September 20th, 2007

Clinton calls Cheney 'Darth Vader'

Clinton referred to Cheney as 'Darth Vader' Wednesday night.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – She has been sharply critical of Vice President Dick Cheney in the past, but Democratic Presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton took it up a notch Wednesday night, calling the president's No. 2 "Darth Vader."

The New York Democrat referred to Cheney as the infamous Star Wars villain at a New York fundraiser when she described his efforts to keep Republican senators behind the Iraq war.

"Vice President Cheney came up to see the Republicans yesterday," Clinton said at the fundraiser. "You can always tell when the Republicans are getting restless, because the Vice President’s motorcade pulls into the Capitol, and Darth Vader emerges."

The crowd erupted in laughter.

"I’m not invited to their meetings and I don’t know what he says or does," she added. "But all the brave talk about bringing our troops home, and setting deadlines, and getting out by a certain date just dissipated."

The comments came during an informal talk on stage with former Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack and retired Gen. Wesley Clark, both supporters of Clinton.

But this isn't the first time the vice president has been likened to Darth Vader. Cheney actually made the comparison himself in an interview with CNN's John King in June of 2006.

"I suppose people sometimes look at my demeanor and say, well, he's the Darth Vader of the administration," he said then.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Dick Cheney • Hillary Clinton
  1. J, Arlington VA

Okay, first of all, people really do need to lighten up – it was a joke, and a pretty funny one at that! And to the previous poster who compared Bush to Jar Jar Binks – genius! I'll be completely up front and say that I was planning to vote for Hillary anyway, but I have no problem laughing at jokes made on either side – and that includes jokes that poke fun at the Democrats.

That said, one thing that did upset me here was the poster who said that we shouldn't listen to a word Hillary said because her marriage involved adultery. To that person, shame on you. Hillary got cheated on, so we should all ignore what she has to say? As a married woman I am absolutely disgusted by that thoughtless, crass and absolutely sickening comment.

But back to happy! Personally, I think Michelle Obama is the lovely Princess Leia.

September 20, 2007 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  2. Steve, Seattle, WA

Pretty imature Mrs. Clinton – from someone running for the highest office in the country. I would expect more maturity from a presidential candidate.

So, Does this make her princess Leia? Does that make him her father... LOL!

September 20, 2007 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  3. Matt, Canoga Park CA

If Dick Cheney is Darth Vader then what movie character is Hillary? The Wicked Witch of the West or Glenn Close' character in Fatal Attraction?

September 20, 2007 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  4. Steve

"Isn't that slander?"

How can you slander a corporate criminal and impeachable traitor who's started a war with lies and has acted like Herr Goebbels on Hitler's staff?

September 20, 2007 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  5. Steve

"Who knows, but I most certainly have my suspicions….."

I'll bet you do. There's medication available for that.

September 20, 2007 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  6. Col;in Vancouver,Canada

In 1992, on Larry King; Bush Senior called Clinton And Gore "BOZOS"

September 20, 2007 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  7. REDSTATE

Correct – Former President Bush, Sr. was correct (on Larry King) – Al Gore and Bill Clinton ARE BOZOS – so is Hillary! What's your point?

September 20, 2007 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  8. Rafi Mittlefehldt, New York, New York

I don't see how Cheney can be Darth Vader when Bush has already established himself as Jar Jar.

September 20, 2007 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  9. Michael F, Fort Worth TX

"At least Cheney isn't Jabba the Hutt. That's Rush Limbaugh. Bush is Emperor Palpatine, and every Republican is a storm trooper. Wow we have enough for a remake!"

September 20, 2007 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  10. Joe, Florida

You gotta admit that it was pretty funny. I'm still laughing "Darth Vader emerges", she's too much.

September 20, 2007 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  11. David, Wheaton IL

I am still convinced that Joe Lieberman is going to call for a vote of no confidence in Bush and ultimately end up Emperor. Serious.

September 20, 2007 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  12. sean, silver spring MD

you gotta love these people who keep whining about hillary being childish, immature and resorting to name calling. meanwhile, these same people celebrate and cheer people like limbaugh, hannity, beck, and levin- all of whom make their living with childish attacks, name calling, and immaturity. give me a break.

September 20, 2007 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  13. Mike, Holland MI

Hillary is Darth Cankles...I will not be silenced!

September 20, 2007 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  14. Chris, Orlando

Does Jabba have Cankles too?

September 20, 2007 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  15. dawn -- Gaithersburg, MD.

Paul Murphy:

You're quite right: he didn't belittle his own generals. He strangled them. Please, Republicans, get over yourselves.

September 20, 2007 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  16. ReadBtwthlins

"The crowd erupted in laughter."

I wonder which one of these laughing criminals will be next to have their contributions returned by Hillary?

September 20, 2007 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  17. Herb, New Jersey

Nice to see that liberal democrats are now saying that their politicans are unable to stand up to the ethics, values and decency of the right and can only be defended for their hate by comparing them to radio talk show hosts.

September 20, 2007 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  18. Bea, Hoboken, NJ

If there was an Evil Queen, she would be Ann Coulter. Court Jesters would be O'Reilly, Hannity, Levin, Carlson, etc… – Posted By Michael F, Fort Worth TX : September 20, 2007 2:26 pm

Thank you Michael!! I'm reading this from work and it has sure cut the monotony of the day!! I couldn't stop laughing! Ann Coulter, now THERE is a scary woman!!!

September 20, 2007 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  19. Vet in Kansas

Poor comparision, don't really feel Cheney lives up to Darth Vader, Vader was a warrior, Cheney a world class draft dodger.

September 20, 2007 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  20. Bruno Forlani, Chicago, IL

So where is the harm in pointing out the obvious?
    Not to mention that he has already referred himself to Vader, than so be it!
    Besides everyone knows he's the Puppet Master...

September 20, 2007 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  21. Carmine Fazzari, West Hempstead, NY

This man has the blackest heart of any politician I've seen in the 35 years I've followed policitcs.

There is no doubt in my mind this guy is a wholly-owned blow-up doll, belonging to Big Oil and (of Course) no-bid Halliburton.

September 20, 2007 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  22. Paul B. Justi, San Ramon, CA

She says that like it's a bad thing.

September 20, 2007 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  23. drwhite

Darth Vader was always on the frontlines, killing Rebels himself. Maybe there's an evil contractor in a movie somewhere?

September 20, 2007 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  24. Anonymous

darth vader, indeed. i would call her godzilla...she is frightening, and god help us if she gets in office!!

September 20, 2007 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  25. John Starnes Tampa Florida

Cheney got FIVE, count 'em FIVE deferments to avoid serving in Vietnam when Joe-on-the-street could RARELY get ONE deferment. Yet he eagerly sends our troops into battle as pawns for his own empire building and ego....sounds like Darth Vader to me minus the courage to actually take part in a battle.

September 21, 2007 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |