September 21st, 2007

When Judith calls, Rudy answers

Watch Giuliani take a call from his wife during a speech to the NRA. Was it real or staged? You decide.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – When former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani gets a call from his wife Judith he takes it, even if it happens in the middle of a speech to hundreds of people.

The New York Republican presidential hopeful was delivering a speech to the National Rifle Association Friday in Washington when his cell phone began to ring. He was in the middle of discussing the importance of the 2nd amendment.

"Let's see now, this is my wife calling, I think," he said as he answered the phone.

"Hello dear, I am talking to the members of the NRA right now, would you like to say hello?," he asked, as the crowd sat mostly silent.

She apparently did not.

"I love you and I will give you a call when I am finished, OK," he said, trying to wrap up the call. "Have a safe trip, talk to you later dear I love you."

The crowd quietly applauded after he ended the call and Giuliani joked, "It’s a lot better that way. This is one of the great blessings of the modern age, to be always available - maybe it isn't. I am not sure."

Was the call Friday real or staged? Giuliani received a similar call during a June 21 rally in Hialeah, Florida – telling the crowd it was his wife on the phone. The clip of that moment is posted on YouTube, and being noted by other campaigns.

The Giuliani campaign says the call was legitimate.

UPDATE: Wayne LaPierre, the executive vice president of the NRA, told CNN he thought the moment was "light hearted" and the crowd was "amused by it."

"I think we've all taken a lot of phone calls from our wives," LaPierre added.

Asked if he would take a call from his wife during a speech, Lapierre said, "I don't know that I would have it (the phone) in my pocket on."

– CNN's Alexander Mooney and Steve Brusk

Filed under: Rudy Giuliani
  1. John Thomas, Edina, MN

The most pathetic part of this story is that the audience actually applauded. I'll bet those numb skulls will be applauding, too, when Rudy takes away their guns and 2nd Amendment rights.

September 21, 2007 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  2. Can't stand the Sight of this fella

Aww come on Rudey – you really must think people are fools.

How could you know it was your wife, when the phone was still in your pocket. Great extra sensory preception there – the lamest publicity stunt of a loser trying to look like a "regular family guy"

You cheated on your wife, deserted her duing her illness, the list goes on.. loser

September 21, 2007 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  3. dredge

Ieeewwww!
    I wuv wooo!
    you hang up. okay i'll hang up first. you still there?..no you hang up...

awe shucks..Not only does Rudy "Love" his wife, but his wife is supportive too! He's a family values guy!

September 21, 2007 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  4. RA Las Vegas, NV

CNN allows homophobic comments within their news article commenting, but just not comments critical of CNN's reporting coverage. This type of reporting is simply amazing! How is this creditable news reporting?

September 21, 2007 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  5. Eyes Glazed Over, New York, NY

I'm trying to figure out which is more disturbing:
    –His cell phone ring tone (Silence your phone, Rudy)
    –That he answered the call (Rude-y)
    –Or that those NRA folk actually applauded him (Sheep with guns).

This whole poorly executed stunt reveals how empty this joke of a candidacy truly is. Can't wait til he appears in front of the next GOP special interest group dressed in drag... or, better yet, covered in soot from collapsed skyscrapers.

And can you imagine this guy trying to govern with that climber of a wife nagging at him every given moment:

WIFE: "Rudy, I don't CARE if it's the damned NSA giving you a daily threat assessment! You WILL come see me and help me pick out which dress to wear, and you WILL do it NOW!!!"

RUDY: "Okay honey. I love you. Love you. Love you. Sorry guys. This whole 'catch bin Laden' thing can wait. Any of you guys know the difference between Cynthia Rowley and Vera Wang?"

September 21, 2007 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  6. Del, Oneonta, NY

Is he trying to show he's a strong family man? I don't get it.

It just makes him look... whipped

September 21, 2007 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  7. Joe, Medford Oregon

In a recent poll, 29 percent of Americans believed the call was genuine, 70 percent believed it was staged and one percent were undecided.

September 21, 2007 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  8. Karen, New York

It is interesting that NOBODY believes it, that EVERYONE thinks it's staged and crass. I hope the voters are as intelligent when the primaries come around.

September 21, 2007 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  9. Fiona North Chicago IL

Wouldn't that be lovely to have a President who stops in a middle of a speech to use his cell phone. The wife is a gem too if she cannot even keep track of his schedule and when it is proper or improper to interrupt. Dah... Shes no Jackie Kennedy, he is no Jack Kennedy.either. Somewhere along the line I think class, common sense, and manners fell out the window..................

September 21, 2007 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  10. LC, Canada

LOL, I don't think the NRA folks bought it either.

Ciao Silvana...JFK HS.

September 21, 2007 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  11. Bob F, Austin TX

I'm not a Giuliani fan, but accepting those phone calls is a stroke of press-grabbing genius.

September 21, 2007 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  12. Dan (Columbia, MD)

You libs really need to stop the hypocrisy. If it the spouse of Clinton, Obama, or Edwards called them during the middle of a speech you'd all be talking about how sweet it was that they took the time to take the call.

Rudi is just exercising what every (smart) married man knows: Happy Wife = Happy Life.

September 21, 2007 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  13. Brook, Fremont CA

Rudy the Rude. Can we expect these kinds of inappropriate interruptions when he is representing our country in front of other heads of state? Is this the kind of needy, inconsiderate First Lady we can expect?

September 21, 2007 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  14. Robert Austin, Texas

TOTALLY STAGED!
    However, maybe she was calling to see if Guiliani was announcing their divorce during his speech...

September 21, 2007 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  15. Moe, NY

Sounds like it was staged to me! Another example of how Giuliani will try to pull the wool over american citizens eyes if elected. These republicans just don't get it...we want the truth especially after the years of republican lies.

September 21, 2007 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  16. LC

Maybe before the internet it would have been considered as genius, but now, with all the bloggers, you gotta be kidding me.

He's a dufus and I especially like the comment one poster had:

Sure, his wife can reach him anywhere, but the police and firemen on 911 couldn't reach anyone.

Anyone who votes for this guy should be ordered to iraq for a two year term, without armor.

September 21, 2007 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  17. Richard, Ewing, NJ

I am a republican, but I am not particularly excited about Rudy Giuliani - just don't think he has enough experience. Anyway, if it is staged, then it is stupid because it both dishonest and ineffective (what is the take home message?) If it is real, then it is stupid. Take a cell phone call in the middle of a meeting is particularly rude and impolite. When you have hundreds of people came to listen to you, it is extremely rude to ignore them and take a call.

September 21, 2007 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  18. Stephen, Manhattan

There was a report today of a man in the UK who filmed himself urinating on a dying woman so he could "get on YouTube." That despicable, media-hungry man has many things in common with Rudy Giuliani.

September 21, 2007 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  19. ALEX H., TUCSON, AZ

Rudy is certainly on a short leash. After so many failed marriages, this wife apparently doesn't trust him. Neither should the American voters.

September 21, 2007 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  20. Wiretaps all around!!

I wonder what the wiretap would reveal??

wiretap this too!!

September 21, 2007 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  21. Betty, Dallas, TX

Puh-leeze!!!
    This is the SECOND time the little "phone call from the wife" thing has happened (June 21 & now Sept. 21). So should we ? Do these two never talk so that she knows when he'll be in the middle of a televised speech (oh wait, maybe that was the plan in the first place!)? Does Rudy not know how to work the "silent" feature on his stupid phone? This is such a phony grand-standing media ploy. Sorry Rudy, didn't set well with me. Makes you look sort of idiotic IMO.

September 21, 2007 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  22. Rummy

Rudy Ridiculous......absolutely the perfect candidate for the party that manipulates the ignorant........sorry, I did not read all the posts here but I'll wager more than a few found this stupid display of Rudys and Judis to be just so so sweet!

September 21, 2007 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  23. Betty, Dallas, TX

Huumm... what happened to the rest of my sentence above?
    Should have said "So should we expect another staged phony call in about 3 months?"

September 21, 2007 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  24. Marianne Aston

Giuliani's campaign will implode anyway, with or without fake phone calls from his third wife. Believe me, I'm a New Yorker, and the vast majority of NYers did NOT like Rudy as mayor. He did a fine job that first few days of 9/11, but he has shamelessly taken advantage of it ever since INCLUDING trying to delay Bloomberg's inaugural so he could keep being mayor.

September 21, 2007 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  25. Bonnie, Arcadia, CA

SOOOOOO obviously staged. I can't imagine anyone in the world being so stupid as to think it wasn't.

September 21, 2007 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |