September 13th, 2007

President Bush’s approval rating at 36

WASHINGTON (CNN) - How does the American public feel about George W. Bush's record as the president prepares for a speech to the country on Thursday night?

More than six in ten Americans disapprove of how Bush is handling his job, according to a CNN-Opinion Research Corporation poll out Thursday morning. The same number feels that President Bush’s policies are moving the country in the wrong direction.

Mr. Bush’s approval rating, now at 36 percent, is unchanged from our last poll conducted in August. Bush’s approval numbers have hovered around the mid-30s since the start of the year.

How does the president stack up against the Democratic majority in Congress? 50 percent say the policies of the Democratic leaders would move the country in the right direction; only 34 percent feel that way about Mr. Bush. The CNN-Opinion Research Corporation Poll questioned 1,017 adult Americans between September 7 and 9. The survey’s sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. ThirstyJon, Freedomville, IL

I'm one of the 36% and I'm glad President Bush hasn't buckled under pressure. He has great courage. I hope American's wake up from the poison that has been sown in their minds and realize we have a good thing going.

People weren't happy with Lincoln either. Sometimes people just won't be happy no matter what!

ThirstyJon
    freedomthirst.com

September 13, 2007 05:37 am at 5:37 am |
  2. Greg McFerren

Um let me poll 1017 people and you will get a different answer. The DEMS and CNN NEED TO STOP LIEING and BUSH Bashing.. it hurts US ALL.. Its ok to not like Bush, fine.. BUT the over the top HATE has to go..

Iraq war vet.

September 13, 2007 05:45 am at 5:45 am |
  3. Bill, Streamwood, IL

I find it disturbing to read that 36 percent of the voters in the country still approve of George W. Bush and his administration.

I guess these people, in their lust for power and control, have forgotten what real Republican values are.

September 13, 2007 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  4. Pete, T.S. FL

This man has failed all of his life, he ran multiple companies into the ground and he has now done the same with America.

The enemy from within, "W" and his cronies, are destroying our country. I am suprised that he still garners 36 % support.

September 13, 2007 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  5. Christian, Tampa FL

36 percent is ridiculously high. If 36 percent really think that this guy is still doing a good job in office, then I weep for the nation.

I guess this is the same 36 percent that would have us stay in Iraq until Jesus comes back.

September 13, 2007 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  6. proud2bliberal

HHMMM, Wasn't Clinton polling in the high 60's ( I think somewhere around 66%) approval ratings during his 2nd term? Even after Monicagate??????? Just wondering.....

September 13, 2007 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  7. Tom - Dedham, Mass

How does the president stack up against the Democratic majority in Congress?

What were their approval ratings CNN?

Not some carefully crafted question, but the simple one being, what are the approval ratings of this Democratic congress compared to Bush?

Possibly not 36 percent?

September 13, 2007 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  8. Pat, huntington, ny

since he's proud of his C average while at Yale, I'm sure he's thinking this is good too. I would say to Bush to resign but that would make Cheney president. Talk about cutting the nose off to spite the face!

September 13, 2007 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  9. Eric, from THE Republic of Texas

Approval ratings:

Bush: 36 percent
    Democratic Congress: 18 percent

Looks like Bush is still twice as popular than that wonderful newly-elected Democrat Congress.

September 13, 2007 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  10. Russell NC

The 36% is twice as high as the 18% for the Democratic congress.

September 13, 2007 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  11. sd, Cleveland OH

How does the president stack up against the Democratic majority in Congress?

Tom, are you asking what the ratings are for the Democratic members of Congress are or the Congress as awhole? Because I can assure you that those numbers would be different. Anybody who thinks otherwise has no clue how Congress works especially when it comes to the power of a filibuster.

September 13, 2007 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  12. Anonymous

You people are idiots if you think that Congress = Democrats. They do hold a mojority of seats in both houses but it's a small one. That 18% rating is for the entire Congress.
    BTW: I am registered Republican and I'm disgusted with the entire Congress- even the ones I voted for.

September 13, 2007 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  13. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

Here's a good one for you.

Tell me how exactly this poll matters.

Assuming it was carried out fairly, of course.

September 13, 2007 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  14. GB Dallas, TX

To the 36%....

What are you thinking??????????

September 13, 2007 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  15. LooneyToon

36% WOW! Those are poll numbers that would make our pitiful 110th liberal Congress jump for joy. The Harry and Nancy show must be jealous...

September 13, 2007 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  16. Pete, T.S. Fl

It's amazing that many of you base your support for "W" on the fact that he rates higher than Congress.

Meanwhile our America is being destroyed by him. Our brothers and sisters are dying for a lie. This is not about a popularity contest, this my fellow Americans is about the survival of our Nation.

September 13, 2007 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  17. Terry, El Paso, TX

Thirty-six percent is about right, I would think. I read that 25% of Americans think that aliens could be walking among us disguised as humans. 20% believe in Bigfoot, 20% believe in ghosts. I think that a solid 25% of Americans are mentally dysfunctional. I've read that 65% of all Americans who remember voting in 1960 remember voting for Kennedy, even though Kennedy got less than 50% of the vote.

Remember, half of all Americans have a below average IQ. Many of the smarter Americans have a mental disorder of one kind or another.

The intellectually disabled voter is democracy's biggest problem.

Most people who support the president would, I think, support any president no matter what, especially if they voted for him. Many believe that patriotism compels them to support the president in war time.

Harry Truman had lower poll numbers when he left office than Bush has now, and the Korean War was less popular then than the War in Iraq is now. Of course, Truman put his trust in General MacArthur, who turned out to be incapable of command. Bush has a superb military working for him.

I feel like the next election is twenty years away.

September 13, 2007 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  18. Greg, NY, NY

To everyone saying that the Democratic controlled Congress has lower approval ratings:

While it is true that Congress has lower approval ratings than the President, it is not true that it is because of the Democrats. The Dems have a verrrry slight lead in Congress, therefore making it a pretty much even Congress.

Not only that, but if you read the whole article on the latest poll numbers, you'd see that 50% of Americans have more trust in Democrats than the President.

September 13, 2007 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  19. Carl, Dallas, Texas

I think that the 25% approval of the democratic controlled congress should scare people much more than the 37% for Bush...

September 13, 2007 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  20. Ron Nebraska

To find the reason for this 36% approval of this moron go to the article about Mike Gravels comment at the top of the page.

September 13, 2007 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  21. Blountk, Seattle, WA

There is no apostrophe in Americans.

September 18, 2007 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |