September 20th, 2007

Clinton calls Cheney 'Darth Vader'

Clinton referred to Cheney as 'Darth Vader' Wednesday night.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – She has been sharply critical of Vice President Dick Cheney in the past, but Democratic Presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton took it up a notch Wednesday night, calling the president's No. 2 "Darth Vader."

The New York Democrat referred to Cheney as the infamous Star Wars villain at a New York fundraiser when she described his efforts to keep Republican senators behind the Iraq war.

"Vice President Cheney came up to see the Republicans yesterday," Clinton said at the fundraiser. "You can always tell when the Republicans are getting restless, because the Vice President’s motorcade pulls into the Capitol, and Darth Vader emerges."

The crowd erupted in laughter.

"I’m not invited to their meetings and I don’t know what he says or does," she added. "But all the brave talk about bringing our troops home, and setting deadlines, and getting out by a certain date just dissipated."

The comments came during an informal talk on stage with former Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack and retired Gen. Wesley Clark, both supporters of Clinton.

But this isn't the first time the vice president has been likened to Darth Vader. Cheney actually made the comparison himself in an interview with CNN's John King in June of 2006.

"I suppose people sometimes look at my demeanor and say, well, he's the Darth Vader of the administration," he said then.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Dick Cheney • Hillary Clinton
  1. Jack Martin Spring Hill Florida

I guess if VP Chaney is likened to Dart Vader it would be ok to liken Hillary to Tokyo Rose.

The analogy, that she would sell our nation and our brave troops out at a time where we are finally making headway.

We have not finished a cause we have been involved in all the way back to Korea, and we are still paying the price there. Let the Generals run the war, Congress isnt even doing good at running the nation. God bless America

September 20, 2007 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  2. LS, San Diego, CA

Does that mean that Rove was Emperor Palpatine and Bush is Jar Jar?

September 20, 2007 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  3. John Bloomington Indiana

I like to see these two go at each other..two villains from opposite ends who have two things in common, arrogance and military experience.e

September 20, 2007 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  4. Tricia M Charlottetown PEI

I don't mean to be insulting but after just listening to Bush on CNN spout his ridiculous realities on the many issues put before him, it's time for Americans' to get real serious about electing your next President!

He just stated that his IQ level on economics was 101 so he didn't know much on that subject but he did know how to manage the American economy and insure a surplus! This after his many billions of spending on the Iraq war.

He refused to answer a question from CNN's David twice and put his little boy angry face on! He is a complete inept nincompoop! And I would think Americans would be more concerned about his replacement than constantly slamming Hillary.

I hope Americans soon start to give this Campaign the serious attention it deserves. I hope Americans start to seriously focus on their next President. I hope Americans will begin investigating other candidates' backgrounds and assessing their leadership capabilities to ensure you don't elect another moron. And in my view, you don't have many Candidates running who can fill the bill.

Are you voting for Loser Giulani? He couldn't even manage his marriages or lead New York. And his perceived greatness of himself is seen only by him. It's called Narcisstic.

Or, is it Romney? Who precariously became a billionaire and has all the luxuries that entails. But still can't decide which side of the fence he's on on any issue. And understanding America's Middle Class will certainly be out of his reach.

Or Thompson? :-) Who has no experience except his short term as Govenor, has no leadership capabilities, or vision for America. He can't even con a good leadership game.

Maybe McCain? Who is just another Bush Clone that will keep military in Iraq till Hell freezes over or they miraculously Win an unwinable war.

Ron Paul? who looks so frail I don't know if he'll last till Election time. And whose vision is so out of touch with reality it could be the next fiction novel.

Edwards? who needs his wife to make his decisions for him. And is only in the race still due his wife's health problem having convenient timing.

America has three choices for survival my friends, Biden, Richardson, or Clinton. Obama would make a good Vice but he needs more time before he's ready to be President.

So it's time to stop the inane name calling and egg throwing. It's time to get serious about saving your Nation. It's time to make sure you elect a CREDIBLE Leader for the future versus another moron.

The world is watching and from my corner of the Globe, a Credible Leader for America's future it not looking real promising.

September 20, 2007 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  5. Seekster, Arlington, TX

If Cheney is Darth Vader then what does that make Clinton? Jabba the Hutt?

September 20, 2007 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  6. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

FUNNY!

This coming from NURSE RATCHED.

September 20, 2007 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  7. Thomas, Baton Rouge, LA

And Karl Rove was the Emperor.

September 20, 2007 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  8. Deborah H. Arrington, Kingsport, Tennessee

I think Senator Clinton meant to be humorous while making her point...in which she succeeded evidently. My favorite comment on Cheney was a Wolcott comment in Vanity Fair associated with a photo of Cheney standing in the shrubs at the White House intently listening to a press conference by President Bush. Wolcott called Cheney the scariest garden gnome imaginable or something to that effect. I agree.....

September 20, 2007 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  9. Frankie G.

Does this mean george suros is hitler?

September 20, 2007 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  10. Frisco, Richmond, VA

As long as no one minds comparisons, I have no problem with her comment as it coming from a person who can be likened to Lorena Bobbitt as I am sure Hill has castrated her husband until after her election.

September 20, 2007 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  11. Buck, Bellefonte, PA

Does Hillary know that in the end, Darth Vader turned out to be a Hero! He saved Luke an killed the Emperor.

September 20, 2007 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  12. jake, dunedin, fl

I totally diagree with this similarity. The Emporer is much more in line with the likeness of Dick Cheney. GW, is that Vader character.

September 20, 2007 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  13. columbus, ohio

I've just gained respect for her.

September 20, 2007 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  14. Scott, Greenville, NC

Someone said earlier we shouldn't put much stock in what someone says if they've ever been cheated on by a husband. Yeah, that makes sense, genius. /sarcasm When did Republicans become a bunch of Nancy-Boys? Can't even take a movie comparison without whining about it. Republicans are going to get nailed to the wall come '08...and after seeing people defend the likes of Guiliani and Cheney, it wil be well deserved. I used to have the utmost respect for Republicans (I was one). Now the freakin' Libertarians seem more grown up than today's conservatives. When Democrats seem more frugal than the supposed conservative party, we're in trouble.

September 20, 2007 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  15. RA The Framing Wizard LV, NV

Sen. Hilary Clinton and her informal elementary comments should show our uneducated left Americans all states should bleed red.

September 20, 2007 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  16. Jessica, Saugus MA

Hillary should talk. She reminds me of "Gollum" from the Lord of the Rings.

With regards to Power - "My Precious"

We need a REAL Change in the Whitehouse, that I why I am voting for an Independent.

September 20, 2007 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  17. LC, San Antonio, TX

What an insult to Darth Vader!!!

September 20, 2007 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  18. David Duffett, Taegu South Korea

Hillary Clinton has certainly misspoken here as Darth Vader was a powerful figure who was able to utilize the power of the Force while Dick Cheney is a powerful figure only able to utilize the power of the Farce.

September 20, 2007 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  19. Nunya, Darth Cheneyville, NC

I can't wait til Hilary gets elected, and I'm really, really looking forward to watching all of the Republicans collectively wet their pants when she gets sworn in.

September 20, 2007 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  20. Tonya, Cupertino CA

What an insult to Darth Vader!

September 20, 2007 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  21. roger, conway, sc

Way to go Hillary you are right on...by the way CMS, CA....President Clinton could have gotten a prositute (Vitter) or maybe gone to a men's bathroom (Craig) and tapped his foot for some action or lied to the entire country about WMD...what President Clinton done was wrong BUT you right wingers seem to think that when it is a republican that it is OK & that you all are above everyone else when it comes to morals well you are NOT...

September 20, 2007 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  22. Gary, Detroit, Michigan

Cheney has always reminded me of a slimy green lizard who lives under a bridge somewhere. Don't let your puppy dog get too near!

September 20, 2007 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  23. Amidala, Queen of Naboo

It is clear to me now that the Republic no longer functions. I pray one will bring sanity and compassion back to the Senate.

Hilary uses old ways of politicking, I hope Obama doesn't go down that road.

September 20, 2007 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  24. Ronnie.Irving,Texas

I would say he is DEATH VADER,not Darth Vader.I liked Darth Vader alot more than Cheney any day.At least with Darth you could tell he was evil but Cheney tries to hide it(not very well though).

September 20, 2007 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  25. Jenn, Washington, DC

Ohhhhhhh, lighten up people. Set aside your political biases for a moment and you'd recognize it was an unexpected comment and that's what was so amusing about it. So relax just a little bit.

DARTH VADER – HA!