September 11th, 2007

Clinton holds strong lead over Obama

Clinton remains on top in a new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – New York Sen. Hillary Clinton remains the clear national frontrunner over Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in the Democratic race for the White House, according to a new CNN-Opinion Research Corporation poll released Tuesday.

Clinton garners 46 percent in the latest poll, while Obama stands at 23 percent. A similar poll in August had the candidates in virtually the same position, with Clinton at 44 percent and Obama at 24 percent. (See full poll results [PDF])

Meanwhile, former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards comes in third at 16 percent, the exact same number he registered in August. New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson is now at 5 percent, Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich is at 3 percent, Delaware Sen. Joe Biden stands at 2 percent, and former Alaska Sen. Mike Gravel registers 1 percentage point. Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd registered less than 1 percentage point.

The poll, conducted on September 7-9, surveyed 456 registered Democrats and carries a margin or error of plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

Related: Thompson catches Giuliani in GOP race

1. Kevin Keefer, Stony Point, NY

If Hillary is damned intelligent and concerned about America why are their still so many kids in Arkansas in poor families of all different races starving and uneducated and without health care!! Run away Hillary....run away!!!

September 12, 2007 03:54 am at 3:54 am |
  2. VM, San Diego, CA

I see what you're doing. You're posting all these polls, knowing full well that all they're tracking is name recognition at this point, so that when Obama starts winning the primaries in January, you can put together a lot of dramatic coverage of The Biggest Upset In Political History and get yourselves a big ratings boost and a new batch of awards. Right? I mean, you couldn't be squandering what's left of your reputation out of laziness or even a desire to promote a particular candidate. It's all an elaborate ruse.

Right?

September 12, 2007 04:49 am at 4:49 am |
  3. Sam, Ia

Hillary or any other democrat will have thier work cut out for them repairing the damage done to the image of our country by the clowns who have blundered thier way through disaster after disaster for the last 6 years. The attack poodles of the right have become just white noise to the american people now and the most qualified candidate may be able to beat the diebold, republican bounce.

September 12, 2007 04:57 am at 4:57 am |
  4. AJ; Montpelier, VT

Of course. She is the best man for the job!!

September 12, 2007 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  5. anon, ottawa, OH

Hillary is a seasoned politician and know what to do quick politically. This is exemplified when she immediately returned Hsu's $800,000 while other dem candidates still keep the money.

September 12, 2007 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  6. lavelle

Hillary is a foreign policy expert?
    Since when??

So CNN polled 456 registered Democrats and used that data to tell America that Hillary is in the lead? LMAO…too funny. I just took a look at the actual PDF document of the poll, and it shows that 23% of those polled either haven't heard of Obama or have no opinion of him yet, due to not knowing him.
    Hillary is in the lead because of name recognition…I wish the media would tell people that.

^ Exactly I said the same thing but CNN didn’t post my comment. I guess they didn’t want people to see how I outlined her experience. Like she's not experienced in foreign affairs but marital affairs however she is number 1 in.

September 12, 2007 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  7. Providence, RI

To Tom, Dedham:

Tom, it should read "general"; not genetal. I posted the correction, but CNN deleted it. However, you sound like you are one of those blind Hillary haters, who does not appreciate anything about Clintons, and I met plenty of them. It is surprising that you live in one of the most bluest state in the country, which is MA. Shoudn't you move to Alabama, Idaho, Utah etc? And stop bashing Hillary and Bill.

September 12, 2007 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  8. Mary, Beaver, PA

It's amazing that people would think that women would vote for Hillary just because she's a woman. It's equally amazing that people think that people would NOT vote for Hillary just because she's a woman. I'M NOT VOTING FOR HILLARY BECAUSE SHE'S A SOCIALIST!! AND A SMUG KNOW-IT-ALL SOCIALIST, TO BOOT!!

September 12, 2007 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  9. Tricia M Charlottetown PEI

It appears that most Americans assess Presidential Candidates on party lines and characteristics that have a semblance of change regardless of whether it be positive or negative!

What would be a real breath of fresh air would be to see comments on this blog supporting Candidates based on Leadership Capabilities and Experience. As given the last eight years of the Bush Reign, to vote for a Candidate who has little of either is to keep America on the road of devastation and in the trenches of Iraq for good.

When I read Americans' comments of Praise for Rudy, Fred, Mitt and Ron the scenes of another four years of world terror loom before me.

I have to wonder if America has even a slight chance of ever restoring their nation or their worldly image.

September 12, 2007 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  10. Mike, Milwaukee, WI

Hillary still beats all of the Republicans in the General also! That's gotta make the GOP cringe. If the Dem's put up there most unfavorable candidate and they still win....it'll be a clear indicator that George Bush has finished the GOP...

September 12, 2007 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  11. roger, conway sc

I think Hillary will be a great president. All of her baggage has been exposed over the years and I feel she has gotten her act together. This nation needs a change from the neo-conservatives & religious right who have failed us as a nation. The dems are not perfect but the GOP seem to be more corrupt and there a so many hypocrites in the republican party.

September 12, 2007 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  12. Susan, Fort Pierce, Florida

Tricia in charlottetown said it best.
    None of the Republican Candidates will have my vote.
    Hillary is Good!
    What is wrong with some socialism? We had a mixed economy for years and it worked just fine!!
    I just saw in USA Today that the country is moving to the left. Great!
    The Right Wing Agenda has been a disaster for the vast majority of Americans! Go Hillary!!

September 12, 2007 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  13. Bea, Hoboken, NJ

Hey, CNN…you're polls are meaningless. Isn't the man in charge of conducting your polls a big supporter of Hillary Clinton?? What a coincidence she always is ahead. Hmmmm….

Posted By Anonymous : September 11, 2007 11:00 pm

I think that you are forgetting the fact that she leads the Democratic field by double digits en every poll conducted in the last few months. Barring any major eventuality, she will be the Democratic nominee, to the chagrin of some and the delight of others.

September 12, 2007 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  14. CitizenJ

Providence,

Lets go through your argument:

Clinton is inevitable? I don't see how this could possibly be a factual statement. It is just fanciful thinking for those who have decided to stop paying attention.

Clinton is intelligent? So are the other 534 members of the House/Senate. And our president isn't, so that proves that you don't need intelligence to be elected.

Foreign policy expert? Uh, how exactly? She was First Lady for 8 years. I guess that counts.

Charismatic? Yeah, about as Charismatic as a monotone recording of a Millard Filmore speech.

Strong? I don't know what you mean. Can she bench press 250? Or does that mean she stands up to the big bad right wing machine? I'm not sure.

A great leader? I guess if you mean she has been the last one to reveal her plan for...everything. I still don't know anything about her healthcare plan except that it has 10 points, just like all of her other plans.

And lastly, your predictions are uninformed and I wouldn't trust them if you told me that peanut butter would continue to be made with peanuts into the next decade.

September 12, 2007 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  15. Jess, Georgetown, KY

I am shocked that no one has commented on the distgustingly sexist remark made by "Cary." I am a woman, and personally, I am voting for Barack Obama, because I am most closely aligned with his politics and believe him to be the best candidate. In fact, many of my female friends are Obama supporters and many of my male friends are Hillary supporters. Assuming that women will vote for Hillary just to get a female president is assuming that women aren't intelligent enough and well-informed enough to make a decision on merit. Of course, it's also passive aggressive sexism to assume that the only reason Hillary would get elected is because of all the stupid women. Really, if the nation is full of people like this, it's no wonder the sociopolitical tragedy we have endured for the past eight years.

September 12, 2007 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  16. Cable King Pittsburgh Pa

Hey Mary,

If "socialist" means all Americans get health care then sign me up. Fortunatly, there are some of us that think that's not too much to expect from the USA – you know – like in God We Trust.

September 12, 2007 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  17. Mike Dallas, TX

Is this CNN poll still being done by Mr. Gupta's polling company? If it is then it is laughable because he he is a big Clinton contributor.

September 12, 2007 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  18. Bill W, Coatesville PA

When I read the comments in these blogs, I am just amazed at the sheer ignorance, the ridiculous reasons people have for choosing a candidate, the total disregard for past events, and I am actually very frightened that some of the people posting here will actually be allowed to vote.

No wonder we got Bush twice.

September 12, 2007 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  19. Chris, Middletown, CT

Hillary is a left wing Democrat. She polarizes the country....this is NOT someone we want. To Davids point – you need a reason not to vote for her....pick a year...and theres a scandal – look at the universal health care...and she says she can do it without raising taxes – tell the Canadians – they have a 60% tax rate to pay for this. Its a sad day when the Democrats are able to convince people that Republicans eat babies...and don't vote for them...then all the "disenfranchised voters" march to the polls to blindly follow the rhetoric pumped out....its a sad state of affairs...

September 12, 2007 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  20. Danielle Clarke Phila Pa

I think many of us are tired of division politics.

It does none of us any good.

We need politicians who want to do the real business of we the people.

Will honesty win ?

It will if WE are honest.

If many of us continue seeking a winner versus honesty we all lose.

""People who own races horses try to own all the ponies in the race. That way they can't lose, while the masses in the stands losa at the hands of these owners""

For many many years thats is what the group Bilderberg has done and so we the people in the stands can't see the bigger picture and most of us get taken to the cleaners.

I am tired of being controlled and the only way we can win is to not play their game and elect a president who isn't controlled by the powers to be.

GOBAMA

September 12, 2007 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  21. Tammy, Denton, Maryland

Sen. Clinton has charges swirling around her for unethical and possibly illegal fund-raising (Peter Paul, Hsu, etc.) and you guys are contemplating voting for her to be leader of the free world?

Sen. Clinton is one of the most powerful members of the senate and in seven years she has done absolutely nothing to harness that power for the good of the American people (healthcare, etc.), and you folks are thinking about voting for her?

Sen. Clinton is at the center of American job outsourcing, and you folks are thinking about voting for her?

Sen. Clinton has surrounded herself with unionbusting advisors and you guys are thinking about voting for her?

I don't understand what you guys are thinking about.

Don't get too hung up in these polls. You'll be very disappointed when the real polls come out.

September 12, 2007 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  22. Danny G. Boca Raton, FL

The more I get to know about her, the more I know she is the right person for the presidency. More should at least give her the decency of listening to what she says. I pride myself on being open minded about all candidates, dems and GOP, down't we owe this country at least that much?

September 12, 2007 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  23. Dan, TX

I think the fact the the neoCon republicans have spent, spent, spent. My tax break is going to the Iraqi people to the tune of $2 billion a week.

Everyone, including McCain, who is the biggest supporter of staying as long as he thinks necessary in Iraq says that Bush bungled for years.

I think the current strategy is going well. We can give the Iraqis one more year to get their act together, then we have to be out. We should start reducing troop levels very soon as the Iraqis take over and be down to minimal security levels within 2 years.

This is the same plan for BOTH the Republicans and Democrats. There is no argument!

So the most centrist republican could beat the most liberal democrat, and any democrat would beat a neoCon Republican.

Who has the most common sense approach and the least divisive political temperament will be the next president. The primaries are critical for both parties.

September 12, 2007 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  24. Karen, Pasadena, California

Clinton is doing as well as Lieberman was 4 years ago. I'm thinking she will have the same results.

Polls are very good at showing name recognition. So who is the 1% of people who haven't heard of her? Where have they been all these years while her husband was PRESIDENT?

September 12, 2007 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  25. Lee from Beavercreek

Obama 08! No doubt about it. So Kupta you and Hillary can fix every poll you like but you wont be able to fix the one that counts.

September 12, 2007 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |