September 13th, 2007

Obama: Oprah interested in campaigning

Obama said Thursday Oprah may stump for him on the trail.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said in a TV interview here Thursday that having Oprah Winfrey in South Carolina "would be a lot of fun for everyone," and added the popular television host has expressed interest in hitting the stump.

In the interview with South Carolina's ETV, Obama also called Oprah and and his wife Michelle "two powerhouse women."

Oprah is supporting Obama's presidential bid, and hosted a lavish fundraiser for the senator from Illinois at her estate in Montecito, California, last weekend.

Asked if Oprah would come stump for him in this crucial early primary state, Obama said: "I can't make promises, but I know that she has expressed an interest in South Carolina and maybe we can pull that ... Certainly it would be a lot of fun for everyone."

Obama did the interview by phone from Iowa.

Why would Oprah's presence here matter? Obama and Sen. Hillary Clinton are battling to win over African-American women voters in this state, and a new poll from ETV and Winthrop University that will be released tonight shows Obama and Clinton dead even among African-American women.

"The real tipping point in the Democratic primary election may be undecided African-American female voters-there are many more African-American female undecideds than males," Winthrop University political scientist Scott Huffmon said in a news release.

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

1. Mark R. Fort Lauderdale FL

I believe that Oprah's support for Obama is primarily based on the fact that he is black. I would be very disappointed if her endorsement made a change in the primaries.

September 13, 2007 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  2. Steve - Peoria, IL

Sure, Oprah has a right to wave her arms around and get the audience to scream with laughter or to hold hands and cry, but she's unable to tell us what results Barack Obama has produced for Illinois.

September 14, 2007 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  3. Bill W, Coatesville, PA

I don't know – someone casting a vote for Obama because of Oprah is really no different than someone casting a vote for Hillary because of Bill. Is it?

That's what I find sad – that elections today are not about candidates or where they stand on the issues – they're all about "sideshows", soundbytes, and distractions. Remember John Kerry – Great example. "Can't vote for him, he's a Horseface." How many people wish they voted for "Horseface" now?

September 14, 2007 07:15 am at 7:15 am |
  4. Bill W, Coatesville, PA

Abel, if you believe that "Celebs need to stay out of politics", then tell Bill Clinton to stop campaigning for Hillary. Do you have any idea how many votes she willget because of HIM, that have nothing to do with her or her merits? And while you'rer at it, why don't you tell Arnold Schwarznegger to get out of politics, too. Not going to happen. I'm glad to see Obama has somebody famous on his side to level the field.

September 14, 2007 07:26 am at 7:26 am |
  5. Mia, Stafford, VA

Karen Brun – Anyone can get shot at a gas station, BUT it is different for BLACK people. Ask the kids involved in Jena 6

September 14, 2007 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  6. Rose Hann New London, CT

The first time Opra had Obama on her show she was giddy. He was called the rising star of the Democratic paty. Obama has a long way to rise yet to get to a place to be president. OJT is not an option in a world of succh peril.
    I never understood the Opra factor and why people think she is magical. She supports Obama because he is black. If he were not in this race she would have had all the candidates of interest on. She is also a woman which stumps me. I think she is reinventing herslef. Doesn't work for me.

September 19, 2007 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  7. Lorraine, Tacoma WA

As Oprah gets older the more I see that I truly do not like who she really it. No white children in her African school, Supporting Obama (surely based on skin) and the muted racist comments. If Obama were white, Oprah would not be supporting him, nor would she be supporting Clinton. Voting should be based on the candidates ability to lead our country whether Black or white and our votes should not be influenced by anyone society deems to be GREAT. Maybe Oprah should run for president. I personally will not vote for anyone who does not fit the bill and definately not for anyone who slaps our country in the face with the failure to site our state pledge. The Oprah stance is to win the votes of Women and blacks – We need equalism not racism!!

December 10, 2007 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  8. Gbryant

If Obama is nominated, then a lot of democrats will not even vote. I know I won't.

January 7, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  9. Alicia

Not that i'm a Hillary fan but, Bill is her husband reguardless of his ties to the Whitehouse. SO HE SHOULD BE THERE TO SUPPORT HER! All you people who thinks it's WRONG for him to be there and can somehow say it relates to Oprah being there for Obama is rediculous! That is unless the two O's are married.
    I personally don't care for "O", I think she uses whites for her own black agenda.
    And she thinks she is "something else", just ask her.
    I think Obama has a black agenda too. If you look at his web site, he still fights for civil rights and he is gonna stop racial profiling ( I'm sure the muslims will love that one too). The muslims are already suing this country left and right. I was watching the news the other night and two black spokesmen for Obama were on
    and they said that Obama had told them that he had "Years of opression to make up to the black man." Hummm..sounds racist to me.
    I also don't think he is tough enough on immigration, seems we have forgotten how many illegals are in this country and something needs to be done!

Obama is a very handsome man and he gives GREAT speeches, but when he is not prepared for the question, he doesn't do as well.

The strange thing is, when Obama won in Iowa it was great! Finally, the black people have a chance to see that white people aren't as racist as they think.
    That was a big moment for America, but I still don't think he's qualified to run this country.

January 12, 2008 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  10. concern

I have a concern that needs to be clarified, was Barack Obama a Muslim and if so, whys is Opera supporting him if her beliefs fall under Scientology? Please reply.

January 13, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  11. anonymous

yeah okay all i can say is that obama won't be able to make the cut, not while hilary is around at least!

January 24, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  12. BP

President Obama is a wonderful leader! For once we have a leader who is a thinker! He loves his family, his friends and America. God meant for the Obama/Biden ticket to win. Great times for America lay ahead. And Steve H., smokers need love, too. Get off your high horse!

October 8, 2010 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |