September 20th, 2007

Clinton: 'My mother lives with us'

Senator Hillary Clinton, D-New York

DAVENPORT, Iowa (CNN) - Hillary Clinton responded to a plan that Democratic rival Bill Richardson announced would bring health care directly to people in their homes–as opposed to forcing them to go to a hospital–by talking about her own mother.

"This is an issue that affects all of us," Clinton said. "My mother lives with us, as well, and we see it every single day."

Clinton press secretary Jay Carson said the candidate's mother has lived with the Clintons for "at least a couple of years" but that she¹s "as able and capable as they are."

"She just lives with them," Carson said.

Clinton made the comments at the Divided We Fail/AARP/Iowa Public Television presidential candidate forum on health and financial security.

She called for long-term care tax credit for people providing respite care. She said if the United States were to lose all it's caregivers, it would mean "a $300 billion cost to replace what is done out of love and out of family and other relationships."

-CNN Iowa Producer Chris Welch

Filed under: Bill Richardson • Healthcare • Hillary Clinton • Iowa • Race to '08
  1. JR, Boston, MA

I wouldn't be surprised if this is palpably false. Would this be Chappaqua or Washington? Aren't both Bill and Hillary constantly gone anyway?
    I simply cannot remember a more obviously fake, transparently dishonest, nothing but old, failed ideas, do anything-say anything to get elected politician as Hillary. I really have not heard one tough question she's been asked and required to answer this campaign. I fear I may never hear one between now and next November.
    I think many of the Democratic candidates are good, honorable people but Hillary is so very far from that.

September 21, 2007 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  2. James, Phoenix AZ

Hillary and Bill must have it SO hard with "mom" living at their house. Mom probably has her own wing of the house, servants, etc. Just like the Kennedy Compound.

The rest of America, Hillary, has to give up a kid's bedroom when Mom comes home. Please give us all a break from your hollow rhetoric.

September 21, 2007 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  3. Hanson, Bklyn, NY

like it or not, please welcome our new commander and chief. President Hillary R Clinton, for all you haters out there.She is strong, decisive and does her homework.America!America!

September 21, 2007 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  4. ali mosta, dunwoody ga.

am i missing something here? Hillary sees what? everyday? Her and Bill make like $10 million per year; I doubt Mrs. Clinton's mother is affected by seniors' govt health care cuts or the red tape of Medicare.

September 21, 2007 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  5. Mary Jo, Nashville, TN

I know most of you who have made comments bashing the Clinton's will agree with me. If I could have 4 more years of George W. Bush I would gladly have them. He is going to go down as one of our greatest presidents!

September 21, 2007 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  6. Mary Jo, Nashville, TN

NOT!!

September 21, 2007 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  7. Peter Adams, Bothell, WA

Great for Hillary, but, unless all seniors are going to live with her and Bill, it is hard to see what the relevance is. Are they going to give patients high-quality care? I don't think so.

Richardson said something profound-a program that provides high-quality IN THE HOME. Using our great technology to do something significant for people, really CARING ABOUT THEM. And, saving money to boot.

I think that's a difference between a Governor, who has to find solutions, and a Senator that can make wonderful speeches that tears at your heartstrings, but cannot translate it into meaningful results.

I hope the Gov gets in and does this on day 2. Think of how much better our country would be if this were put into practice.

September 21, 2007 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  8. C Diehls Fayette, Missouri

We are certainly blessed having Hillary. Only time will tell what great things she will accomplish

C Diehls

September 21, 2007 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  9. Melissa, Davis, CA

I heart Hillary! For those of you who do not, I ask you, are your reasons for disliking her also not applicable to other political candidates. When you add it all up, she has the best grasp of the state of the country.

September 21, 2007 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  10. Jason Thompson Taylor, MI

I can ASSURE you that the care her mother may (or may not) be getting is not from Hillary or Bill, but from the numerous assistance they can obviously afford off their tarnished income. For Hillary to compare herself to the normal schmucks like me that are actually doing the care-taking is insulting, but expected.

Of course next week she'll be against any kind of long-term care tax break – just like she voted for the war, and now votes AGAINST a bill condemning left wing extremists for an insulting ad that was taken out against General Petreaus and our brave troops fighting for ours (and HER) freedom.

Drop her like a bad habit, now, before it's too late.

ABH – Anyone but Hillary

September 21, 2007 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  11. Chris, Middletown, CT

As you read the Democrats responses – gives a whole new meaning to rose colored glasses...there is nothing Hillary or Bill can say or do that won't get a "go girl" from the left. Maybe theres something about Hillary that I am just not seeing...I should give her another look (looking) ...ewww...I just threw up in my mouth....no thanks Rudy 08 – a moderate for president...go figure

September 21, 2007 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  12. G. Bush

You know, she's not bad looking... just a bad candidate for President.

September 21, 2007 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  13. Tom - Dedham, Mass

Again this phony bleep steals and idea from another candidate and you blind mice treat it as it is hers.

Rose colored glasses doesn't begin to describe you blinded fools.

I am an Independent\Republican and I can see that Obama is twice the candidate, but the hope is that you do nominate her, it is going to be a blast tearing her down.

Liz Edwards gets hammered by you sheep for truthfully speaking out against Hillary, but isn't that what you loved about Shrill once upon a time, she was vocal in her defense of her husband and wasn't afraid to speak her mind.........

Yeah Bea, I am a man who HAPPENS to hate her guts, but guess what, if Liz Dole or Condi were running I would be happy as hell as they are also strong women.

September 21, 2007 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  14. A. Thomas, New York, NY

As a daughter, mother and wife, Hillary is a caring person. So far, I am also impressed with her as a politician. She is smart and seasoned.

She is day and night comparing to Giuliani, the wicked father, bad ex-husband and incompetent politician. She will win the election landslide.

Go Hillary go!