September 21st, 2007

When Judith calls, Rudy answers

Watch Giuliani take a call from his wife during a speech to the NRA. Was it real or staged? You decide.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – When former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani gets a call from his wife Judith he takes it, even if it happens in the middle of a speech to hundreds of people.

The New York Republican presidential hopeful was delivering a speech to the National Rifle Association Friday in Washington when his cell phone began to ring. He was in the middle of discussing the importance of the 2nd amendment.

"Let's see now, this is my wife calling, I think," he said as he answered the phone.

"Hello dear, I am talking to the members of the NRA right now, would you like to say hello?," he asked, as the crowd sat mostly silent.

She apparently did not.

"I love you and I will give you a call when I am finished, OK," he said, trying to wrap up the call. "Have a safe trip, talk to you later dear I love you."

The crowd quietly applauded after he ended the call and Giuliani joked, "It’s a lot better that way. This is one of the great blessings of the modern age, to be always available - maybe it isn't. I am not sure."

Was the call Friday real or staged? Giuliani received a similar call during a June 21 rally in Hialeah, Florida – telling the crowd it was his wife on the phone. The clip of that moment is posted on YouTube, and being noted by other campaigns.

The Giuliani campaign says the call was legitimate.

UPDATE: Wayne LaPierre, the executive vice president of the NRA, told CNN he thought the moment was "light hearted" and the crowd was "amused by it."

"I think we've all taken a lot of phone calls from our wives," LaPierre added.

Asked if he would take a call from his wife during a speech, Lapierre said, "I don't know that I would have it (the phone) in my pocket on."

– CNN's Alexander Mooney and Steve Brusk

Filed under: Rudy Giuliani
  1. Rocco, Wellington, Fl.

Giuliani is disgusting! Imagine him as President, doesn't that make your skin crawl?

September 21, 2007 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  2. Aaron, Oceanside, CA

Oh, ho, ho, so funny. So funny. "Hello, dear, I'm talking to people who want to destroy this country even more than it already is right now. Hee-hee. Can you, hee-hee, call me back later? Sorry, folks. Now, where were we? Ah, yes, how can I get elected so that I make things even worse than they already are."

What a total slimebag this guy is. I weep for this country. Seriously.

September 21, 2007 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  3. Martin, Rochester, MN

Well played PR stunt Rudy

September 21, 2007 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  4. G. Hunter, SF, CA

Which wife? 3rd wives and gun nuts, that's the GOP for ya!

September 21, 2007 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  5. Bill Meyer Chico, CA

Just some window dressing to show how much he loves his (3rd) wife. The guy is truly a buffoon.

I can see him in cabinet meetings or during the State of the Union answering his cell phone. And people are actually considering voting for this guy?

September 21, 2007 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  6. t. sims

Ghouliani?
    Is the best the republicans can offer? An opportunist that is ready to ascend to the white house using the grave stones of the 9/11 dead for stairs...?

September 21, 2007 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  7. Kris, Toronto, Canada

I would be phoning him every second, too. Gotta keep an eye on that tom-catin' pimp.

I wonder which wife/girlfriend it was?

September 21, 2007 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  8. Farrell, San Diego, Ca

I just saw the video. Where's the Miller Lite beer can that was supposed to drop on him?

"Hi Dear, I'm making a speech right now. I love you." BAM drops the beer can! Real men!

September 21, 2007 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  9. RB, from the bay state

Can you imagine?

Someone dumber than Bush is actually running for the White House?

Oy – this is too much.............Rudy, it's over.

September 21, 2007 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  10. lakeside, Eaton, OH

Oh my gosh!!!!! How dumb does he think we are? He said "this is my wife, I think" even before he took the phone from his pocket. Well, I guess the majority of Americans are dumb, according to the last two presidential elections. Then maybe not, whatwith the way the election was stolen. Ohio being one the states. Bush got more votes than registered voters in some counties. Wonder how that happened. Lord help us.

September 21, 2007 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  11. toolhater, LA, CA

Fake.

September 21, 2007 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  12. Andrew, Jakarta, Indonesia

Reminds me of the joke about talking to your wife after sex "Only if there's a phone handy!"

It's clearly a signal of some sort – need to watch what's happening elsewhere in the room when it happens next time.

And thanks for the post OJ. I knew you didn't do it. Hope the trip back from Vegas was OK.

September 21, 2007 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  13. Shawnie - Grants Pass, OR

Forget the cheapness or the phoniness of the phone call itself, the rest of his speech was wooden.

September 21, 2007 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  14. Brian H., Drexel Hill, PA

I was considering voting for him until this abhorent stunt. How unpresidential. I dont care if I was giving a speech in front of 1st grade classroom-you turn the phone off, or you duck the call. Im agreement with another commenter here, this does insult our intelligence. Giuliani has selected poor consultants which should be a reflection of who he would select for his advisors. I wish someone would ask that question of him in a future debate...

September 21, 2007 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  15. Mike Wheaton, Seattle, WA

Who cares?

September 21, 2007 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  16. paulette ft lauderdale florida

now that illigal alians in new york will get drivers licens when you became president you going to give them citizenship too i see all every one care about is illegal alians i wish i was an illegal alian i would have a better life in america,i an american citizen i pay my tax and abide by the law but who is looking out for me,i dont have a vacation since 2000,i dont have health insurance for mu self and my family,i dont have homeowners insurance i caunt afford if how is this for the american dream,i will never vote again i am ashame to be an american.

September 21, 2007 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  17. Amy from Washington

CNN is deleting comments!

I thought that CNN had some backbone. Obviously, if they will report this and yet say nothing about congress voting against our freedom of speech by voting to condemn those that speak out against this administration and congress and do not even report on the congress's vote to end habeas corpus this week, they are part of the problem not part of the solution!

Just check back in 5 minutes, CNN will have deleted this comment because it casts a negative image on them. Is CNN in favor of freedom of speech?

They have now deleted my last four comments to this article.

September 21, 2007 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  18. joan cantwell niantic, ct 06357

If this is What a presidentialcandidate thinks is Acceptable when on the speakers podium then GOD help us all. What a rude and inappropriate gesture on rudy's part. He owes the NRA an apology !!

September 21, 2007 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  19. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

What a jerk, Rudy. Just stupid joke. Caller and Receiver are same idot. It is too late to show the family value, three times marriage is enough for Rudy? People can get married 10 times but not our president. What a human trashes.

September 21, 2007 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  20. Laura Niles MI

He's trying to show the world what a great husband he is FOR THE MOMENT. Sooner or later he'll spit on this one too. And his kids already hate his guts. Tells us something anyway.

September 21, 2007 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  21. Dave T., Waldwick, NJ

Politics in this country is becoming more and more "entertainment" and less and less about issues. The reason is quite simple. For some reason, the is a large portion of the population gullible enough to fall for theatrics like that put on by Giulani, by George Bush during the WMD fiasco, etc. Come on, America, wake up and vote for leadership ... assuming that we still have some!

September 21, 2007 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  22. Greg, Los Angeles, CA

Maybe the most transparent stunt ever... Gee, I guess he's really a family guy after all. It's like watching Spock try to act more human. It would be funny if so many brain-dead, couch potato Americans didn't fall for it.

September 21, 2007 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  23. Rudy, NY, NY

I agree with the poster who stated that CNN is deleting comments and it looks like they are editing them either. It is one thing for them not to accept comments but once something is posted unless it has offensive language it should be allowed to stay. It is ridiculous they they can and do block free speech.

September 21, 2007 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  24. Tammy, Denton, Maryland

Has he lost his mind? If we're in the middle of a national emergency will he stop to take a call from his wife? That would be just as bad as Bush sitting for seven minutes and continuing to read My Pet Goat after learning the country was under attack on 9/11.

What's wrong with Judy that she can't wait until her husband is finished giving a speech. Is she that needy? Folks, this is very telling.

September 21, 2007 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  25. essy

Is it rude of him for not turning his mobile off but actually speaking to the caller.

September 21, 2007 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |