is nice to know that she and he are so laid back and no different from me or you. Thanks again, Ms. Obama ,you have my vote and respect! Many, many. THANKS!

September 7, 2007 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  17. Michelle Obama

Guess old Barrack isn't as clean as Biden says he was after all.

September 7, 2007 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  18. Julie, Helena MT

Does this mean they sleep in separate beds? Doesn't sound like a "real marriage" to me!

September 7, 2007 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  19. marie, DC

I love Obama.

September 7, 2007 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  20. Adam, Plano, TX

i'm quite confused where people get this idea that they don't sleep in the same bed? i think she's more inferring that he's out of bed first. makes a lot more sense than them not sharing the same bed. if the ignorant ones here had read Obama's The Audacity of Hope, you'd know how much he loves his wife, and how much she supports him in everything he does.

September 7, 2007 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  21. Cara, Harrisonburg VA

I want to know if any of the people who are posting how glad they are to know that this potential presidential candidate is "real" are any of the same people who were earlier this morning condemning W. for saying "ass". I believe that I prefer the latter over "snore-y and stinky".

September 7, 2007 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  22. Mach

He looks like he would be stinky. Let's not stink up the Oval Office!

September 7, 2007 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  23. Bee

It is Mrs Obama not Ms. Obama. I demand an apology from CNN. This is not the first time you making the same mistake. Please get your act together. Barack obama is married to Mitchel Obama and this make her Mrs Obama not Miss Obama. Get it!

September 7, 2007 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  24. Mia, Stafford, VA

Read the Glamour article
    She said "when" Dad isn't there.
    Hello people... he lives in Washington, DC during the week, and now that he is campaigning I'm sure there are many more mornings, that the Obama family is waking up without there father.

GET A GRIP PEOPLE. This interview was a softball piece in Glamour, and as usual the so called journalist at CNN try to twist it into something more.

September 7, 2007 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  25. Rex, Toledo, Ohio

Although I won't be voting for Obama, I do like this refreshing context. For those of you that find this not to be newsworthy, I'm sure you must be the ones that follow your gal Hillary's fashion statements and hair style.

September 7, 2007 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |