September 7th, 2007

Mrs. Obama gets personal about Barack

Barack and Michelle Obama at the Iowa fair last month.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Americans historically like to know personal details about their presidential candidates, but the latest insight into Sen. Barack Obama from his wife Michelle may be a bit more insight than needed.

In an interview with Glamour Magazine, Mrs. Obama details her two girls' morning ritual, a time, she says, when her husband Barack is often "snore-y and stinky."

“We have this ritual in the morning," Michelle Obama told Glamour. "They come in my bed, and Dad isn’t there — because he’s too snore-y and stinky, they don’t want to ever get into bed with him."

"But we cuddle up and we talk about everything from what is a period to the big topic of when we get a dog: what kind?” she added.

Michelle Obama often discusses more intimate details about her husband on the campaign trail - even her annoyances with the Illinois Democrat.

"There's the Barack Obama who lives in my house," she said when introducing her husband earlier this year. "That guy's not as impressive. He still has trouble ... putting his socks actually in the dirty clothes, and he still doesn't do a better job than our 5-year-old daughter Sasha at making his bed, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm a little stunned at this whole Barack Obama thing."

Though some have criticized her for expressing such gripes, Mrs. Obama defended the practice to Glamour.

"People have notions of what a wife’s role should be in this process, and it’s been a traditional one of blind adoration. My model is a little different—I think most real marriages are," she said.

1. 2.0weblogs.net/work

It looks as if someone is airing out some dirty laundry. pip. pip.

I'm "stunned" that it is reported she doesn't respect a personal life and a professional life when there is no real hypocrisy here.

Why?

September 7, 2007 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  2. Toris

Obama is no Clinton. Of course they sleep in the same Bed. This is not arranged marriage like Billary Clinton. Please give me a break and get a life. Next question! CNN you can do better than this TMZ crap

September 7, 2007 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  3. The Truth Hammer, Atlanta, GA

"OK Obama. You're fresh and you have a nice family, and I'm still not voting for you.
    Posted By Mary, Beaver, PA : September 7, 2007 11:43 am"

Read : You're still Black and I'm not voting for you.

September 7, 2007 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  4. Evan Esteves, Boca Raton, FL

I love how the neo conservative buffoons that posted about how McCain calling that kid a jerk was no big deal and telling people to lighten up...yet when an article with the name Obama comes up you all make a big fuss about a light hearted story...You are beginning to become more hypocritical than Larry Craig..

September 7, 2007 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  5. Jamie

Adam in Plano, Its called reading comprehension..... you should try it.

"and he still doesn't do a better job than our 5-year-old daughter Sasha at making his bed"

I call it like I read it.

September 7, 2007 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  6. RA Las Vegas, NV

Too bad Barack Obama just dose not blow away liken to a fart in the wind.

September 7, 2007 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  7. Marcy, Marietta, GA

Thank God somebody is being real about what marriage is like! Sometimes your husband or wife doesn't smell or look that fresh all of the time.

Those people critizing CNN for posting stories like this are just full of themselves! We need something to lighten the mood! The war in Iraq and how it seems like all of our politicians are doing something corrupt or sleezy everyday-a little puff piece like this would actually ligthen up the mood.

September 7, 2007 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  8. Jackie - Algonquin, IL

Thank you, Michelle Obama, for being 'real'! Best of luck to all of you in the future – whatever it may bring!

September 7, 2007 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  9. John Bosco, New York, NY

Common! This is a news item!! Is CNN turning into TMZ!!

September 7, 2007 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  10. Lyunn Van Vleet, Spring, Texas

Good for her! I hate when we make 'gods' of our politicians, either through media hype, political PR, or blind adoration, and then tear them apart when they 'become human.' This exended campaign season is already full of enough sound bytes to again be wearisomely dumbing us down ... Ms. Obama's honesty is a refreshing breeze!

September 7, 2007 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  11. Why, Little Prairie, NY

Does this sound like an inferiority complex over the charisma and adoring features of her husband ....... that she has to go as far (oops!, low) as subconsciously "dog him" to this level just to show who is in control beyond the campaign trail?

As it is said: "Some things are better left unsaid".

September 7, 2007 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  12. Larry, West Covina, CA

I really don't care to turn our national politics into a reality TV show!!

September 7, 2007 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  13. A Douglas, San Diego

Wow – how refreshing! To think Presidential candidates are real people too – who knew?

September 7, 2007 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  14. Ernie Puto

My leader Oprah has bid me vote for him and I shall do her bidding.

September 7, 2007 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  15. onsted, michigan

I'm sure something like this was said about all the Former and the current Presidents by their wives or others that are so close to the I-Cons of a person such as all of these great men. The media chooses to put forth whatever they THINK is new worthy well as usual they got it wrong!!! I have a trusty pair of stinky socks that has always kept my feet warm never fell to slide on in a moment of need... I guess if I listened and believed everything the media says I should go whole heartedly to my laundry basket and put those socks on and never change them... Flip flops on issues no experience on foreign policy too young etc. In this time of all Americans to step up we really need to get it right and if the powers that be is just kissing ass to the huge corporate $$$$ then find a new job and give some other sap the opportunity to make six figures. Just like a neo nazi if we stand by and say nothing when they spew there crap then we are enablers. Media stop enabling and help us uninformed make informed decisions so we can make a bright future for you kids and grandkids. Believe me all the money you make right now will mean nothing if the denomenation is Egyptian or some other islamic state " not that I have anything against Islam " . Sign me up and I'll give you all a run for your money!!! Dems and repubs...

September 7, 2007 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  16. C. McFee

The stark reality is that Ms. Obama is NOT First Lady material and never will be. No class, period!

September 7, 2007 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  17. Tim, Cincinnati, OH

I've thought Obama's stinky for a long time. The guy's got NO experience to be the president of the US.

September 7, 2007 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  18. HS, Durham NC

By the way, you should read the actual story - an interview by Spike Lee's wife. The info about him being snory and stinky was in response to a question about how her girls saw her –as "Mommy".

September 7, 2007 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  19. Anonymous

@Posted By Kate, Christiansburg, VA : September 7, 2007 12:47 pm

You are too stupid to be posting anything. This is what you wrote:

"Hmm… I wonder what she'd say to presidents of other countries."

That is just an idiotic comment. She'd be PC just like anyone else.

"I think it's great that she is a normal, every day woman, but personally, the First Lady should be a little more candid when it comes to speaking about her husband, the President." – Nice back-handed comment.

First, you should lookup the word "candid"...you probably should have said less candid, and her husband isn't the President, he's HER HUSBAND, no matter his public title.

"I just don't see her as a First Lady, but that could be because I view First Ladies as those of the past."

Are you 70? My guess, closer to 20. This is the 21st century (in most of the US), get with the times. What First Ladies are you referring to? Maybe Jackie O? Her husband walked all over her.

Perhaps you just need to keep quiet in your little bass-ackwards red-neck college town.
    :P /RANT

September 7, 2007 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  20. Dan, TX

Wow, if a candidate says the sky is blue and it gets reported, 50% will say it is a non-story, 25% will say their voting for the candidate because he is honest, and 25% will say they are voting against the candidate because we shouldn't let our enemies know what we are thinking.

September 7, 2007 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  21. Terry, El Paso, TX

"Does this mean they sleep in separate beds? Doesn't sound like a 'real marriage' to me!" Posted By Julie, Helena MT : September 7, 2007 3:20 pm

It seems to me that a married couple can choose their own sleeping arrangements without seeking the approval of those who know what a "real" marriage is. Now, in my opinion, a "real" wife never tell a room of strangers that her husband snores and stinks. I would leave my wife at home in the future if I were Obama. What secret of his will she blab out next?

September 7, 2007 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  22. H.S. Chang

I like the fact that Mrs. Obama is frank, honest and 'real'. It shows us that she can relate to us, the real, working, tax-paying, law-abiding folks.
    I support Mrs. Obama's candid personality.

September 7, 2007 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  23. Keith Abrams Haddonfield, New Jersey

I think it's refreshing that a candidate for President's wife speaks candidly. I'm a Democrat who's sick of the scripted Hillary Clinton who plans every word and action. I would love to see Michelle Obama as the first lady. She would be much better than having a serial philanderer as the President's spouse and would restore honor to the White House. Bravo Michelle!

September 7, 2007 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  24. NIKKI, SACRAMENTO CA

I think her comments show that they are real people.

September 7, 2007 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  25. Anonymous

Oh my gosh. Is CNN serious. There is plenty of actually important news about Barack Obama's campaign. Why don't they ever talk about that???

September 7, 2007 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |