September 21st, 2007

When Judith calls, Rudy answers

Watch Giuliani take a call from his wife during a speech to the NRA. Was it real or staged? You decide.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – When former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani gets a call from his wife Judith he takes it, even if it happens in the middle of a speech to hundreds of people.

The New York Republican presidential hopeful was delivering a speech to the National Rifle Association Friday in Washington when his cell phone began to ring. He was in the middle of discussing the importance of the 2nd amendment.

"Let's see now, this is my wife calling, I think," he said as he answered the phone.

"Hello dear, I am talking to the members of the NRA right now, would you like to say hello?," he asked, as the crowd sat mostly silent.

She apparently did not.

"I love you and I will give you a call when I am finished, OK," he said, trying to wrap up the call. "Have a safe trip, talk to you later dear I love you."

The crowd quietly applauded after he ended the call and Giuliani joked, "It’s a lot better that way. This is one of the great blessings of the modern age, to be always available - maybe it isn't. I am not sure."

Was the call Friday real or staged? Giuliani received a similar call during a June 21 rally in Hialeah, Florida – telling the crowd it was his wife on the phone. The clip of that moment is posted on YouTube, and being noted by other campaigns.

The Giuliani campaign says the call was legitimate.

UPDATE: Wayne LaPierre, the executive vice president of the NRA, told CNN he thought the moment was "light hearted" and the crowd was "amused by it."

"I think we've all taken a lot of phone calls from our wives," LaPierre added.

Asked if he would take a call from his wife during a speech, Lapierre said, "I don't know that I would have it (the phone) in my pocket on."

– CNN's Alexander Mooney and Steve Brusk

Filed under: Rudy Giuliani
  1. Dodie

We have become such a rude society.

With call waiting and cell phones always at the ready. One on one communication is nothing but an interuption.

Turn the cell phones off!

September 21, 2007 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  2. Steve H.

Rudy, this is America calling. Get lost!

September 21, 2007 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  3. Ron, TX

Anyone over the age of 12 understands that you should turn your ringer off. Anyone over the age of 18 should have no problem remembering that. How rude.

September 21, 2007 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  4. Dean A., Albany, NY

OMG. This is one of the most transparent publicity stunts I've ever seen. One of Guilani's achilles heels is that he is seen as putting his own needs above his family's (e.g., leaving his wife while she was ill with cancer). How convenient that he answers a cell phone call from his wife during an NRA meeting and probably in front of lots of cameras. Shame on CNN for failing to recognize this likely staged event aimed at increasing his chances of becoming president.

September 21, 2007 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  5. Marshal Phillips, Wichita, Kansas

Judith, one who must be obeyed...
    even if Rudy is making a speech.
    no matter, Judith must be obeyed.

September 21, 2007 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  6. Aaron Kinney, Sherman Oaks, CA

Giuliani's campaign will self-destruct soon if stuff like this keeps happening to him.

September 21, 2007 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  7. Cynthia Johnson, Newark, NJ

Oh, Please! You mean to tell me that
    woman did not know he was at a speaking engagement? This was a stunt & he should have had his cell turned off anyway!

September 21, 2007 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  8. Nicho

This just shows even more why Rudy is the best candidate. He respects his audience but when his wife is going to go on a trip, he calls to tell her that he loves her and to be safe. Who could ask for a more loving and genuine man to not only be our representative to the world but our president? I cannot think of any other.

September 21, 2007 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  9. Cynthia Johnson, Newark, NJ

You mean to tell me that woman did not know he was at a speaking engagement?
    This was definitely a PR stunt. He should have had his cell turned off anyway!

September 21, 2007 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  10. OJ

Yeah – I loved my wife too. She would call me all the time when I was on the road. I never failed to answer a call when it was from her. God I loved that woman!

Sincerely,

Orenthal James Simpson

September 21, 2007 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  11. Jennifer, LA, CA

Wow...that is obviously staged. I wonder who was really on the other line? An advisor whispering "Now say 'Have a safe trip' and 'I love you'"?

September 21, 2007 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  12. Pat, Huntington, NY

Guiliani makes sure he has good phone communication with his wife, but did nothing to improve the inter-agency communication between the FDNY and NYPD even though they screamed at him for the need to do so before 9-11. Had he done so, more 9-11 first responders would be alive today. Guiliani, you're disgusting!

September 21, 2007 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  13. Rita Martin, Melbourne, FL

If this was a publicity stunt, it was a bad one. How obnoxious of him to answer the phone during his speech and how obnoxious of her to call when I'm sure she knew he would be speaking at that time. I wonder if he would have been as receptive if one of his kids were calling.

September 21, 2007 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  14. Lynn, Philadelphia, PA

Another cheesy stunt. Giuliani please stop insulting our intelligence.

I bet it was his campaign manager giving him instructions....

September 21, 2007 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  15. bukky, Baltimore, MD

OH PUHLEASE... such a PR stunt.

1) Turn you freaking phone off
    2) Don't pick up- It's called a silence button use it
    3) why doesnt your wife know where you are, or does she not care, WAS THAT EVEN HER ON THE PHONE.

already lying to the masses... he's a shoe in

September 21, 2007 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  16. John Thomas, Edina, MN

Nicho,

You must be one of the most dense persons I have seen on here. This is an example of why voting should be a privilege, not a right.

September 21, 2007 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  17. Sam E, Tampa FL

Your OJ remark was crass and juvenile. What are you 13?

September 21, 2007 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  18. Matt, Paris, Illinois

This. Was. Staged.

How convenient that it comes a mere couple days after Tom Vilsack ripped on Rudy's family life.

September 21, 2007 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  19. HAWK,TEXAS

TRUE TO FORM RUDY. PUTS HIMSELF AND EVERY THING ELSE BEFORE THE BUISNESS AT HAND.LIKE HE WAS TO BUSY MAKING MONEY TO BE ON THE IRAQUI PANEL AFTER HE WAS ASKED AND ACCEPTED THEN DIDN'T SHOW UP. RUDY IS A JOKE.

September 21, 2007 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  20. Anonymous

Lame

September 21, 2007 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  21. Betty Lopez, Woodland Hills, CA

I hear that Judith reserves a seat for her Louis Vatton purse by her side when she travels with Rudy on the private plane. The cost of air travel on a private plane is several thousand dollars where one seat is reserved for her purse. I pray that Rudy should be the nominee against Hillary or Obama!

September 21, 2007 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  22. Bea, Hoboken, NJ

Is he for real????? Imagine any other candidate interrumpting a speech to talk to their spouse? At the very least, it would be considered rude. If it was a stunt, what purpose did it expect to serve? I would think that the least people see of Judith, the better it would be for his campaign. Perhaps he thinks that we don't remember that this is the same woman with whom he was carrying an affair while still married and who he paraded around as if SHE was the city's first lady!!!

September 21, 2007 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  23. John, OH

I wonder if he would have answer if the call was from his kids.

September 21, 2007 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  24. Simon, Concord, CA

Actually, John Thomas, you must be one of the most dense people I know if you cannot recognize the subtle sarcasm in Nicho's post. It wasn't the greatest example of satire, but it was sufficient. Even if he was genuine, though, who appointed you Hall Monitor? Wow.

The OJ post, however, was brilliant!

September 21, 2007 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  25. Mike - NY, NY

How freakin rude is he! I wonder how he would have reacted if one of the audience members pulled a similar stunt.

September 21, 2007 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |