September 17th, 2007

Clinton and health care, take two

The Best Political Team on TV will be covering the country's reaction to Sen. Clinton's universal health care plan.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – It's the second time around for New York Senator and White House hopeful Hillary Clinton when it comes to universal health care in the U.S. The first time Clinton was the first lady. This time she's running for president. Watch Bill Schneider's and John King's look at the politics of Clinton's second attempt to provide health care coverage to every American.

Filed under: Healthcare • Hillary Clinton
  1. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

I do not trust the federal government to administer a universal health care program, especially if it this woman's idea. Fortunately, it won't fly, just like it didn't fly years ago when she made a hobby of pushing it in secret as First Lady.

September 17, 2007 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  2. Juanito, Washington, DC

So why do we have 2 articles on the political ticker about HillaryCare? Do we need TWO????

September 17, 2007 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  3. ts, ny,ny

I like it! Hillary's run for the White House is now officially over! That's 1 less spineless liberal. Now we can concentrate on our arms race with Russia and Iran..

September 18, 2007 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  4. Jim, Atlanta, GA

After seeing John Stossel's story on 20/20 about health care, I will NEVER approve of Clinton's social health care plan.

September 18, 2007 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  5. Len, sparks nv

Its a very weak plan and it shows why Clinton should not be the Democratic nominee. She is so wounded by her past that she is afraid of doing the right thing. Her past failure has defined her. The plan is milk toast, relying solely on private insurers, ensuring even bigger profits for them with government subsidies to buyers. There is no pressure on them to reform they terrible ways. Obama has a better plan. His plan still has choice but he forces the private companies to compete with a government plan for the unisured with high standards. Competition brings pressure on the private companies to clean up their act or go out of business. His plan is so much better and he was able to get some health care reform in Illinois, so he has some success under his belt instead of failure. Clinton is not the right one for the job.

September 18, 2007 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  6. Brian Tampa, FL

While to rest of the world runs from the stupidity that is socialized medicine we run towards it. What has the federal government ever run well and why would anyone want these bureaucratic clowns in charge of your health. It is just a way for politicians to have more power in your life, stop giving it to them.

September 18, 2007 04:40 am at 4:40 am |
  7. Tom - Dedham, Mass

Just on this one page there are 7 blogs of Shrillary and her much loved, highly anticipated health care "plan".

Obama, Edwards and Romney (who actually had his passed in Mass)did not receive this wall to wall coverage or "highly intellegent" and "impartial" analysis from CNN.

I can see why Obama supporters and the rest of the Democrats get ticked off as this is supposedly one of the major news outlets for "impartial" information and it is far from it.

And you Clintonista's call Fox news funny names, but at least you get both sides of a story.

September 18, 2007 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  8. S. B. Stein E.B. NJ

I guess the question is how can we as citizens compare all of the plans out there and get several views on those plans. There needs to be side by side view with opinions from each side and some clear objective analysis. I doubt that you can find that on most websites or newspapers

September 18, 2007 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  9. Ron, TX

The question the media NEEDS to ask Hillary: She already failed at pushing a health care plan. What makes her think she can do it this time?

September 18, 2007 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  10. Chip Celina OH

S.B. Stein makes an excellent point. I would love to see a place that offered such as he describes. In agree also, (my pie in the sky wish) to have some objective analysis by an expert to rate the different plans or to highlight the best portions of the plans and propose an amalgam.

If I could get enough time to construct it, I would do so. Just go from site to site and either provide links or actually download the docs and present them side by side. As for the analysis, I think (with some discipline) I could maintain objectivity, just the subject matter expertise that may be a hitch.

Have a good day,

September 18, 2007 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  11. slinkymalinky

Please take down this picture CNN. Its a stark reminder of just how old Hillary really is. And having an old bitty as President of the United States of America is not a good thing in this dangerous world..

September 18, 2007 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  12. therealist

Clinton and Health Care, take two,
    minus 12+ million illegals, and growing..
    minus 100++ Billion tax dollars, and growing..
    equals 1 ungodly mess for 85% of Americans currently with the best Healthcare in the world..

HillaryCare, its mandatory, you can not say no by law..

September 18, 2007 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  13. Tom - Dedham, Mass

SB Stein, excellent idea. It would be great if an INDEPENDENT NON-PROFIT group would do something like this so we can all be better aware of EXACTLY what each plan offers (the good, bad and the Hillary).

Sorry, her gaffe on the illegal immigrants coverage question would AGAIN bring down any other candidate considering the coverage her just opening her mouth gets, but like the Hsu fiasco, no story here, right.

September 18, 2007 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  14. dawn -- Gaithersburg, MD.

Jim:

If you believe John Stossel's take on anything, please take full advantage of your health insurance plus an apple a day, aspirin, and anything else you think might help the malady from which you suffer. Last I heard, Stossel was still claiming that the scientific community was split on whether there was global warning and if human activity was largely responsible. He is a right-wing hack.

Len:

Sen. Clinton does have a government plan option similar to Medicare, which, I believe, has very high standards and very low administrative costs. Also, getting health care or any other kind of reform is much easier in the states. For example, Sen. Clinton, was able to reform early education as first lady of Arkansas.

Ron:

You can't seriously mean to suggest that if someone fails at something, they should never try again. The rest of America calls this kind of radical notion: "learning from experience," and "growing." I'm sure you've never failed at anything or even made an ill-considered comment, but if, someday, you do, please try it.

Slinkymalinky: Hillary is 60 years old I think. Hardly ancient and certainly young enough to run the country. Should you ever reach this advanced age, you'll see. Also, and I could be wrong on this, but I think, the word is "biddy."

Tom: I didn't hear a gaffe on the undocumented aliens question, just an an honest admission that she hadn't considered the issue. I assume that after consideration, the answer will be something like: "Americans first, undocumented aliens as humanity, good policy, and practicability dictate."

September 18, 2007 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  15. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

Can't understand why CNN keeps removing my posts relating to this issue.

All I have been trying to do is to let others know how to access the 20/20 episode (mentioned by Jim in Atlanta on this thread) on the ABC News website.

I am starting to wonder if CNN is afraid for people to educate themselves on this very important issue.

September 18, 2007 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  16. Ringo, Earth

you critics are right on, why improve on the 38th best health care system in the world...USA, USA! Seriously though, haven't looked at Clintons plan closely. Something has to change, I work for a small firm where employees over 45 with a family have to cough up $2,000 per month in premiums alone. Aetna, Humana, Anthem...etc. all keep recording record profits. We must stop putting our heads in the sand and adopt a better plan.

September 18, 2007 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  17. John NC

Why so much publicity on Hillary's plan when the other candidates did not get close to this much publicity when they unveiled their plans? Bias?

September 18, 2007 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  18. Thomas, St. Petersburg, FL

John Stossel's report on ABC's '20/20' last Friday, 09/14/07 stated that citizens of countries where socialized medicine already exists (such as Canada and England) often come to the U.S. for medical care.

Hillary's proposed healthcare system is the typical liberal response: It is the role of government to drag people through life. In my view, Mrs. Clinton's system would have devastating results on America's economy.

September 18, 2007 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  19. James, Phoenix AZ

LOL – I thought Hillary was going to be a more formidable opponent! Campaign scandals, Hillary-care leftovers re-heated, Iraq War flip-flopper, Special Interests' best friend....

Add in she has the highest negatives of ANY presidential candidate – EVER, Democrats must have a fear of winning if they nominate her.

September 18, 2007 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  20. confused

-–
    I wish I could have a discussion with you. Both my parents and in-laws became self-employed, hard working American citizens in the seventies... my sister-in-law's sickness since birth has bankrupted my in-laws and priced them out of health insurance, and, between monthly premiums and co-insurance, my mothers cancer has drained my parents of all savings during the past decade. I just emphatically disagree that our current health care is working.

September 18, 2007 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  21. Dan Phillips, Hartman, AR

Hillary Clinton's health care plan is mandated insurance.It is not universal health care.It is a giveaway program to the big insurance lobby and the HMOs.The health insurance companies has always wanted more younger people and healther people in their pools to increase their profits.Now they will try to get someone in high office who will try to mandate that.Conservatives should oppose this plan because it limits personal freedom. Progressives should be opposed to this plan because it forces people to buy something from a private-for-profit business entity.I see little difference between the neo-cons and the neo-libs.The American people should a have better choices than beteen a corporate Democrat and a corporate Republican.

September 18, 2007 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  22. Sue Binder, West Hempstead, NY 11552

As an uninsured American, I applaud Sentor Clinton's efforts...at least she is trying to do something.

September 19, 2007 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |