September 13th, 2007

Clinton to release healthcare plan next week

Clinton said she will unveil her plan for health care coverage on Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton will unveil her health care plan to "cover everyone" early next week, the presidential frontrunner said Wednesday.

The New York Democrat made the comments in an online presidential forum sponsored by Slate, Yahoo! and the Huffington Post.

"Obviously, I hope the headline is that, you know, Hillary is back, and we're going to get it done this time, because we tried and were not successful in '93-'94," Clinton told moderator Charlie Rose. "And as we all know, the problems of the uninsured and the underinsured, the pressures on doctors and nurses and hospitals, the loss of jobs with employers struggling to maintain health insurance is all much worse than it was when we were trying to do this before."

Clinton said she will announce her plan on Monday. The New York senator said she has already outlined two parts of her health care plan: lowering costs and improving health care quality. But the issue of universal coverage is more of a political flashpoint for Clinton, who saw her health care plan as first lady defeated in 1994.

Clinton's chief rivals for the Democratic presidential nomination, Sen. Barack Obama and former Sen. John Edwards, have already announced their health care plans.

Last week Edwards' campaign manager David Bonior told CNN that Clinton "failed" at enacting her health care plan in 1993.

"She hasn't come up with a health care plan since," Bonior charged.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

1. xtina - chicago IL

I have a feeling I know where this is going with Hillary. She wants a huge income tax increase to pay for this. I am not rich, but I don't believe in gouging people because they are rich. It will only encourage people who are exceptionally smart (and rich) to circumvent paying high tax rates through loopholes. Then the ones who will bear the brunt of paying for low income or welfare recipients' health care will be - you guessed it, ME and YOU and other honest, middle class working people.

I do plan on succeeding and making a lot more money in the next few years, but it annoys me that I will pay more taxes the harder I work.

Instead, keep permanent the TAX CUTS that President Bush successfully installed and/or start the Fair Tax I have commented about in another post. But don't expect Americans to pay more and more in taxes to fund this government health care.

September 13, 2007 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  2. Diane, NYC, NY

For those of you who have been making claims that self-employed and small businesses need help from the government to get insurance – check Mrs Clinton's voting record before you make the assumption that her plan will help these groups who have been trying to help themselves over the years.

Mrs Clinton has consistently voted against bills aimed at assisting self-employed and small businesses to insure their people. She is not a friend of the self-starter in this respect.

September 14, 2007 05:26 am at 5:26 am |
  3. Mary, Beaver, PA

Danny of Boca Raton, I didn't say that the government health plans Medicare and Medicaid were good. I said that they were expensive. I remember when these programs were initiated, and there was plenty of opposition within the medical community. I can't help but wonder whether this health care mess has been caused, at least in part, by government's getting into the health care business in the first place. Yes, "socialized medicine" is a cliche. I find that there is truth in most cliches. That's why people use them.

Chip of Celina is right. Why should we retool our entire health system to oblige 15% of the population? There are those who have a knee-jerk reaction to every problem: a government solution. After government creates another bureaucracy, which is accountable to no one, which chokes off all competition, do you really think it will be an improvement? Bureaucracy creates more bureaucracy, and a bureaucrat's idea of productivity is to add another layer of bureaucracy or to hire another staff of bureaucrats. Did you ever have a problem with a government agency and try to remedy it? Lots of luck getting through their red tape. And if you don't like their service, or have a complaint, just where do you think you'll go for resolution? You won't be able to take your business elsewhere. Because I have a British husband, I know first-hand how lovely it is to deal with a government bureaucracy (i.e., immigration) that casually makes mistakes that you then have to generate volumes of paperwork to remedy. In my opinion, the only things that ANY government does well is oppress its citizens, make war, and spend other people's money.

American conservatives distrust government because they know history. Why would I want government to take on another role that they won't be able to do well and have no business doing?

As for those uninsured, if someone has a government solution for those 15%, I'm willing to hear it, but NO WAY do I want a government solution for MY health care. And, I would prefer a solution within the private sector for those uninsured, as well, because business usually does it better than government, and the uninsured deserve choice too.

September 14, 2007 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  4. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

For those who think we should move to a government controlled healthcare system, be sure to watch 20/20 tonight ("Who's body is it anyway?").

September 14, 2007 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  5. alan St Louis Mo

The current health system work by the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. The question is do we still want that system?

September 14, 2007 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  6. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

Alan,

Did you watch 20/20 tonight?

If so, do you still feel the same way?

September 15, 2007 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  7. Rick, Kansas City, MO

Universal Healthcare: Recently, a friend in Canada had a healthy 11 pound, 15 ounce girl. Six hours after she was born, the mother and newborn daughter was promptly released because that was all that Canada's health plan pays for.

I hope that is not the kind of health care Americans want; but that is the kind of healthcare that comes from "Universal Care".

Something needs to be done, but I don't think socializing the health care system will be a good solution.
    You can't trust a government with your money or your health. $5 meatballs and $13,000 cookie plates were paid for by taxpayers at congressional conferences this year (check todays' CNN website for that story). How much would your healthcare really cost?

September 15, 2007 02:09 am at 2:09 am |