September 21st, 2007

When Judith calls, Rudy answers

Watch Giuliani take a call from his wife during a speech to the NRA. Was it real or staged? You decide.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – When former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani gets a call from his wife Judith he takes it, even if it happens in the middle of a speech to hundreds of people.

The New York Republican presidential hopeful was delivering a speech to the National Rifle Association Friday in Washington when his cell phone began to ring. He was in the middle of discussing the importance of the 2nd amendment.

"Let's see now, this is my wife calling, I think," he said as he answered the phone.

"Hello dear, I am talking to the members of the NRA right now, would you like to say hello?," he asked, as the crowd sat mostly silent.

She apparently did not.

"I love you and I will give you a call when I am finished, OK," he said, trying to wrap up the call. "Have a safe trip, talk to you later dear I love you."

The crowd quietly applauded after he ended the call and Giuliani joked, "It’s a lot better that way. This is one of the great blessings of the modern age, to be always available - maybe it isn't. I am not sure."

Was the call Friday real or staged? Giuliani received a similar call during a June 21 rally in Hialeah, Florida – telling the crowd it was his wife on the phone. The clip of that moment is posted on YouTube, and being noted by other campaigns.

The Giuliani campaign says the call was legitimate.

UPDATE: Wayne LaPierre, the executive vice president of the NRA, told CNN he thought the moment was "light hearted" and the crowd was "amused by it."

"I think we've all taken a lot of phone calls from our wives," LaPierre added.

Asked if he would take a call from his wife during a speech, Lapierre said, "I don't know that I would have it (the phone) in my pocket on."

– CNN's Alexander Mooney and Steve Brusk

Filed under: Rudy Giuliani
  1. J. McKinney Bolivar, MO

Staged AND ridiculous. He was apparently having his wife or SOMEONE call so he could show how warm and loving he is,with the 2 or 3 "I love you's" in one sentence. But I can't think but that even the most loving husband would be a little flustered and impatient IF he had forgotten to turn off his cell phone and his wife interrupted a speech. He was cool as a cucumber–he knew exactly that this call was coming. I never would have voted for him anyway, but this really turns me off.

September 21, 2007 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  2. Wilhelmina Devon, New Orleans, LA

Staged or not staged, that's not the question. The fact is ... well, I don't understand if that an RG does not swicth his mobile phone off while he's delivering a speech. Come one Rud...

September 21, 2007 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  3. Wilhelmina Devon

Staged or not staged, that's not the question. The fact is … well, I don't understand is that RG does not swicth his mobile phone off while he's delivering a speech. Come one Rud…

September 21, 2007 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  4. Wilhelmina Devon, New Orleans, LA

Staged or not staged, that's not the question. The fact is … well, what I don't understand is that RG does not switch his mobile phone off while he's delivering a speech as if he does not know the very simple and basic rule. Etiquette, please. Come one Rud …

September 21, 2007 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  5. CP, Charlotte, NC

Rudy's a putz.

September 21, 2007 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  6. Joe, Signal Mountain, TN

Ron Paul has been married to the same woman for 50+ years, unlike Rudy (charter member of the wife-of-the-month club) ... but he doesn't take calls from her during speeches. None of Rudy McRompson can beat Hillary, anyway. It's Ron Paul or 8 years of Hillary ... your pick, GOP voters!

September 21, 2007 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  7. Tom W, Costa Mesa, Ca

What a joke, but the Limbaugh crowd probably thinks this call was real (this and roller derby).

September 21, 2007 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  8. Anonymous

That is so phony. Phony phony phony. Creepy phony.

September 21, 2007 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  9. Wes, Buffalo, NY

This is not news

September 22, 2007 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  10. Stephen Webber, New York, NY

Everything about Rudy Guliani is a fraud, including this phone call.

September 22, 2007 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  11. gordon Huser, mpls. mn

um, how did he know it was his wife before it rang? the phone always vibrates the same. And to think that this happened during his speech to the NRA, the group he described as "extremists" -huh, funny, well, at least he loves his wife. WHAT A CROCK. LOL

September 22, 2007 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  12. O.J. Las Vegas, NV

We just ASSUME it was his wife calling. Could be his latest mistress.

I couldn't help but think what a great Bob Newhart routine this would have made.

September 22, 2007 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  13. Jeff, Seattle, WA

No wonder our country is failing. most people on this site think it was rude of him to take this call.

OF COURSE IT WAS A STUNT. NO NATIONAL SPEAKER TAKES A PHONE TO A SPEECH. THE CHEESINESS MAKES ME WANT TO VOMIT. THE CROWD DID NOT THINK IT WAS "CUTE".

I am in serious shock that most people think this was genuine.

September 22, 2007 05:40 am at 5:40 am |
  14. Jean - Paul DeJean

Seems like Rudy is changing with technology: he communicates with this wife via cell phone; he communicated with her predecessor in title via Press Conference.

September 22, 2007 05:55 am at 5:55 am |
  15. Frank, Charlotte, NC

It's amazing Rudy didn;t come from Hollywood. He'sthe ULTIMATE photo-op politician. EVERYTHING he does is staged!

September 22, 2007 06:21 am at 6:21 am |
  16. Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

Since Rudy dumped his second wife (announced his divorce in public before telling his wife in private) Judy was probably calling to make sure they were still married!

This is the women that will be sitting in at cabinet
    meetings if he is President??

The call was not sweet, it was tacky.

September 22, 2007 07:43 am at 7:43 am |
  17. JJ, hoboken, nj

PR brilliance. Just like taking on the moveon.retards, the Giuliani campaign knows how to get headlines. Clearly why he is the best Republican candidate in the field and why he will be our next president. California, NJ and Penn. going red this year.

September 22, 2007 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  18. Jim, Durham, NC

If a Democrat did this, would you lemmings still think it was staged?

September 22, 2007 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  19. Bradda, Los Angeles,CA

Conservaives are cute. Like little rabid baby bunnies. F-Guli and F-theelectoral college. When will we argue about important things? Dem or Reb?

September 22, 2007 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  20. Bradda, Los Angeles,CA

This is the guy who headed the cleaning up and disposing of the worst crime scene in American history. Everything gone, no questions. Beware this man!

September 22, 2007 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  21. Rose New Lonodon, CT

To all of you who have noticed CNN deleting comments, it is true. I remarked Rudy wanted support from the NRA and I said his own kids dont support him, why should the NRA. It was deleted. Every UGLY comment about Hillary is left unsensored. This to will be deleted but, I thought Hannity was screening comments.

September 22, 2007 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  22. A. Thomas, New York, NY

It was a stunt by Giuliani for sure, in order to soften his past bad family image.

I saw the video clip, and he knew that the call was from his wife before he picked it up. That call could be from his campaign manager from the audience instead, as it was timed right.

Yeah, Giuliani is a phoney, as a 3-dollar bill.

September 22, 2007 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  23. Tod McGinley,Sun City Center, Florida

I am glad that you said that his wife's name was Judith,because, when I heard that his wife called him, I wondered–which one? here's a guy that's been married 3 or 4 times, and his kids don't even talk to him! I wonder if he ever heard Fr.Hesburg's statement at Notre Dame. THE BEST THING THAT A MAN CAN DO FOR HIS CHILDREN-IS LOVE THEIR MOTHER.

September 22, 2007 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  24. Don Bo. Virginia Beach, VA

Same thing happened in June? What a coincidence! I would bet that this was completely staged. Either that, or his wife is an idiot, for calling him when she had to know he was at the NRA, either on the podium, or mingling with the attendees. If I were to address the NRA, or any other group, I'd be sure to shut off my cell phone, and give the membership my undivided attention. To do otherwise shows a complete lack of respect for his audience. Oh. I see. Never mind. (Sign me as an NRA Life Member who is not an extremist).

September 22, 2007 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  25. Becca Memphis,TN

God deliver us from Shecky Guiliani.

September 22, 2007 11:08 am at 11:08 am |