September 21st, 2007

When Judith calls, Rudy answers

Watch Giuliani take a call from his wife during a speech to the NRA. Was it real or staged? You decide.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – When former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani gets a call from his wife Judith he takes it, even if it happens in the middle of a speech to hundreds of people.

The New York Republican presidential hopeful was delivering a speech to the National Rifle Association Friday in Washington when his cell phone began to ring. He was in the middle of discussing the importance of the 2nd amendment.

"Let's see now, this is my wife calling, I think," he said as he answered the phone.

"Hello dear, I am talking to the members of the NRA right now, would you like to say hello?," he asked, as the crowd sat mostly silent.

She apparently did not.

"I love you and I will give you a call when I am finished, OK," he said, trying to wrap up the call. "Have a safe trip, talk to you later dear I love you."

The crowd quietly applauded after he ended the call and Giuliani joked, "It’s a lot better that way. This is one of the great blessings of the modern age, to be always available - maybe it isn't. I am not sure."

Was the call Friday real or staged? Giuliani received a similar call during a June 21 rally in Hialeah, Florida – telling the crowd it was his wife on the phone. The clip of that moment is posted on YouTube, and being noted by other campaigns.

The Giuliani campaign says the call was legitimate.

UPDATE: Wayne LaPierre, the executive vice president of the NRA, told CNN he thought the moment was "light hearted" and the crowd was "amused by it."

"I think we've all taken a lot of phone calls from our wives," LaPierre added.

Asked if he would take a call from his wife during a speech, Lapierre said, "I don't know that I would have it (the phone) in my pocket on."

– CNN's Alexander Mooney and Steve Brusk

Filed under: Rudy Giuliani
  1. Gee in Cherry Hill NJ

Oh for cryin out loud!

Now who the heck am I going to vote for? Because this guy just lost my vote. No common sense.

I've got to worry about him taking his wife's calls during a major crisis? When he should be focused on a vital isuue at hand, instead of proving to her he's not anywhere he shouldn't be? And why doesn't she know his schedule? She didn't know that he's addressing the NRA at that moment? Puhlease! One stunt too many, *if* it was staged: one stupidity too many, if it wasn't. "Next!"

September 21, 2007 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  2. Christian, Tampa FL

I was horrified when I saw this. How can a legitimate presidential candidate be so rude? It breaks every rule of public speaking etiquette ever conceived...

If this man becomes President, I don't quite know what I'll do. I certainly won't be happy about it.

September 21, 2007 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  3. alix, miami, fl

the name of the city is HIALEAH, not whatever garbled mess is in the story

September 21, 2007 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  4. dude

dude, the guy is trying to pretend he is a good family man. hilarious. to stage something like this is incredibly low.

September 21, 2007 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  5. We really need a life Wichita KS

Today really must be a slow day for CNN. First is Hillary a lesbo or isnt she, now this.

I guess Rudy's stand on gun control is not as important as him getting a stupid call, staged or not.

September 21, 2007 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  6. Rude-u

This is an example of what a next republican president will do..
    I would have left my seat... empty...
    wake up America...he would never get my vote...

September 21, 2007 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  7. J.Crobuzon

Which wife was that?

September 21, 2007 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  8. Steve

To Gee – vote for Mike Huckabee

September 21, 2007 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  9. It was staged.

She's just phoning to say his cookies
    are at home in a jar & don't replace her while she's on her trip.

September 21, 2007 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  10. Lydia, Washington, DC

Giuliani is such a tool. God, it is so revolting.

September 21, 2007 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  11. DustinSD

What a joke. Is this high school?

September 21, 2007 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  12. marylu from rhode island

This is the most unbelievable, would he answer his children that quickly

phony shame on you and her for calling when she knows you are at a meeting

September 21, 2007 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  13. jeff b, new york, ny

How completely gross. It just goes to show who really wears the pants in that family (and it ain't Rudy)

September 21, 2007 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  14. pete - accokeek, md

staged.

September 21, 2007 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  15. pete, accokeek, md

who wears the pants in rudy's house? rudy's on a short leash. not fit to be president.

September 21, 2007 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  16. rob flynn, san francisco, ca

What a phony! No pun intended. This guy is so full of himself. He seems to think this kind of stunt is 'cute' and will win him votes? What a crock of crap, so staged it wasn't funny at all. He'll pull any gimmick to make 'headlines' - this is newsworthy? Give me a break! I'd rather know what the hell he's saying to the NRA. Instead we're now going to be seeing this silly, childish prank over and over, I'm sure. Same old, same old crap news-coverage. I'm turning my TV OFF!

September 21, 2007 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  17. Jon R

Which wife or cousin was it?

If I was in an audience and the speaker answered a call while I am listening, I would have gotten up and left.

September 21, 2007 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  18. tokalion, Edgewood, NM

Hm-m-m-m...looks like he is living up his name....Rude.....y.

September 21, 2007 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  19. RB, from the bay state

Another segment of the Giuliani Traveling Circus.

What a complete buffoon.

September 21, 2007 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  20. laurinda,shokan,ny

It is a very frightening thought to know that there are people out there in lala land that actually think Rudy would make a good president!

September 21, 2007 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  21. Alejandro, Rio Rancho New Mexico

Pulling that stunt off twice is a joke. You need an audience of an IQ of 1 to not realize how cheap the PR stunt was.

September 21, 2007 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  22. Julie, Chicago, IL

Which wife??

September 21, 2007 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  23. SA, Richmond, VA

The beginning of the end of Guilani's campaign. So pathetic on so many levels. Unbelievable.

September 21, 2007 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  24. Corinne, Stockton CA

This was such a staged thing, see everyone, I'm such a family guy I am always concerned about my wife and what she might have to say. The problem is, people are finally waking up to this BS. This really just shows how foney he is.

September 21, 2007 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  25. Klint

If this was staged then he takes us to be imbeciles with a cheap and asinine publicity stunt. Rudy, we're calling – GET LOST !- one less idiot gunning for the White House.

If the call was legit – what a dumbass – learn to turn off your phone, orat least leave it with an aide – shows how disorganised you are – GET LOST – we don't need a guy like you as president

September 21, 2007 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |