September 11th, 2007

Clinton holds strong lead over Obama

Clinton remains on top in a new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – New York Sen. Hillary Clinton remains the clear national frontrunner over Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in the Democratic race for the White House, according to a new CNN-Opinion Research Corporation poll released Tuesday.

Clinton garners 46 percent in the latest poll, while Obama stands at 23 percent. A similar poll in August had the candidates in virtually the same position, with Clinton at 44 percent and Obama at 24 percent. (See full poll results [PDF])

Meanwhile, former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards comes in third at 16 percent, the exact same number he registered in August. New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson is now at 5 percent, Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich is at 3 percent, Delaware Sen. Joe Biden stands at 2 percent, and former Alaska Sen. Mike Gravel registers 1 percentage point. Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd registered less than 1 percentage point.

The poll, conducted on September 7-9, surveyed 456 registered Democrats and carries a margin or error of plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

Related: Thompson catches Giuliani in GOP race

1. James, Phoenix AZ

Go Hillary Go... Republicans await your nomination. Hopefully Mr Hsu doesn't begin cooperating and divulging his illegal campaign contribution scheme that funneled almost $1 million into your campaign. THAT might not sit too well with voters. Well there is always 2012.

September 11, 2007 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  2. VanReuter

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they attack you, then you win." Ghandi

We're still in stage 3, but stage four is only a little more than a year away now.
    There will be attacks on the poll, sample size, the make-up of the group sampled etc. Then, we'll have the attacks on Clinton; She's dishonest, Vince Foster, her husband cheated, etc, etc. They will say that the democrats are committing political Hari-Kiri if they nominate her, some will insist that they won't vote for her, their friends won't vote for her, that she's too polarizing, that her unfavorable percentage is too high, etc.

Yet, with every poll from every source it becomes more and more evident that, unless one of the two closest rivals can work a miracle, or she makes a HUGE mistake, she is just too strong to defeat in the primaries, and the general election.

September 11, 2007 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  3. David, Gilbert Arizona

Headlines Read: Clinton holds strong lead over Obama....for 456 registered voters.

I wouldn't use that small of a group to measure the opinion of the people working in my building let alone the entire nation.

September 11, 2007 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  4. Lance in Monrovia, CA

That night, of September 11, 2001, I walked out of my little apartment in Sherman Oaks and up the main drag on Venture Blvd. There, I found many, many other strangers all doing the same thing. There was such an overwhelming need for community and comfort that night. It was like anything was possible. We'd all come together as a nation and we all looked to our leaders to lead wisely, to show us a way that would stem the flow of blood that we'd just endured.

It was not something George Bush could accomplish in a million years. I prayed for a leader who could see beyond the red haze of hatred, and I hoped I wasn't alone.

But even in the soothing presence of so many that were in need of answers, in need of justice just like myself, I could not shake my unease. I stood next to a storefront on Ventura blvd. all decked out with gory Halloween skulls, along with blasted apart limbs exposing grissle and bone beneath latex. Dangling and mangled feet hung from one window in particular that I could not stop staring in at.

In the window's reflection I could see many cars with screaming people hanging out, honking, waving American Flags as they passed as if to say "you cannot keep us down." There was a traffic jam and it had become an impromptu parade.

It was then I noticed a local news crew. They were interviewing people about their opinions. The question they asked repeatedly; "Should we go to war?"

The answer, again and again, was "yes." At that point, nobody knew who did it or where they were from. All we knew was that we wanted blood, we wanted body parts in windows for all to see, just like in that macabre display behind me.

But as I tell my three year old, what we want is not always what we need. And we all came to learn that the hard way.

I noticed the guy being interviewed on camera was a man I knew. I'd seen him at parties in the area and he was a producer for CNBC, a recent AFI grad. Previously I'd thought of him as a sober, analytical type. But that night he was wearing a Red White and Blue bandanna, an American Flag tie, and an American Flag jacket. He was irate on camera, screaming about how we should be bombing someone for what had been done to us.

I did not blame him. In fact, I felt like hugging him. Yet, in his eyes, I saw everything in that Halloween display come to life. I saw the exact circumstances of the death of liberty, reason and respect. Here was a horrible wish from a good man, who was only human, and was hurt, as we all were.

Next, the reporter interviewed me, and I told him that I thought it absurd to be calling for some nation or another to be bombed simply because, without knowing if we faced an acto of war or a criminal act like what happened via Timothy McVeigh. Was it a nation responsible or a group of criminals? Who knew? I told him to look around at the justified outrage. It was great people were coming together, but was it a rush to answers, or madness?

He responded, "Wow, you're the only person we've interviewed tonight that feels we shouldn't immediately be at war."

I responded, "With whom?" and then I went home.

I went home and I cried. I cried because I could not be sure it wouldn't have been me screaming had some of my best friends not made it out of the situation alive as they just had. It is human nature to take revenge after all.

A good leader should be of a higher nature, and to know that's not what we had, worried me all the more.

As I witnessed the events of the last six years since, I've often thought back to the outrage and community on display that night of September 11th. I've often thought of the macabre window where bodyparts were so glamourously displayed. I've often thought of how we all were marketed that bitter cold meal to follow and how so many ate wholeheartedly of it.

Ever since that night, I've waited. I've waited for someone, anyone of public note to start making sense, to start talking logically again. I've waited for someone to rise above the bickering and fear to take a stand.

In 2004, when I heard Barak Obama speak at the Democratic National Convention, I realized immediately I'd found such a man.

Here was someone that could unite us to fight instead of dividing us to do it. Here is someone who can play to our emotions for good instead of ill, in ways and circumstances George W. Bush never has imagined were possible.

The moment I heard Barack Obama's words I knew they were for me, that he understood the anger, the tragedy, the manipulation of emotion and fear, and that he understood exactly how certain other politicians had used it for their own gain. I understood that he, unlike Bush, knew how to diffuse it. He knew how to bring us back to our senses and out of the realm of senseless violence and fear we'd become so comfortable in.

I believed then at that moment, as I do now, that he would one day soon be President of The United States.

The next time a horrible crime like 911 occurs, we will have a leader that is able to look at the situation not as a tool, or a campaign tactic, or as a call to a fictional global war to benefit a greedy few, but as what it is, a national emergency to be dealt with using level headed strength, integrity and the swiftness that comes only from immense character and good judgement.

If only President Obama had been there so few years ago, what a different world we would have today.

I thought I had lost my sense of hope and imagination for this country in the months since. As time passed I thought we may be doomed to a hell filled with fear, loathing and war without end. I no longer think that. Not a bit. I've regained my fragile sanity at last.

I have regained my innocence through Barack Obama. I have regained my sense that I am not alone in the world with my thoughts, trapped on a body part strewn street corner for all buyers to beware, watching as a great tide overturns all reason and hope.

The tide has turned. We're turning it now, and we'll keep doing so in honor of all those, in the air and on the ground, in New York, Washington, Afganistan and Iraq and across this whole nation and world, that have given their lives and their limbs so that we can get to where we are, which is the most pivotal point in United States History to date. So that we can get to the place that is called change.

The planes missed not just my friends that day, but us all. Fate gave us another opportunity to make a future where planes will never fall from the sky again.

Take it.

September 11, 2007 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  5. Lek

Who cares about the poll? The polls so far is about name recognition.period. The people that were polled are just voting for the name Clinton that is doomed to fail in general election if nominated.

I am sure they will change their mind come primary day.

September 11, 2007 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  6. Cary - Lowell, IN

Doesn't surpise me – people see her as "seasoned" , and let's face it women see this as "oooohh we've GOT to have a woman president !"

September 11, 2007 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  7. providence, RI

Hillary is inevitable-she is intelligent, foreign policy expert,charismatic, strong, and a great leader. She will win both- the primary and the genetal election. That is my prediction.

September 11, 2007 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  8. Kim, Sacramento, CA

Here we go again – the media making a poll that talked to less than 500 voters seem like it is an accurate reflection of what is happening in the Presidential race.

Let me give you some numbers that represent more people. A phone bank where 500 un-ID'd voters were called, about 40% are undecided – out of those who have made a decision about 75% for Obama a few votes for Edwards, one for Richardson and one for Hillary. A walk where hundreds of doors where knocked on where voters were not yet ID'd – only four Hillary supporters, a hand full of others but most people who had made a decision have decided Obama.

This is what I am finding. This campaing will be won on the ground not in the polls. The medias bias is getting really tiring.

September 11, 2007 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  9. Curtis Kaye, Colorado Springs, CO

Hillary is one of the most intelligent women in America. She has sacificed most of her personal life and happiness to serving this country. She is a fighter. She is not afraid of criticisms. Go Hillary, go !!

September 11, 2007 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  10. Chelsea Anne Garen, Vista, California

That's great ! very glad to know all about the campaign. Hillary will win this election from both party members.

If you make conversations with her, you would understand her better.

We should be very proud of her !

September 11, 2007 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  11. Antony, Dallas TX

Oooh c'mon guys. When the deal is too good think twice. Can't you guys see that something is up here? There is no way that HRC has those numbers. This is just the making of the MSM. They always say that you cannot proclaim victory in the 10,000m race, when you hit the 6,000m mark. The race is won in the last 200 m of the race. So, please....this means nothing at all. When the primaries come..you will all be asking..eeeh..what happened? What did we miss? Where did Obama's numbers come from? Yeah, the MSM will pull their tails between their legs as soon as their prepared HRC coronation report is shred to pieces. Go on and underestimate the will of the people.

September 11, 2007 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  12. Jesse, Akron, OH

People who meet Obama, like Obama. In the states where he campaigns heavily, he does much better in the polls. I think these are signs that as people get to know who Barack Obama is and what he stands for, he will do better and better in the polls. Clinton may currently have more supporters, but she also has many more people who absolutely would not vote for her, and that is not going to change. Barack Obama is the strongest democratic candidate, and a breath of fresh air – check out his stances on the issues. He has my vote, at least.

September 11, 2007 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  13. Claude, Mesa AZ

The grass roots movement will wipe Hillary off the map come primary time. Do not underestimate the power of the people, especially when they're sick and tired of talk out of both sides of the mouth politicians like Hillary Clinton. She has zero integrity and operates in the shadows, and I could care less how intelligent she MIGHT be.

September 11, 2007 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  14. Terry, El Paso, TX

Barring an unpredictable catastrophe or a strong third party candidacy by Bill Gates, Hillary will surely win the nomination and the election. Her campaign is professional, careful, and pretty much flawless. No one has the experience and discipline that the Clinton's do. The other Democrats are amateurish and fumbling by comparison.

The Republicans will spend the entire campaign in a tongue-tied fit trying to run away from images of pedaphile Congressmen chasing interns, conservative Senators attempting homosexual seduction in mens' room stalls, a war in Iraq that is not going to produce any good news for at least a few years, and their shameful performance in Congress where they did everything but put cash registers in their outer offices.

This is too bad. The country will be gridlocked again by the frothing anger that Conservatives feel against the Clintons and the unlimited amount of corporate money that will be poured into opposing any kind of meaningful change.

Bummer.

September 11, 2007 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  15. Pam Eugene OR

How are the people you are polling? I don't know anyone who will even admit to liking her!
    I know...it is the old people with rotery phones. Why not try young people with cell phones. You will get a very different answer.

September 11, 2007 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  16. mike canfield, cleveland, ohio

Lek – face it – she's going to win and obama is not.

September 11, 2007 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  17. Common Sense, USA

Lieberman was the "clear national frontrunner" in the national polls in September 2004. Kerry was polling at around 6%.

THESE POLLS ARE MEANINGLESS. I wish the media would stop forcing these polls down our throats.

September 11, 2007 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  18. Maria, Houston

456 people surveyed by CNN? Ha-ha. I really wonder about "scientific" methods used in these polls...just how do you select your sample population?Like – who is available and willing to answer the phone and pick a name while the dinner is getting cold and kids are misbehaving?... How about to compare the ATTENDANCE at political events or number of INDIVIDUAL contributors to candidate's campaign fund? To me that is certainly more significant of real interest and committment and based on that Barack Obama has nothing to worry about...

September 11, 2007 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  19. Andrew, Washington DC

456 people were polled to come up with these results? That's it? How many people do we have again in our nation?

Just wait. Don't underestimate Obama and don't draw your national conclusions from 456 people!

September 11, 2007 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  20. AT, new york, NY

As she said it correctly from day one: she is in and she is in to win.

It is beyond the name recognition stage now. I am impressed with her debates, and how she handles herself in her campaigning. The latest example is her returning over $800,000 contributions from Hsu, while other dems candidates either don't know what to do (aka inexperienced) or just greedy.

Go Hillary Go!

September 11, 2007 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  21. Stephen

National polls do not matter, as I and many others say. The early states matter, and they matter the few weeks before they happen. So now we are just riding out until then.

September 11, 2007 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  22. Mike, Essex Junction, VT

I don't think this polling is terribly fair. It only surveyed registered democrats. Obama's message is mostly targeted towards people who are tired of politics and want a change. These are not typically people who feel so involved with politics that they actually go out and register themselves. If you polled the general population (with a bigger sampling size, too) I'm sure you'd find a much different story.

September 11, 2007 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  23. Anthony, Los Angeles, CA

WOW, didn't know CNN will not post anything that questions Hillary's stance or her experience as First Lady. Anyone open to let me know what her experience is, please respond. And try to respond without using First Lady of white house or First Lady of Arkansas. Also, one piece of legislation that she has authored or passed with significane since being elected to Senate seat????

September 11, 2007 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  24. IJ, Edmonton, Alberta

Hilary Clinton will be the next president of America and it's first female president. This is purely on her on merit. Her record speaks for itself.
    She has the breath and depth to lead America and has excellent goodwill from around the world needed to repair American's damaged image abroad.
    After making wrong choices, I hope American people will find it easier this time to decifer the good and bad choices and go for the best.

September 11, 2007 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  25. Tomas Today, Austin, Texas

Wake up people, Independent's, DEMOCRAT'S!!! This is really bad news for anyone hoping for change in AMERICA!!! Want more of the same? Keep supporting a Hillary candidacy and we'll get just what we've got now – more of the same Bush propaganda, Republican platform with absolute domination, less constitutional rights for all AMERICAN PEOPLE! Hillary is not an electable candidate!!! We need real change in this country. Support real change and hope for our screwed up (by the Bush Administration) country – OBAMA in 2008.

September 11, 2007 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |