September 12th, 2007

Giuliani: I am the most electable candidate

(CNN) - Commenting on the latest national polls showing he is in a virtual dead heat with Fred Thompson in the race for the GOP nomination, Rudy Giuliani said he is the Republican candidate best suited to compete on a national scale in the general election.

"I think the thing that the polls show clearly is that I am the only Republican right now that can contest in all fifty states," the GOP hopeful said Monday at a campaign stop in Akron, Ohio. "And I think every poll has shown that either I'm ahead or I'm more competitive than the other Republican candidates.”

The presidential hopeful went on to say, "If one of them were elected….they wouldn't be able to campaign in twenty, twenty-five states the way we did in the past. We didn't campaign in New York, or California, or New Jersey, or Connecticut, or Washington, or Oregon, or Illinois [in recent presidential elections], and those are states where I would be a competitive candidate, at least according to the polls that exist now, and we'd like to keep it that way."

While remaining confident, Giuliani conceded that "we've got a lot of work to do to make sure the result is that we win the nomination."

Giuliani campaigned in West Virginia earlier Wednesday, and was expected to make a stop in South Carolina later in the day.

– CNN Political Desk Editor Jamie Crawford

Filed under: Fred Thompson • Rudy Giuliani • South Carolina
  1. Stephen

Yes we really need the mafia in the WH. Oh please vote for Ghouliani, thrice divorced, 9/11 exploiter, corrupt politician who will turn the US into a police state.

September 12, 2007 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  2. HC, Little Rock, AR

I think Rudy is the best. I am voting for him for president of 9/11. He was the best mayor of NYC that day! Sure he was running around the street instead of working because his command center at his chosen location in the WTC because it had to be evacuated before it was blown up, but he has a nice combover so that makes up for it.

September 12, 2007 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  3. Abner L, Concord, CA

He's electable until Americans realize he was running around the streets on 9/11 because the command center he insisted be put in the WTC was out of commission. It was his incompetence that made him look proactive. He's a fraud.

September 12, 2007 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  4. Jeff Cluett, SF, CA

Could someone please remind Mr. Guiliani that the Republicans nominate, not elect, a nominee?

September 12, 2007 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  5. therealist

Hillary vs Rudy or Fred

It is indeed a sad day for American politics..

September 12, 2007 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  6. Shawnie Cannon, Grants Pass OR

Here's one republican who is NOT voting for Giuliani.

September 12, 2007 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  7. Shawnie Cannon, Grants Pass OR

I am one Republican who will not be voting for Giuliani.

September 12, 2007 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  8. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

Giuliani is exactly right. He is the ONLY Republican candidate who can, and likely would beat Hillary.

September 12, 2007 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  9. Alan St Louis Mo

I agree your the perfect candidate to get crushed in the election My vote is for you. Gona see an all BLUE map of america by cnn and fox news on election day. And have there name next to Mondel in the 1984 election as being completely crushed. GO GIULIANI

September 12, 2007 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  10. Dan (Baltimore, MD)

Please note the first comment made here and see the points for what they are. 1) Somehow the man who did the most to destroy the NYC mafia as U.S. attorney and mayor is somehow now part of the organization that he destroyed. 2) The immature mis-spelling of his name which would be beneath a middle schooler. 3) Rudy was divorced once and also had an annulment. This is a complete fabrication. 4) "Exploiter of 9-11" He talks about 9-11 as a man who understands the very real threat. Somehow if a candidate wants to do something to stop mass murder from happening again, he's an exploiter. Glad Stephen does not represent most Americans. 5) Corrupt politician? Never happened. Rudy has always been a very honorable and law abiding individual. 6) The idea that the only fiscally conservative, socially liberal candidate would turn this country into a police state is laughable. How about the dems who ideally want to ban property rights and seize businesses? Or the rest of the Republican field which want to deprive gays of rights and ban women from making personal choices about their bodies?

Sorry, Stephen, but you're arguments don't hold water. I want to thank you for posting, so that every one can see what those against Rudy really are.

September 12, 2007 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  11. providence, RI

I agree. Giuliani is not electable at all. He does not have presidential materials in him. He looks like a "clown" to me. It would be unprecended if we were to elect a former mayor as President. He exploits 911, and THINK he can win on only issue: 911. He dressed as a drag queen on the gay parade. He was married three times. His family do not support him.

September 12, 2007 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  12. John L., Alameda, CA

Why is he electable? Because nobody knows much about him. Well he was going to run for Senate and the quitter dropped out because all the skeletons came out of his closet and people realized what a mess he was as a person and as a politician. I hope he gets the nomination. Then he'll get 35% of the vote in 08 when people realize what a flip-flopping crook he is.

September 12, 2007 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  13. Yorgen K, Mendocino, CA

It is shock to me that this Giuliani guy has any rating at all. I know a pompass egotist when I see one and this is it. If Bush can't get impeached then perhaps Rudy as pres will. He should save his party and step out before he humiliates them any more.

September 13, 2007 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  14. Portland Oregon

No way this happens.

But if for some god forsaken reason it does.

I will be moving to Canada.

September 13, 2007 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  15. Garrett Indianapolis, IN

We decide who goes, let's use our vote to really change America and brighten the future for the next generation. Make your vote count, vote Ron Paul for president.

September 13, 2007 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  16. Tom - Dedham, Mass

Not getting my vote Ghouliani.

One trick pony needs to ride of into the sunset.

September 13, 2007 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |