September 7th, 2007

Mrs. Obama gets personal about Barack

Barack and Michelle Obama at the Iowa fair last month.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Americans historically like to know personal details about their presidential candidates, but the latest insight into Sen. Barack Obama from his wife Michelle may be a bit more insight than needed.

In an interview with Glamour Magazine, Mrs. Obama details her two girls' morning ritual, a time, she says, when her husband Barack is often "snore-y and stinky."

“We have this ritual in the morning," Michelle Obama told Glamour. "They come in my bed, and Dad isn’t there — because he’s too snore-y and stinky, they don’t want to ever get into bed with him."

"But we cuddle up and we talk about everything from what is a period to the big topic of when we get a dog: what kind?” she added.

Michelle Obama often discusses more intimate details about her husband on the campaign trail - even her annoyances with the Illinois Democrat.

"There's the Barack Obama who lives in my house," she said when introducing her husband earlier this year. "That guy's not as impressive. He still has trouble ... putting his socks actually in the dirty clothes, and he still doesn't do a better job than our 5-year-old daughter Sasha at making his bed, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm a little stunned at this whole Barack Obama thing."

Though some have criticized her for expressing such gripes, Mrs. Obama defended the practice to Glamour.

"People have notions of what a wife’s role should be in this process, and it’s been a traditional one of blind adoration. My model is a little different—I think most real marriages are," she said.

1. Mark, dunkirk, ny

George Bush surrounded himself with the best people and the people with the best resumes. Look where that got us. If Barack Obama is not ready, when is he going to be, after 8 years in the Senate, or 4 years as a governor. Or maybe 8 years as first lady. I say he is ready now. Or come to upstate NY and see all the jobs the First Lady promised us when she first ran for Senate. So far it is a big 0.

September 7, 2007 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  2. Jo, Fargo, ND

Good for her. She is telling it like it is. "Blind adoration" is totally descriptive of other politicians wives- look where that gets them (Hillary, anyone?) Refreshing.

September 7, 2007 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  3. Sick of this story

You nitwits who comment without reading the article– IT DOESN'T SAY THEY SLEEP IN SEPARATE BEDS. IT SAYS THEY COME IN WHEN HE'S NOT THERE. GET A LIFE!

September 7, 2007 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  4. brenda carey, ms, lpc , wilmington nc

Yay for real people and real marriages. Nothing like knowing that the outside looks so perfect and the inside is unthinkable.

Don't ask if you don't want to know. Life is real. Let's' get there.

September 7, 2007 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  5. kathe oakland california

to Mrs. Obama, I think those personal details are great for the setting you were in I just don't know why CNN and media finds it necessary to exploit it. We have serious problems in this country CNN, and we need serious media coverage of our sons and daughters, husbands and wives being shot at, manned and dying in Iraq!!! Who gives a Rats A....about whether Obama stinks,snores, etc. Will that make him a better candidate. No, actually for me I hate men who snore allllllllllll night long.
    Report REAL NEWS OK CNN

September 7, 2007 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  6. Maddox, Chicago, IL

Is the "stinky" an aftersex or unbrushed mouth... yikesss! Disgusting.

September 7, 2007 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  7. S.R. Brazil, Ft Lauderdale, FL

Refreshing While I have no intentions of vote for him (them)... I like the humanizing nature of the conversations and information.....Like President Bush falling off his Bike looking human...or his daughter getting married...Oh sorry, I'm talking about another committed Family....That does not get the "nice" press.

September 7, 2007 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  8. Shenita Battle, Phoenix AZ

Finally a wife of a presidental canidate who speaks the truth about her husband!! He still has my vote!! Stinky and all!!

September 7, 2007 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  9. dawn -- Gaithersburg, MD.

According to some rumors making the rounds, legally married ladies can retain our status while still using the prefix: "Ms." If these stories are accurate, we can even keep our maiden names. Also, married women can now own property and pierce our ears without so much as asking our husbands' permission. This is due, I infer, to certain legal changes that may have been made in the last century. I hope it's all true.

September 7, 2007 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  10. Sara Brooks, Kansas City, Missouri

I am a subscriber to Glamour and these are the sort of chatty, gossipy details that Glamour readers want and expect in an article. In fact, in almost every issue you will find a "tell all" story from a wife or girlfriend of a larger-than-life celebrity, it is a common format for Glamour. But, we Glamour readers understand, while it is cute and entertaining, IT IS NOT NEWS! Why oh why did CNN pick this up?? I am voting for Obama but I was shocked to find this on the CNN ticker. How about talking about Obama's political views, for a change?

September 7, 2007 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  11. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Michelle knows her husband better than anyone. It appears he's an "All American" kind of guy and ladies we talk to anyone who will listen about the same things her spouse does. Maybe it would sound better coming from her if she were a guest on Dr. Phil show?

September 7, 2007 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  12. pl. at the UN for a while.

I am not American. I cannot vote.

Micheal Knox, NLR, Arkansas writes:

"...Michelle Obama is Barack's wife yet you use Ms. and not Mrs.in this commentary, why is that? ..."

Oh, this is really a big issue!!!! Wherever I go in my diplomatic capacity I–and everyone else–use only Ms for women and Mr for men, with no regard to age or marital status. Heads of state are properly addressed according to gender + office, excepting the heads of international bodies, UN, World Bank, Chief justices of international courts, etc. which are addressed as Mr/Ms. More, in my only appearance, as an amicus curiae, at your own USSC I addressed the justices with Mr/Ms + last name just as I address everyone everyone else, including you. And it works just fine.

In the course of the converation, Sir or Madam–no e– make the addressing easier and more dignified. That is the standard now.

September 7, 2007 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  13. Natasha, San Diego, CA

Go Michelle! You can still love your husband, even if you wish he'd learn where the laundry basket is....

September 7, 2007 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  14. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

Michelle cannot successfully humanize her husband to people who won't ever vote for him any more than Bill can humanize Hill to people who won't ever vote for her. The "won't ever" numbers for both of them are too high for either to win a general election.

September 7, 2007 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  15. Cara, Harrisonburg VA

Snore-y, Stinky, Happy, Sleepy, Grumpy, Bashful, Dopey, Doc...will these be cabinet members?

September 7, 2007 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  16. Micelle, Las Vegas, NV

wait.... who cares?

September 7, 2007 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  17. C.LyOns, New York NY

I think Michelle is actually doing her husband a service–she's pointing out that's he's a living, breathing, flawed human being. No one is perfect and if a candidate claimed to be I'd hope this country would have the sense to not elect them!

-Who like Romney?

September 7, 2007 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  18. Andrew, Washington DC

After reading a lot of these posts, I'm now even more in favor of testing people before they're allowed to vote. Are you kidding me??? Most of you shouldn't be allowed to drive a car, much less vote for the leader of the free world. You're going to let the inane comments of some spotlight-hogging bimbo wife influence who you vote for?? How about trying to figure out just what the Hell Obama's stance is on anything? Good luck finding your way out of that maze

September 7, 2007 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  19. Judy McKinney, Halfway, MO

I have to wonder, like others, why they don't sleep in the same bed. Doesn't sound like it is just because he is in D.C. part of the time. She says:

she says MY bed, not our bed. Wonder if things are as sweet (tho stinky) as they seem. As several have said, she needs to shut her mouth and think before she says that sort of thing. But I am for Hillary, so it is fine with me if she goes on sabotaging Obama's presidency run.

September 7, 2007 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  20. lavelle

I hope those who come to CNN faithfully really do there research. When they say that Obama has a movment, He really does have a movement. He is really setting a new trend in politics. And he is using "the People" and is trully for "the people" The media is really trying to "write history" but we "the people" will always be a part of it. Name one Republican front runner that can pull democratic votes? Not one however if you ask the country which democrate that will pull Republican and independent votes its Obama. And that is the beauty of his campeign. He is bringing "the people" together. That is what a leader is supposed to do, not for the fame but to help people. And I tell you what his resume speaks for it self! Obama 08!!

September 7, 2007 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  21. Norm, Elizabethtown, KY

If his wife thinks he is so "stinky" that they don't sleep in the same bed, does he have a hygiene problem or is their marriage already on the downhill slide? But, personally, I really don't care how much he stinks. He just stinks as a politician. He will NEVER win the nomination.

September 7, 2007 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  22. Cary - Lowell, IN

I agree with Jeff of Va. –
    sometimes I think the country would breath a bit of fresh air if Hillary or Obama was given the chance. Maybe in four or eight yrs. they will prove the wrong choice. But talk about polarizing – these two both have so many "won't ever" voters vowing against them, neither will be given that chance.

p.s. Are stinky and snorey the eighth and ninth dwarfs ?

September 7, 2007 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  23. Carolyn Essex, Las Vegas, NV

I like Bill Clinton voted for him when he ran for president and admired his presidency...but even as a devote Clinton admirer I realize that Bill Clinton is not coming back in a pant suit and lipstick! I'm turning the page and moving on from that now.
    Barack Obama Supporter

September 7, 2007 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  24. Vince AZ

For all of the people so incensed at the "non" story... SURELY you saw that CNN has reported on the war today. Surely they have reported on whatever Bush said today. Surely they did their jobs and wrote about things of importance. So, SO WHAT if a 'human interest' blurb was put in there. (its the internet. there are no space limitations...) And for those on that 'same' page that say T.M.I., well... OK, its your opinion, and you are entitled to it. But how many times have we heard about the damned dog Barney, or Socks.... But what is TRULY ironic, is that only one other story had more posts than this one. The next closest "real news" story comments was "35".(this one was at 152 when I entered). So can we all just get over ourselves for a minute with all of this BS faux outrage? PLEASE? (this from a populace with a current president that FLIPS THE FINGER whenever he gets pissed...) At best, its worth a chuckle, an opinion, and them move on with your life. But indignant outrage??? Over this???(can we say over reaction??)

September 8, 2007 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  25. Bobby Bob Bob, No Where, CO

I honestly see no reason why CNN would not fabricate these "blog" entries to create a fake confrontation where there, it actuality, is no conflict all along... wake up people! let's have a real debate in REAL LIFE! WAKE UP NOW!

September 8, 2007 02:34 am at 2:34 am |