September 19th, 2007

Richardson: MoveOn wrong to publish 'Betray Us' ad

Watch Richardson in The Situation Room Wednesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson told CNN Wednesday he disagrees with the liberal group MoveOn.org’s recent decision to publish an ad in the New York Times attacking the top general in Iraq, David Petraeus, but the White House hopeful stopped short of formally condemning the group.

"They shouldn't have done it," he told CNN's Wolf Blitzer in an interview on “The Situation Room.” "On the other hand, MoveOn has done some great things to alert the American people about the escalation of the war."

Several Republican presidential candidates have called on their Democratic counterparts to formally distance themselves from the group, following the publication of the ad last Monday that said, in part, "General Petraeus or General Betray us?"

But, in a meeting with CNN reporters and producers before his television appearance, Richardson refused to go that far.

"Why condemn it? I disagreed with it. Who cares?" he said. "You guys have too much fascination with these groups nobody cares about.”

"I am no one's candidate. I am independent," he continued. "I'll have Republicans and independents in my cabinet, and I'll tell you my cabinet before the election."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Pete,T.S. Fl

Govenor,

September 19, 2007 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  2. Linda, San Franciso CA

Wow, Bill Richardson?
    I didn't know this guy was still running.
    I wonder how it feels to be running for the most important position in the world and not have anyone give a care in the world! Drop out now Bill before you waste anymore cash, time, and space, Bill. Your campaign was a frazzled joke from day one, complete with socialistic comments, factually incorrect gaffes, trite comparisons and embarrassing public appearances. Time to hang up the sombrero Bill!

September 19, 2007 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  3. Wynter, Loudon, NH

It's amazing how many people come out of the woodwork to whine about a simple ad about Gen. Petraeus in a negative light. So what?

The ad just goes to warn us all that the General is being directly influenced by Bush and the White House. He is spinning the war just as much as the rest of this administration has been. I also love the way they claim he is a "War Hero" from Iraq. Excuse me? Did he jump on a grenade that I didn't see? He is simply the military administrator of Bush's private war. He doesn't do any of the fighting. He understands the situation we are in out there, but he only has one frame of reference. Simply put, he has blinders on when it comes to the mission at hand. His standards of success are dictated by the mission that Bush put him on, not the Senators back on the hill or the people of the United States.

The ad was free-speech at its finest. Anyone stating more than passing displeasure with it should repeal the Bill of Rights next.

Telling it like I see it,
    Wynter

September 19, 2007 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  4. Steve Wang Irvine California

It is a good thing Rudy is a uniter, not a divider. That's all we need, another president picking fights with anyone he can.

September 19, 2007 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  5. ThirstyJon, Freedomville, IL

Way to play both sides Mr. Richardson!

ThirstyJon
    freedomthirst.com

September 19, 2007 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  6. Daniel, Delaware

Moveon has every right to ask that question. It is when we stop questioning authority that freedom can and will be taken. We need to hear the truth from our government. Protecting the rights and freedom of America is the true act of patriotism.

September 19, 2007 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  7. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

MoveOn.org is hardly a "group nobody cares about" as evidenced by their literal seat at the table with Congressional leadership, and the care these leaders take to avoid direct condemnation of the group, which has 3.2 million members who are committed progressive activists.

September 19, 2007 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  8. John, Grand Rapids, MI

Gee,
    By your comments, I could swear that some of YOU were the commander in charge on the ground in Iraq. But you're not...General Petraeus is...and have you neglected the fact that this guy was widely considered to be one of the most level-headed people out there concerning the realities of the mess in Iraq. He's not a Bush apologist, he's not a politician, he's a loyal member of the armed forces as much as anyone.
    And Richardson was right. Moveon.org was wrong to even consider that ad. They should take their attacks elsewhere.

September 19, 2007 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  9. Winston Hsia, San Antonio Texas

Bush and his men spin and spin again on the numbers. By looking at the news, you should know they are spining again. We have great expectation on you to be a good watch dog. So, don't fail us.

September 20, 2007 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  10. Tim Sullivan

I think we should give each Swift-boat supporter and each Move-on supporter an AK-47 and drop them all off on some uninhabited island. (With a year's supply of ammo). The we could do a progress check in, say 9 months, to see if they are out of ammo yet.

September 20, 2007 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  11. Patrick, Bartlesville Oklahoma

Thank you Bill, I wish you would have gone even farther but thank you for condemning this hate speech. You proved once again why I put you near the top of the list of candidates I will consider voting for on the democratic side.

September 20, 2007 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  12. Ivan, Chicago, Illinois

You think Bush had no help in screwing up the war in Iraq. The generals who went along with Bush's going into Iraq understrengthed deserved the criticism.General Petraeus who wrote the manuel for dealing with insurgencies said you need a ratio of one soldier for every forty civilians that's 600,000 soldiers needed in Iraq.
    Now he's going along with Bush and agreeing that having only 160,000 and soon to be 130,000 is enough. So he deserves to be harshly criticised.
    Come on Democrats get some backbone, and stop letting the Republicans define the issues and you.

September 20, 2007 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  13. Ivan, Chicago, Illinois

A further comment, General Petraeus's commander-in-chief is the President, but Petraeus and the other generals ultimate responsibilty is to the American people, not the President of the United States. And to me it is obvious that Petraeus is going against his own utterances in siding with Bush.

September 20, 2007 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  14. Steve

Wow. I was a Richardson fan, and was disappointed early on at his low poll numbers among Democrat contenders.

Now I see why. What the hell is wrong with these wimpy, sniveling Democrats?
    Move On's ad, at the least, was right on the money. How about all the horse apples put out by the extremist right, deliberate, character assassinating lies.

Move On, in my opinion, has yet to go far enough.

When we get rid of the biggest criminal in the White House EVER – and I'm talking President Dick "Dick" Cheney, then Move On can rest.

September 20, 2007 03:17 am at 3:17 am |
  15. WDRussell, East Liverpool, Ohio

Well I can agree with him to a point.
    MoveOn should be concentrating on George the Bloodthirsty and not the General.

September 20, 2007 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  16. Chris, Middletown, CT

Still funny how MoveOn can present something with no proof – and those in NH, FL and CA will buy it wholesale...I would just ask when they make ouragious claims that someone with a shred of common sense says "show me the proof" – like all Democrats rhetoric....they have none...and Richardson – Richardson who?

September 20, 2007 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  17. James, Greensburg PA

Richardson, it's time to give it up! You simply don't get the mood of the country and you don't get the mood of your party. The overwhelming majority of Americans don't want any Republican in charge and that most definitely includes you! What a wimp!

September 20, 2007 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  18. TF St. Louis, MO

I agree with Wynter 100%.

September 20, 2007 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  19. Paul, Irvine, CA

Pete, posting above, says:

[Govenor,

Time to quit. If you feel you have to yield to RNC pressure to speak out against a entity that does not support the war or the reason for it, you simply don't get it.]

No Pete, YOU don't get it. Most mainstream Americans are disgusted with the sick tactics of Moron.org, even as they want a change of direction in Iraq. If you think a Democrat will be embraced by mainstream America while embracing this vile, hateful far Left group, you don't understand mainstream America.

September 20, 2007 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  20. Tom - Dedham, Mass

I don't agree with Richardson on many issues, but I have always found him to be fair and decent, as he is being here.

Even a Republican can respect a Democrat in this country.

The General is running the show in Iraq and our brave men and women are under his command and for Shillary and Moveon to disrespect him by calling him a liar (while even Democrats have said a lot that he is saying) is brutal. He was called a stooge before the report even came out.

Hate Bush, I get it, but this guy is putting his ass on the line, while Hillary sits in her cushy chair and acts like the Queen.

September 20, 2007 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  21. Mitchell Forney, Carrollton, GA

I would just like to comment on all of the fever about Barack Obama. Wake up America, I am not calling any names, but does that not sound like a name like some that we heard associated with bad things that have happened to this country a few years back. Wake up America and take note.

September 23, 2007 12:03 am at 12:03 am |