September 18th, 2007

Third time the charm?

Keyes is making a third run at the presidency.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Alan Keyes is hoping the third time’s the charm.

The conservative Republican is taking his third stab at running for the White House.

Keyes announced his candidacy Friday on a conservative radio talk show, saying he was unimpressed with the current GOP field.

“I just have been watching and following and haven't heard what is needed, and I think I'm like a lot of folks, who have just looked at it and been unmoved,” said Keyes, who also said he has filed the necessary paperwork with the Federal Election Commission to formalize his bid.

Keyes is a veteran at running for elective office. The former State Department official during the Reagan Administration ran unsuccessfully for the White House in 1996 and 2000. He also ran for the U.S. Senate in Maryland and in Illinois. That run, in 2004, ended in a landslide loss to Democrat Barack Obama.

Keyes teamed up with five other GOP presidential hopefuls last night at a “Value Voters” forum in Florida. The top four Republican candidates, Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson, Mitt Romney and John McCain did not attend the event.

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Trent Hill, Denham Springs, Louisiana

My opinion of Keyes' entrance into the race.

September 18, 2007 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  2. AJ; Montpelier, VT

Hooo Hawww, this guy just keeps coming back for more. He is the standard for what a Republican truly is, a hate filled Bible banging bigot who has an incredibly narrow view of life and the world around him. So narrow in fact that he cant quite see that he is pretty much a national joke. GO ALLAN – America can stand to be amused for a while!!

September 19, 2007 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  3. Veronica, Stamford, CT

Sure, I'm going to vote for a guy who disowns his own child for no other reason than that said child is gay.

Keyes is a joke and should be treated as such.

September 19, 2007 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  4. Dana, Chicago, IL

This man needs to get back on his meds. As a democrat, I saw that the good ole machine in Illinois was trying to make waves with the African Americans and the Republicans that were leaning towards Obama by putting him on the ballot. Being born and raised in this state, you have to know how politics go and he didn't have a chance. I almost felt sorry for the Republicans. He made a plumb fool out of them. Go for them.

September 19, 2007 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  5. Robert Kolodzinski, Valparaiso, IN

I am thrilled he will run. I believe he is the only uncomprimised candidate we have.

September 19, 2007 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  6. Eh Non-Imus, Jah-Merica

Why isn't Jesse Jackson accusing Mr. Keyes of "acting white"?
    Or has he?

September 19, 2007 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  7. Norma Vannoy, Forest, Virginia

This the best political news I've heard in weeks! But why is there practically no coverage by the major networks? I just happened to see a small article hidden inside our local paper. I'm behind him all the way...how desperately we need him – a true statesman of integriby, moral character and wisdom!

September 19, 2007 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  8. Master Anonymous, Your State, USA

Alan Keyes is racist he never answers many of his questions with a solution but with "In the black and latino community" he is dodging issues with a RACE CARD it has been used many time in the past but he needs to know equality is for all, not just "blacks and latinos" if he bacame president I would move out of country he is a new Hitler.

September 27, 2007 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |