September 14th, 2007

For Snow, a 'bittersweet' departure

White House Press Secretary Tony Snow

WASHINGTON (CNN) – It may be his last official day at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, but White House Press Secretary Tony Snow was earning his paycheck this morning making the rounds on the early television shows.

Joining CNN's "American Morning" from the North Lawn, Snow pushed the White House line on Iraq, addressing critics of the administration’s war policy less than 12 hours after President Bush's prime time address on the subject.

"It is probably about time for members of Congress who have been hooked on a failure narrative to realize we're having some success, celebrate it, give our guys credit for what they're doing, and build on it," Snow said.

Snow became press secretary in May of 2006. He is currently fighting a recurrence of colon cancer, but cited financial considerations as his reason for departing.

Asked how he feels about stepping away from the podium, Snow said "it's bittersweet."

"It is very difficult to leave the White House,” Snow said “I've loved every minute of the job. In terms of my health, I’ve got cancer but it is in remission. We keep fighting it. I think this is one of the things I'm just going to keep doing for years and years – getting treatment and trying to hold it in abeyance. But that's where we are. I feel great. I'm doing fine.”

On his future plans, Snow said "I'm going to give some speeches, I’m going to work on some books and I'm going to devote myself to causes that I think are important. I'm pretty excited about the whole combination."

– CNN Associate Producer Stephen Bach

Filed under: Tony Snow
  1. Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

To those singing Mr. Snow's praises – he lost me as he explained – in that patronizing style of his – that the Iraqi government was entitled to its two month vacation – "because its hot, there, you know!" - totally ignoring the American soldiers, dying there in the same heat with full battle gear on. He was hired to spin the President's message. Now he can't live on his $168,000 salary ... poor Tony. No idea of what real-life Americans have to deal with.

September 15, 2007 07:24 am at 7:24 am |
  2. joseph, armada, michigan

good riddance. another illustrative example of a person who sold his soul and participating in the justification of murdering the youth and strength of our nation by generals and politicians. Did he goose step as he exited the press room? May he simmer in the sauce he has created and be haunted by the faces of those who have perished and are wounded in this sensless needless war. He should be embedded with other generals and goulish reporters in one of the non armored vehicles and made to take point on patrols for 15 months.

September 15, 2007 07:37 am at 7:37 am |
  3. Romey Sucks too!

It is about time! I wonder if he will challenge Bush again when he gets a gig on FOX or one of the Repubican Media Machines....He is any ones dog that will have him....

September 15, 2007 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  4. Jeff, Houston, Texas

Have no fear knuckle-scapers. Your favorite press secretary will turn up some place else. This kind of evil, and the evil he represented, is not easily disposed of.

September 15, 2007 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  5. Terry Gloege (Kansas)

Tony who?

September 15, 2007 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  6. fedupwithourgov't

Spin. Spin. Spin. Just like Fox!

And I don't believe the money excuse for leaving either!

September 15, 2007 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  7. Ron Nebraska

Let's see....tony is anxious to leave so he can make more money, George is anxious to leave so he can ' fill the old coffers'. Could maybe these Republicans be just a little more blatantly greedy? Oh that's right though, God told them if they're rich that they are blessed by Him.

September 16, 2007 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  8. Mike in Newport, Kentucky

Mr. Snow, I wish you the best. For the rest of America I wish that civility return to the arena of politics. Both sides are guilty, the leadership of both parties need to step up. And Americans need to learn, not regurgitate the talking points of their chosen side.

I have met the enemy, and he is us.

September 18, 2007 08:52 am at 8:52 am |