September 20th, 2007

Clinton: 'My mother lives with us'

Senator Hillary Clinton, D-New York

DAVENPORT, Iowa (CNN) - Hillary Clinton responded to a plan that Democratic rival Bill Richardson announced would bring health care directly to people in their homes–as opposed to forcing them to go to a hospital–by talking about her own mother.

"This is an issue that affects all of us," Clinton said. "My mother lives with us, as well, and we see it every single day."

Clinton press secretary Jay Carson said the candidate's mother has lived with the Clintons for "at least a couple of years" but that she¹s "as able and capable as they are."

"She just lives with them," Carson said.

Clinton made the comments at the Divided We Fail/AARP/Iowa Public Television presidential candidate forum on health and financial security.

She called for long-term care tax credit for people providing respite care. She said if the United States were to lose all it's caregivers, it would mean "a $300 billion cost to replace what is done out of love and out of family and other relationships."

-CNN Iowa Producer Chris Welch

Filed under: Bill Richardson • Healthcare • Hillary Clinton • Iowa • Race to '08
  1. aj

I love love love this woman she is the best choice for 08 president!!!!!!!!!

September 20, 2007 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  2. trekks, kansas

No, no, no, shes NOT!

September 20, 2007 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  3. Setha, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

I love This Women Bc. she can try to live in all bad situation Ex.her husband...ect.

September 20, 2007 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  4. Anonymous

excuse me, while i BARF!!!

September 20, 2007 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  5. kris, St. Paul, MN

It Hillary knows what is respite care; that means she is ready to be the president of the USA. I think a lot of presidential candidate don't know and don't know how much it cost.
    Go girl!

September 20, 2007 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  6. Ryan, Albion, IL

I agree. People can say all they want, but both Clinton's bring out intensity in ALL people, whether it is love, hate, admiration, or disgust...the feeling is strong. That is power, people. And that is why there in NO ONE in either party that are even in the same league as Hillary.

September 21, 2007 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  7. steve Loudon, TN

I really did care for my mother, who was suffering from glaucoma and became blind. I paid for her care and built and in law suite in my home for her. I paid for 4 operations and she regained sight to a degree in one eye. NOT ONCE did I ask for "respite" care, although I am also totally disabled with COPD, diabetes, RA, Osteoporosis, Seven vertabrae fractures, all of my ribs broken in a fall, cervical radiculopathy, peripheral neuropathy, cataracts requiring surgical removal, and many other health problems. But I gave her food, dispensed her eye drops 6 times a day, took her to Drs. and provided a loving atmosphere of care....because she was my mother and I don't and didn't want respite care or any help from the communists (they call themselves Democrats now) because it was MY RESPONSIBILITY no one elses. I despise the thieves who would steal from those who earned through hard work the assests they accumulated for a lifetime of hard work and self improvement....Clinton would give those who like the grasshopper fail to accept their responsibility. CLINTON'S mother lives with her...oh boy, what a sacrifice in her multimillion dollar home with stolen government furniture from her previous residence. Her mother is active and Ms. Clinton is deceptive and a liar.

September 21, 2007 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  8. The American Public, USA

Its one thing to pull conservative blogs from an Obama 'ticker' in order to further bias CNNs poltical view, but to pull them from Hiliary Clintons, thats something else. (Yes I always spell her name that way). I am responding to this add and the 1st comment: No, No, NO, she would NOT, make a good president in the 08 elections

September 21, 2007 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  9. Claude, Mesa AZ

This woman is so fake. Now she's using her own mother to combat the Iowa TV ad that Obama released today. Hillary go home. You can't be trusted with a 10 foot pole. Wake up America!!!!!

September 21, 2007 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  10. Jerry R. Reynolds

"Now I lay me down to sleep, to our for fathers I pray and weep. For if the youth don't take back our futures, I am affraid to say, our country will die while we are wide awake!" By: Jerry R. Reynolds founder of The Honor Generation

The Honor Generation is here! For the young men and woman of America, stand up and take back your future! http://www.honorgeneration.com

September 21, 2007 02:13 am at 2:13 am |
  11. J.W.T. Meakin, Alameda, CA

Please note that the the possessive pronoun its does not take an apostrophe.

September 21, 2007 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  12. Steve Banny

I wouldn't leave my mother home with Bill.

September 21, 2007 02:30 am at 2:30 am |
  13. Stan Richards

Imagine you get a call at work one day and told your
    kid was beat up so bad that he became unconscious and
    is at the hospital.

You rush to the hospital to find your kid.
    The Doctor tells you he is conscious but has multiple lacerations
    and a concussion, but he is ok.
    You walk in to see you son had been beaten and you see for yourself the
    cuts, bruises and has blood clots in his eye.

After the incident you find out the six young men that
    beat your son up are being made out to be the true
    victims and the only ones the media recognizes as
    being victimized.

Now I intentionally took away the build up of race
    hoping you will look at the true criminal
    activity that happen in this story.

How would you feel, regardless of your color if your
    child went to school and was beat unconscious by six
    guys and send to the Emergency Room?

Where are the white points of view?
    Are they allowed to have a say in the media? Not one white person has been interviewed! Not even the kid that was beaten.

Respectfully,
    Stan Richards

September 21, 2007 06:11 am at 6:11 am |
  14. Wichita, Kansas

You fool!
    She is a first class lier!
    All she does is trying to fool you. dummy!

September 21, 2007 06:57 am at 6:57 am |
  15. BCNU purple state, usa

Poor Bill! I feel HIS pain.

September 21, 2007 07:27 am at 7:27 am |
  16. Chip Celina OH

I don't get it, 300 billion to replace what families OUGHT to be doing for their elders, but only 110 billion for comprehensive health care.

Can anyone shed some light on the numbers? I just don't know.

Have a good day,

September 21, 2007 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  17. Providence, RI

So do I. I just Love Hillary- She is creative, intelligent, strong, and bold...

September 21, 2007 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  18. Crissy Cruiser

BLah Blah Blah! Does this make her any more speical than anyone else who strives everyday to make their parents comfortable? She is only trying to appear like a normal person with the media.

September 21, 2007 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  19. Bea, Hoboken, NJ

Yeap, I too can't wait to vote for this remarkable woman!

September 21, 2007 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  20. Paul, Louisville

"were to lose all it's caregivers"

it's should be its, CNN

September 21, 2007 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  21. Anon

I have never felt more sorry for Bill. Not only does he have to put up living with Hillary, but also his mother in law.

September 21, 2007 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  22. Kyle Westerbridge - Thurmont, MD

Please, God- let the Republicans put up somebody that I can vote for. 4 years of Hillary will continue the poor track this country's been on since 1988...

September 21, 2007 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  23. RA The Framing Wizard LV, NV

I could not take my eyes off all them monetarists’ diamonds yesterday; today she is plastered with pearls. Sen. Hilary Clinton is not at all impressive. Like Americans do not support family and what makes her so special? Middle class working Americans pay an exuberant amount of taxes every year and do not expect our government in funding the cost. They just need fair prescription and health care at a fair affordable cost.

September 21, 2007 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  24. Joe Average, USA

Yeap, yep, Im sure she will need your help!

September 21, 2007 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  25. LoooseyGoosey

Ohhhhh, that's why slick willy is always on the fly..

September 21, 2007 11:00 am at 11:00 am |