September 22nd, 2007

Clinton: I am not a lesbian

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton's sexuality is not the most pressing issue on the presidential campaign trail, but it is likely to get a fair amount of attention on a lazy Friday in the nation’s capital.

The Advocate asked Clinton about past rumors that she is gay.

The New York Democrat tells “The Advocate” that she is not a lesbian, according to a story in Friday’s edition of The New York Daily News.

"It's not true, but it is something that I have no control over," Clinton tells the magazine in a story set for publication next week.

“People will say what they want to say," she added.

The comments came in response to a question posed by Sean Kennedy, an editor of the Advocate: "How do you respond to the occasional rumor that you're a lesbian?"

Kennedy tells CNN he asked Clinton about the rumors because "they are a point of solidarity between her and the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) community."

"Because her political opponents, and others, have used the word 'lesbian' to hurt her personally and politically, she knows first hand the stigma associated with homosexuality just as gay people do," Kennedy said. "She did not seem surprised by the question in the least and responded like the experienced politician she is."

The interview was conducted immediately after last month's Human Rights Campaign presidential forum.

UPDATE: The Advocate has published the full article on its Web site

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. David, Los Angeles, CA

"I will mention again, she is against gay marriage so is she hateful and spiteful like the GOP or do you pick and choose?"

Being "against" gay marriage and being hateful and spiteful towards gay people are not one and the same. The country (and the Democrats) are ambivalent at best about gay marriage. They are conflicted about it and they have reservations.

That is very different from the GOP's open hostility towards gay people. Of course since conservatives cannot recognize nuance if it hit them in the head, it's no surprise that you failed to notice this difference.

September 21, 2007 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  2. J.Crobuzon

I just want to state for the record so everyone will know for sure that I am NOT a lesbian, nor have I ever been one. Yes, I am seen frequently with single women. Yes, some of my best friends are single women. And yes, some of these friendships are quite close. But this does not mean I am a lesbian, but that I am a large, hairy, friendly man.

September 21, 2007 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  3. Tricia M Charlottetown PEI

I see the elementary schools in the US closed early today and all the children are playing on the WWW. CNN
    it is time you monitored your blog sites. Parents will be on your case soon for allowing their children to view inappropriate, disgusting content from Republican Party Supporters!

But, Republican certainly couldn't make it more clear. They are scared to death this Great Woman is going to be elected! AWW GEE. Too bad for the Republicans.

If these are your only tools in your bag of dirty politics you all deserve our sympathy. And I'd wager that all the disgusting comments are from the Republican Neoninnies. They will stoop to the lowest levels to try to salvage a vote for their candidates because thus far not one of them has even a slim chance at the White House.

Hillary has more morals in her little finger than Republicans have in their whole house of representatives. Republicans should get an award for the most corrupt, vicious, slanderous, war mongering, inept, destructive party in international politics.

Congrats to the Repugnants and please keep slinging the manure at your righteous competition. Your public enlightenment of your own party's lack of morals and character is proving to be greatest asset Democrat Candidates could have ever hoped to receive! Please Carry on.

September 21, 2007 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  4. Richard Braun

Why should we care if she is or isn't? Shame on the Advocate and shame on CNN. Irrelevant, immaterial and insignificant nonsense. But tonally consistent with the media which has nothing better to do.

September 21, 2007 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  5. Youve Myemail, Mainstream, ST

I think THIS ONE move was astute of Hillary addressing this issue head on.

September 21, 2007 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  6. patriot76

Here's a photograph of the Republican Party gossip machine in action: http://wwwthepartyofthewidestance.blogspot.com/

September 21, 2007 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  7. BDB

Hillary, you're looking at this all wrong. This is the one sure fire way to get a majority of the male vote. Come on, a lesbian in the White House? Now that's HOT!

September 21, 2007 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  8. Justin Az

really advocate...such class.

September 21, 2007 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  9. Scott, Rockledge, FL

It is ridiculous that any responsible journalist would ask anyone about their sexual orientation or sexual practices. Its out of hand and legitimate media should be done with repeating or spreading rumours as well as asking personal questions, its just not news its gossip. Such personal information could never be news in any event, I think it is an invasion of privacy for anyone to ask anyone "are you gay?" or "do you like anal sex?" Feel free to investigate relevant rumours but don't repeat or spread them, please!!!

September 21, 2007 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  10. charlie, raleigh, NC

quibbling with words like Bill

she said she is not a lesbian
    BUT did NOT say she is not a bisexual.

for the next year take anything a candidate says with a huge grain of salt

September 21, 2007 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  11. Deborah H. Arrington, Kingsport, Tennessee

If you think about just how much money Karl Rove and the Republicans would have gladly paid some female to come forward & claim to having been "involved" with Senator Clinton, even when she was a teen, you have to know there can't be anything out there.......legal or illegal. This woman has attracted intense hatred for years now. It will follow her to her grave. But historians will show her as one of the most admired and capable women in U.S. history, regardless of whether or not she becomes our next President.

September 21, 2007 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  12. Bob Ellis, Weatherford, Ok.

She can't be a lesbian. The repubs have got the homosexual thing all sewed up.

September 21, 2007 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  13. Anonymous

It makes me sad to see this. Just becuase she is a power woman who likes to wear pants suits then she most be gay, that is a very dissaponting assumption.

September 21, 2007 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  14. Al-Aubrn, Maine

I have always thought that she was a lesbian. She has the look. Does'nt matter if she is but she should be honest about it.

September 21, 2007 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  15. Sher, Oakland, CA

I wish she were. She's hot.

And, according to these moron rightwingers, she'd serve better as a "lesbian" anyway.

Face it Righties, you think you are superior to women and you can't stand it that a women would/could be president.

Look at the idiot Bush as president. A paper clip would be a better president than him.

September 21, 2007 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  16. Fed Up with CNN Ticker, Rochester NY

As far as I'm concerned, this is the straw that broke the camel's back. All summer this CNN ticker has incessantly been running the most trivial nonsense (Obama's wife says he smells bad, 50 Cent "endorses" Clinton, etc.), and then opens up the comment board to every tinfoil hat wearing whack job on the planet who wants to put in their two cents (Hillary must be gay because she's a Democrat and wears pants suits - good Lord). It's not like there is a war on or anything. Well, I know which network/website I will no longer be visiting. Good work, folks, I won't be back.

September 21, 2007 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  17. Stan, Toronto, Canada

I am reading this from a distance....in Canada. Having a women, this intelligent, this expereinced, this wise is a gift, sad to see that squandered for what amount to tabloid trash....a famous quote from the North, "the state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation" In other words whether she is or isn't....it's none of your business anyway.

September 21, 2007 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  18. Jane Buchanan, Dallas, Texas

Of course she is, always has been, can't believe anyone would vote for her.

September 21, 2007 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  19. Anonymous

and what about her doughter?

September 21, 2007 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  20. Shane Iverson, Bethel, Alaska

Where's the evidence? How is this a story? Where's the pages, the bathroom stalls or the disgruntal lover? Nowhere, okay, I guess this shouldn't even be printed then.

I'll visit this site again when they report on news.

September 21, 2007 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  21. Marc Miyashiro, Clayton CA

"Beyond every rumor their is an Iota of truth."
    Someone with an iota of education might realize how absurd that statement sounds.

September 21, 2007 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  22. Bubba the Conspiracy Buff, Swainsboro GA

Philip, you guys are known to be pretty easy to fool. I'd quit admitting it and do some quick research if I were you.
    Tinfoil hat people: it's not very likely that anyone running for office is anything other than what they claim to be. One of the advantages of having them campaign so publicly is that they are known to a huge number of people and can't easily hide secrets and flaws. The chances that Hillary is secretly planning to take over the world are pretty low; concentrate instead upon the chances of her introducing legislation for debate over issues you abhor. Very likely Mitt doesn't have a million Mormon soldiers ready to burn our churches either.
    And you guys who know guys who know guys who know for a fact she's a lesbian? You're easily fooled guys, aren't you? Maybe you're lesbians(I heard you were).
    CNN: running this story is like holding open auditions at the Bad Comedy Club. I just flew in from Lesbia, and boy, are my arms tired.

September 21, 2007 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  23. mdhatter

Friends, no matter how you parse it, Hillary answered directly and completely that her straight/gay status was quite beyond her control, and not a choice but a fact.

Maybe you're used to 'the decider's' mangling of our language, but Hillary is a bit more precise.

From what she said she likely sees it the other way around as well, that gays are gay, it's a fact not a lifestyle. Which is the correct answer if the message that you're not a hater.

No gay person is offended by someone simply being straight, but even straight people get offended when politicians don't have an opinion on whether or not who a person IS is acceptable and valued.

We're equals, or we're not. Hillary thinks we are. Period.

I'm still not voting for her.

September 21, 2007 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  24. Ashamed, Appleton, WI

I think this is a ridiculous argument. What because a woman wants to take away the "man" power and domination of this country, so now she is a lesbian? Get real! I think our society is a shameful mess. Even if she was a lesbian what would be the big stinking deal? I can't even express how disappointed I am... it is 2007 people!

September 21, 2007 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  25. anonymous

I can't make up my mind! First I said she was gay, then I took it back. then I attacked her again, then I attacked myself!

I must be crazy!