September 21st, 2007

When Judith calls, Rudy answers

Watch Giuliani take a call from his wife during a speech to the NRA. Was it real or staged? You decide.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – When former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani gets a call from his wife Judith he takes it, even if it happens in the middle of a speech to hundreds of people.

The New York Republican presidential hopeful was delivering a speech to the National Rifle Association Friday in Washington when his cell phone began to ring. He was in the middle of discussing the importance of the 2nd amendment.

"Let's see now, this is my wife calling, I think," he said as he answered the phone.

"Hello dear, I am talking to the members of the NRA right now, would you like to say hello?," he asked, as the crowd sat mostly silent.

She apparently did not.

"I love you and I will give you a call when I am finished, OK," he said, trying to wrap up the call. "Have a safe trip, talk to you later dear I love you."

The crowd quietly applauded after he ended the call and Giuliani joked, "It’s a lot better that way. This is one of the great blessings of the modern age, to be always available - maybe it isn't. I am not sure."

Was the call Friday real or staged? Giuliani received a similar call during a June 21 rally in Hialeah, Florida – telling the crowd it was his wife on the phone. The clip of that moment is posted on YouTube, and being noted by other campaigns.

The Giuliani campaign says the call was legitimate.

UPDATE: Wayne LaPierre, the executive vice president of the NRA, told CNN he thought the moment was "light hearted" and the crowd was "amused by it."

"I think we've all taken a lot of phone calls from our wives," LaPierre added.

Asked if he would take a call from his wife during a speech, Lapierre said, "I don't know that I would have it (the phone) in my pocket on."

– CNN's Alexander Mooney and Steve Brusk

Filed under: Rudy Giuliani
  1. Foster Grant

This hack is just another stage act. Rudy is a flip flopper who will do anything or say anything to pander to those who will give him support. He insults the integrity of the religious right, supporters of the 2nd Ammendment, FDNY, Federalist, etc... He is a two faced prostitute that cares not a wit about constituency or the people, only about power. Our nation was fooled, cheated and lied to by the Bush family, I cannot see us being so collectivelty stupid as to allow this to happen again. We need change. Rudy provides the same deceit as we are getting now.

September 22, 2007 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  2. Simon, Lexington, MA

When people ask me from now on why I'm supporting Hillary Clinton for president, I'm going to show them this article. This is why. Because the other candidates act like retarded children.

September 22, 2007 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  3. Richard King

It's my wife calling. - which one?

Rudy must believe the stories of the NRA belonging to toothless, brainless, hillbillies. Even if it was true, hillbillies know a snake oil salesman when they see one. This little skit was blatantly phony, and an insult to the NRA.

September 22, 2007 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  4. Lori, Leawood, KS

That was pathetic.

September 22, 2007 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  5. wvmmrh

most of you people are idiots for taking this so seriously.get a effing life. if your vote for this man is lost due to this you're an idiot AND a moron.the only people ragging on him because of the phone incident are people who DON'T like him to begin with and are using this against him.typical dimwits who just sit around waiting for the people they dislike to pull a 'weeny' so it can be jumped on and made an issue of.you're all a bunch of fruitcakes!! he answered his cell phone..SO WHAT??

September 22, 2007 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  6. New York, NY

Can you hear me now, Rudy? Your pathetic little stunt backfired.

September 22, 2007 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  7. Suz, Boca Raton, FL

I can't believe he left his phone on during a speech...let alone answer it! How rude can you get? Guess he has to account for every minute of his time.

Looks like the puppy-killer Judy is the Boss!!! Who are we voting for here...Judy or Rudy?

September 22, 2007 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  8. lookyloo, texas

What's next- will he take a laptop and start paying his bills online while he is giving a speech or maybe start doing a crossword or making the grocery list?? Nice for the voters to know they are #1 during his speech...

September 22, 2007 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  9. Zehnder Jamaica NY 11434

Rudy, you megalomaniac drag queen pervert you cannot even manage a marriage, you need to have three wifes one of which was in incestuous relationship. When the going gets tough you need to involve the whole word with your petty domestic problems and you wash your dirty linen in public. How in the whole world would you entrust the highest office of this land to such a loser. We have had enough of leadership displaying little if any gray matter.
    Go away and fail again and marry a fourth time.

September 22, 2007 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  10. Sherry AllOver Texas

"If a Democrat did this, would you lemmings still think it was staged?"

Posted By Jim, Durham, NC : September 22, 2007 9:09 am

Hey Jim, Democrates aren't stupid enough to pull a stunt like this. And the last time I checked the only Lemmings in politics are Republicans.

September 22, 2007 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  11. Dan Zeboff, New York, NY

If you want to see what Rudy is really about, you must watch this movie:

zeitgeistmovie.com

September 22, 2007 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  12. Rudy, New York, NY

Steve H., this is Rudy calling. You're a loser!

September 22, 2007 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  13. steve, albuquerque NM

which wife is it? the one that was his second cousin? the one he divorced? or the the one that used to be his mistress?

rudy is pathetic. Lets face it, if 9/11 had occurred in any other city, he wouldn't even be running

September 23, 2007 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  14. Tricia M Charlottetown PEI

And Here's RUDY ..................
    Oh, sorry Rudy will be delayed momentarily he has a Call from his third wife Judith. She is more important than the American People!

What a horse's patoot! He is so transparent I dont' know why he spends money on clothes! I guess he must be realy concerned about the effect of marriage and family scruples eh?
    So concerned he actually thinks the public would fall for such an iane stunt!

September 23, 2007 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  15. jo, ATL GA

His new wife does not trust him that's why she calls every hour to see where he is at.

Rudy where u at!!! Thanks God he was at the NRA and not his cousin's.

September 23, 2007 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  16. Julian, Port-of-Spain Trinidad and Tobago

Give the guy a break! Staged...no way. Its not like this happened before...o it did didn't it? Come on Rudy's no poser...what, just because 9/11 was one big photo op for him and stands as the background to his campaign. Rudy's a hero think of how he stood up to the big bad terrorists (what DID he do really?). Ok all the people he pulled from buildings are probably grateful...wait he didn't. The guys who actually did...the real heroes don't hold him in very high esteem. Come on Rudy knows that Americans like a narrative...so there he goes hamming it up.....confusing the Saturday Night Live set with an NRA convention. Real Presidential.

September 23, 2007 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  17. Sharon, Portola CA

This was such a cheesy, icky thing to do. Obviously, it was staged, and meant to give Rudy points for "loving" his current wife, one in a long line of relationships that leave little doubt where he REALLY stands on "family values."

Seriously, who goes to speak to a group like the NRA during a run for President and does something inane like this. The answer, it seems, is Rudy Giuliani!

September 24, 2007 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  18. Melissa, Baltimore, MD

What was the purpose of that call? I am sure his wife knew where she was. Well, unfortunately, that is society! I went to a reputable ear, nose and throat specialist a month ago. While the nurse was talking to me, her cell phone rang and she answered it. She did excuse herself. I thought, "How rude and unprofessional!" While the doctor was talking to me, his cell phone rang and HE answered it! I could not believe it. They acted as if it was part of their every day life. We need to get back proper etiquette in this society.

September 25, 2007 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |