September 9th, 2007

Edwards takes Clinton to task on special interests

Edwards was critical of Clinton's involvement with lobbyists and special interest groups.

NASHUA, N.H. (CNN) - Former Senator John Edwards blamed lobbyist, corporate insiders and special interest groups, Saturday, for preventing change in America and discussed why his stance on these groups—and his ideas for revamping the political system– conflict with presidential hopeful, Senator Hillary Clinton.

“Look, Senator Clinton is right. You can’t pretend the system doesn’t exist, but you also can’t pretend that it works. And this is where she and I part company because I believe that if you defend the system that defeats change, you can’t be the President who will actually bring change, “ the Democrat from North Carolina added, “When it comes to the Washington influence game, we need to end it, not defend it.”

Speaking before hundreds of cheering union members, the Senator, sporting a pair of jeans and a blue blazer, received the official endorsement from the United Brotherhood of Carpenters for President of the United States. In front of the boisterous crowd, Edwards continued after his opponent.

“She says you bring change by working within the system established by the Constitution. I think the system has been corrupted by corporate powers never contemplated by the Constitution. This is not the government of, by and for the people that our founding fathers intended. There is no principled compromise between the ways things have always been and the way things can be.”

“In the America I believe in, we don’t compromise on our principles, we fight for them with every single thing that we got,” Edwards said.

– CNN New Hampshire Producer Sareena Dalla

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John Edwards • New Hampshire • Race to '08
  1. Carrol Ann, Newport, Maine

Socialized medicine in Great Britain works! The only reason it gets trashed is because the insurance companies don't want to lose their big fat pig. Nobody in England will die because they can't see a doctor, or die because they can't get or afford medicine.

The socialized healthcare system, according to my daughter who lives there works as well.

These kind of scare tacticts are used to maintain the status quo...

September 9, 2007 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  2. Alex Luthor, Madison, WI

Thank you Tricia M Charlottetown PEI Canada! The lies being pushed by the U.S. insurance/pharmaceutical industries are sickening.

A 4 month wait for a 20 minute appointment with a NP or, if you're lucky, a DA (doctors are for those with the "good" insurance) in a "world renowned hospital/clinic system" is typical. I could go on with more actual examples but my head will explode and it would mean months (and lots of forms to fill out) before I'd get an appointment.

September 9, 2007 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  3. David, Encinitas, CA

Isaac, an important point you are missing is this: In the US, hospitals are required to treat sick people regardless of their ability to pay. What ends up happening is that the costs of the unpaid service gets redistributed to those that do pay in the form of higher premiums. So as someone paying exhorbitant rates to cover my family, I am subsidising those who either cannot afford or refuse to get coverage.

September 9, 2007 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  4. anon, new york, NY

It is intereting to see Edwards and Obama to take on Hillary, while Hillary instead takes on the republican administration.

This is a sign that Edwards and Obama worry losing their nomination bid by next February, while Hillary does not.

September 9, 2007 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  5. Rob Locascio, Hamilton, GA

Edwards is right on track with the issue of change and represents the only contender for the presidency willing to stand up against the powers that stand in the way of "We the People."

September 9, 2007 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  6. John NC

September 9, 2007 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  7. Paul Conley, Palmetto Bay, Florida

I am amazed at the resistance to universal healthcare. We have Medicare and Medicaid to cover those segments but we still hear cries against providing health care for the working poor. Who do you think pays for Medicare and Medicaid? Our elected officials, local, state and federal workers receive free medical care. Who do you think pays for it?

We are more interested in paying for our never-ending military adventures than providing human services.

We can be proud of being the only 1st world country that does not provide universal healthcare. Why is that?
    We may not provide universal healthcare but we do provide universal amazement as to what we consider important.

September 9, 2007 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  8. Brad, CA

The answer isn't taking on the lobbyists in Washington by regulating and controlling the rules by which they play... the answer is throwing their fat as*** out. No one seems to be willing to say this. Hmmm, I wonder why?

September 9, 2007 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  9. Marc Davies

As a former resident of the UK, I can say for certain that American healthcare is more advanced and preferable to that in the UK.

There are two tiers to the UK system..."Coach"(the socialized version) and "First Class"(the private version). God help you if you travel Coach route. Long delays and second rate care. Preferable to third world countries, but not as good as care in the US.

I also know many Canadians who do not speak as highly of the system up North as Tricia always does. Government management of any enterprise seems to produce inferior results.

September 9, 2007 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  10. Tricia M Charlottetown PEI

Marc Davies : September 9, 2007

Thank for your comments. It is enlightening to have different views on this issue.

I'd just like to say that I dont' speak for all Canadians. But, I'm sure that there are some on both sides of the issue. And others who would criticize the system if they had to wait two weeks for a minor surgery that other citizens would be lucky to get in three months.

I also know people in the UK living in both rural and urban areas who have a much more complimentary view of their Health Care System. But again, I'm sure there are many in every locale with both positive and negative views.

I've never heard my UK friends mention a two tiers system? And we don't have a two tier system here. Everyone on Medicare here are provided the same services and care.

In my view, a government funded Health Care System that provides affordable, adequate health care and services for all levels of society is too good a deal to pass up. And with the added bonus of being able to buy into additional coverage if desired from private insurance companies is a win win situation. Again, that is only my view.

There will always be those in every society that feel because it is free there must be something wrong with it. And there will always be minor problems and aggrevations with every Health Care System. Even those with the highest ratings. So, I'd prefer to have reliable, adequate Health Care and not have to pay for the services or the minor problems and aggrevations that are bound to occur.

But to each their own. Please feel free to take what you like and leave the rest.

I'm not pushing Government Funded Health Care. I have no political affiliations. My only purpose in taking this time is to share my experience with our health care system. And to endeavour to give a fair and factual account of the same based on my experience in PEI.

I do feel Governments should ensure that all citizens have the right to adequate Health Care, regardless of where they reside or their ability to pay. All the best.

September 10, 2007 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  11. Raj, Dallas, Tx

**I have yet to run into one person who admits that he/she is for Hillary. If they are for her, they must be ashamed of it and won't admit it.**

I admit with this posting. So far, I have met lot of male democrat voters who say they will not vote for hillary. Almost practically nill. Even in women voters, I hardly come across anybody who is passionate for hillary. But, I do have to admit that she has a passionate support among african americans. It is not a new news for democrats. Even with obama in the ticket 92 % of them will vote for democrats. Any thing below that, dems will have problem in winning the presidency.

September 10, 2007 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  12. John, New Hampshire

Michelle, Dayton Ohio : September 8, 2007 9:18 pm

I don't believe government is to problem. I believe people are the problem. People came first. I believe in our system.

September 10, 2007 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  13. Daniel, St Paul MN

GO OBAMA! HE IS the only answer to our problems in the USA. If we help him get elected, then he will take care of all the issues, with our help. WE all cannot do it alone without Obama, and the same is true for Obama also.

The time has chosen this time to elect Barack Obama!

September 11, 2007 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |