September 22nd, 2007

Clinton: I am not a lesbian

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton's sexuality is not the most pressing issue on the presidential campaign trail, but it is likely to get a fair amount of attention on a lazy Friday in the nation’s capital.

The Advocate asked Clinton about past rumors that she is gay.

The New York Democrat tells “The Advocate” that she is not a lesbian, according to a story in Friday’s edition of The New York Daily News.

"It's not true, but it is something that I have no control over," Clinton tells the magazine in a story set for publication next week.

“People will say what they want to say," she added.

The comments came in response to a question posed by Sean Kennedy, an editor of the Advocate: "How do you respond to the occasional rumor that you're a lesbian?"

Kennedy tells CNN he asked Clinton about the rumors because "they are a point of solidarity between her and the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) community."

"Because her political opponents, and others, have used the word 'lesbian' to hurt her personally and politically, she knows first hand the stigma associated with homosexuality just as gay people do," Kennedy said. "She did not seem surprised by the question in the least and responded like the experienced politician she is."

The interview was conducted immediately after last month's Human Rights Campaign presidential forum.

UPDATE: The Advocate has published the full article on its Web site

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. bill birmingham alabama

uh, Hillarybeast...define lesbian...bill tried this....

September 21, 2007 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  2. Wendy, Detroit, MI

The first time I heard that Hillary Clinton was gay was when I lived in the UK in the early 90's. I'd never heard it here, but, was told "it's common knowledge" and people were shocked I didn't know it. Gay or straight, I'm still not voting for her. Hillary Clinton doesn't represent me.

September 21, 2007 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  3. swb

YOU CAN SEE IN HER FACE HOW THIS HURT HER. I FEEL SORRY FOR MRS. CLINTON. WE IN THIS AMERICA, HAVE BECOME SO HARD HEARDED AND "HEARTS HAVE WAXED COLD" FOR SURE.
    THIS, WHEREEVER IT STARTED, NEEDS TO END NOW. THIS DOESN'T SHOW WELL TO THE WORLD AT A TIME AS WE FIND OURSELVES IN OVERALL.
    THIS SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE OR SOMETHING IS TRYING TO GET BACK AT DEMS. FOR THE STORY ABOUT THAT GENERAL.

September 21, 2007 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  4. austin tx

this is more corprate garbage news why dont we talk about how NOLA's still struggling and maybe about the million people we've murdered for no reason in Iraq

September 21, 2007 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  5. Dennis of Vermont

she definitely is a lesbian

September 21, 2007 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  6. Uwe Warkholdt, Elliot Lake, Ontario, Canada

I am a Canadian citizen and resident, I watch your news regularly and I feel priviliged to be able to comment.

I find it odd to what I think are "cheap shots". Would it not be better to stick to the issues at hand and what would serve your country the best? Remember, I feel that Bill Clinton was an excellent president. Remember how strong your economy was then. Perhaps she might be just as good or better.

September 21, 2007 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  7. James Linton, Sanford, Florida

Sure Hilary is a lesbo. She is a lot of other things also. I never blamed Bill for whatever he did, just don't do it in my Oval Office!!

September 21, 2007 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  8. Cappa, Seattle WA

Hillary is the best thing we have going for this country at this point. Who cares if she's gay or not? Shouldn't that be something between her and Bill per se?!

September 21, 2007 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  9. D., Palo Alto, CA

Why are conservatives sexually obsessed with Hillary?

September 21, 2007 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  10. dee, Chapel Hill, NC

CNN, why would you even print this? Obama is not black enough, Edwards is gay and Hillary is gay?
    And they say the media is a liberal machine... this is not news, its propaganda and hateful.

September 21, 2007 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  11. Herbert D. Safford, Cedar Falls, Iowa

Have you no sense of decency, CNN? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?

Why must the alternative to mainstream media be pandering trash?

September 21, 2007 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  12. Deborah, Carlsbad, CA

Who cares what side of the bed she sleeps? Can we pass a healthcare bill, stop this crazy war and clean up the justice system?
    That’s what I and many Americans care about. So please let’s get back to the real debate.

September 21, 2007 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  13. Linda, Willowbrook IL

I feel bad that anyone would need to repeatedly answer a question about sexuality. This shows how focused on non issues some of us are. I don't see anyone going overboard asking about healthcare, taxes or the war.
    Pathetic

September 21, 2007 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  14. maddy, rockville, md

Who posted that awful photo of Sen. Clinton, and "why" is this even news??

September 21, 2007 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  15. Tony Masselli NY NY

Come on Huff Post....give Hillary a break...you pick on her too much!

September 21, 2007 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  16. Dan Ferrisi, Garden City, NY

I long for the day when sexual orientation is considered as meaningful as hair color and eye color.

I can see the headline now: "Hillary Denies Having Green Eyes"

The sex lives of politicians are NOT the country's business.

September 21, 2007 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  17. On a plane in St Louis

I flew on an airplane years ago with a very nice (and beautiful) lady from Little Rock Arkansas. We were on the same plane in St Louis. She claims that Hilary and Bill often had hordes of women (both had different hordes) that would be ushered in and out of the governor's mansion. I doubted the story at first until I heard of the detail. This lady was at the party and witnessed the revolving doors and the inuendos that were present. She spoke openly that the people in Arkansas knew of this behavior and did not care. She stated it was known amongst all people close the Clintons.

I am surprised that people are surprised here. She will make a terrible president for a lot of reasons, the least of which is her being a alleged lesbian.

September 21, 2007 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  18. E Hansen Simi CA

My biggest fear above terrorism would be Hilary Clinton as President. I remember White Water and all the so called suicides of people in Arkansas. Also the mysterious death of Vince Foster. Not too mention Hilary stayed with Bill after humilating herself and claims GOd helped her. I say God help us all and PLEASE DO NOT ELECT HILARY

September 21, 2007 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  19. JB Boston MA

For you Simpson fans:

Replace "we do" with "Karl Rove does". . .

All: Who controls the British crown?
    Who keeps the metric system down?
    We do! We do!

Karl: Who leaves Atlantis off the maps?Lenny: Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
    Alien: We do! We do!

All: Who holds back the electric car?
    Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
    We do! We do!

Skinner: Who robs cavefish of their sight?
    Homer: Who rigs every Oscar night?
    All: We do! We do

I can't believe the audacity of Karl Rove to MAKE The Advocate ask the question. You people are absurd!

September 21, 2007 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  20. JG, New York City, NY

another lie by Clinton.

September 21, 2007 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  21. Beth Sanborn

For Petes sake!
    The republicans must be very concerned.
    Here we go with the the tabloid crud. Listen to what she is saying folks. She is the only one making sense out there.

September 21, 2007 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  22. Michael B., Clarkston, MI

>What Republican media machine? Oh, you mean the most watched news network on television, yeah, they started this rumor.

That would be Fixed News to you buster. Or Faux News if your perfer. I have a PC block on it on my cable, as I refuse to watch their slanted garbage even when channel surfing.

September 21, 2007 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  23. Jennifer Ramirez, Chicago, IL

Leave it to the republicans to talk trash- shame on you! Worry about your party pedophiles, not Hilary!

September 21, 2007 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  24. Julius Marks - Indianapolis, IN

More than 250 comments in before the first Vince-Foster-was-killed-by-Hillary reference ?!?

What's wrong with you guys, today ?

September 21, 2007 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  25. James, Phoenix AZ

Why is everyone so offended?? You dems act as if being a Lesbian is some horrific label!?

September 21, 2007 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |