September 14th, 2007

Gravel to America: You're 'fatter and dumber'

Gravel had some frank words for the American people Thursday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Trying to be a "friend" to the American people, Democratic White House hopeful Mike Gravel gave his honest assessment to potential voters during an online Democratic candidate forum Thursday.

"I'm prepared to tell you that Americans are getting fatter and dumber," the former Alaska senator told comedian Bill Maher, one of the debate's moderators. "I have no problem saying that."

Maher asked a question to each of the eight Democratic candidates during the forum, which was sponsored by Slate, Yahoo! and the Huffington Post.

Maher told Gravel that obesity rates are up and reading levels are down and added that the "definition of a friend is someone who tells you the truth." Gravel replied that he was willing to be honest with the American people.

"I've also said that Americans are going to get the government they deserve," Gravel said. "And so if things are going bad, just remember who put these people in power."

– CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Filed under: Mike Gravel
  1. Chip Celina OH

I find it ironic that so many on here post laudatory comments about Mr. Gravel, but turn right around and say they won't vote for him.

People are hailing his honesty and how refreshing it is to finally see a politician speak the truth, but turn around and say they won't vote for him.

He is a 100% correct, "tell it like it is, Mike", but, sorry bub, I'm not gonna vote for you.

Why? Why will you not vote for him? Because he isn't leading in the polls and you want to vote for the "winner"?

If you say, because his stance on gay marriage is too liberal for me, or his wanting to redistribute wealth, those are acceptable answers. If you say because he has no chance, you belong to one of the two attributes he previously described, take your pick on which one it is.

Learn the issues, vote your conscience!

Regards,

September 14, 2007 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  2. Pat SHarp Maine

Senator Gravel is 100% right ( correct!)
    Dumb because he right wing think tanks; Heritage Foundation, American Enterprise Institute ec. have poured massive amounts of money into dumbing down the public school system for the past 30 years, in addition to which the neo-cons have infiltrated and altered the Publishing Industry. Neil Bush is making software for the school system, funded by the Cult leader Rev, Sun MOON remember that guy who married hundereds of strangers in Times Square I think, ( I still have the Life Magazine cover of that giant wedding,.)
    and one of the Russians in exile in London.
    If everyone would boycot ALL the major food companies that add high fructose corn syrup into EVERYTHING they make. ( Does tomatoe soup NEED to be sweet?) they might be a little slimmer.I go grocery shopping across the boarder into Cananda sometimes, just to buy canned soup WITHOUT IT! They have a bakery "to die from" much beter tasting breads than in my state, and the Canandian shoppers are SLIM! in spite of the tempting breads............
    Some of the dummest people I know work very hard ( not on welfare) Their mantra: I work hard and I pay my taxes......................( as if liberals skip out on paying theirs?)
    ANd here is the ABSOLUTE DUMMEST OF ALL TIMES.
    ABC Extreme House Makeover is happening down my road his week! It's a joke! ABC is Tom Sawyer on steroids! The chosen family is clearly NOT the neediest in town. But the show has whipped up a mythical frenzy of "generous giving Murikans," to get about 300 people to VOLUNTEER their time to build this house in one week! The building materials the food for all those volunteers, and the preparation of, another gift!
    ANd if that weren't bad enough! They haven't even made the design of it passive solar, in this cold north country! At my house this morning.........the sun didn't shine inthe back of the house at all! ( it has slipped far enough south in the sky ) And will not do so until April 2008!. It now hits the southwest CORNER of the house, and bounces off, and at 3:00 pm or so will shine in the west windows for 2 hours.......It's time to reve up the OIL FURNACE! Sept 14th.
    Like the house they just demolished for the new construction... mine is 110 years old, neatly set parallel to the road, not the sun's path. If I could JUST pick it up and turn it 20o it would be a big improvement.
    DId they do that for the MAkeover? NO, it is on the same parallel as mine! Wouldn't it have been nice for this family if 2 teachers with 4 kids, some with medical problems, to have been given a break by Mother Nature, and not have to buy so much oil?
    WOuldn't it be nice if ABC DISNEY, would use some of it's vast resources to TEACH these things in their programing?

September 14, 2007 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  3. Faiza, Los Angeles, CA

I wish people would think he is not a crazy, angry man. There is a method to his madness and of course he is absolutely right the way things are going b/c we let it happen b/c we didn't care enough to vote or care about something when it is too late. Instead we think it is way more important to vote in American Idol *eyeroll*

September 14, 2007 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  4. William Courtland, Waterford, Ontario

Dolt: A heavy, stupid fellow; a blockhead; a thickskull; dull in intellect
    Imbecile: Feeble in body or mind; fatuous.
    Idiot: A human being destitute of reason or the ordinary intellect of man. One hopelessly insane.
    Moron: A person whose mental capacity is slightly below normal, by psychological standards.
    Retard: To delay.
    Fool: A person who acts absurdly, irrationally, or unwisely; a professional jester or buffoon.
    Dullard: A stupid person; a dolt; a blockhead; a dunce.
    Dunce: a leading schoolman; pupil to stupid to learn.
    Ignoramus: An ignorant person; a vain pretender of knowledge
    Dunderhead: A stupid-head
    Stupid: To be astonished or struck senseless. In a state of stupor; bereft of consciousness, sense, or feeling; devoid of understanding.
    Dumb- One who is mute; destitute of the power of speech.

Vernacular- belonging to the speech that is naturally acquired.

September 14, 2007 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  5. BCNU purple state, usa

To, Pat SHarp Maine:

"Some of the dummest people I know work very hard. (not on welfare) Their mantra: I work hard and I pay my taxes………………….( as if liberals skip out on paying theirs?) ... ( Does tomatoe soup NEED to be sweet?)

Speedy typing, Dan Quayle moment, simply trying to reinforce Gravel's point?

Which is it?

September 14, 2007 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  6. J Houston, TX

What a bunch of bull.

Dumb and fat...you wish. We have more college institutions than any other country, and fairly long lifespans, with only small percentage differences from those above us...which could be attributed to almost anything. Fewer Americans smoke than the citizens of almost any other country.

This self-hate on our own country is despicable. I'm proud to be an American and I'm proud to be brothers and sisters with my fellow citizens, all of them; whether they went to college or not; whether they are big or small.

It sure seems like the people around my office are brilliant, healthy men and women...

September 14, 2007 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  7. Nate, Minneapolis, MN

Funniest thing in this article was Bill Maher "moderator"...Who decided to give him that job? Have you ever heard him speak? I guess he'd be moderate for CNN.

September 14, 2007 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  8. Ann, Nonimus, USA

Too smart to be a Democrat and too broke to be a Republican.

September 17, 2007 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |