September 22nd, 2007

Clinton: I am not a lesbian

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton's sexuality is not the most pressing issue on the presidential campaign trail, but it is likely to get a fair amount of attention on a lazy Friday in the nation’s capital.

The Advocate asked Clinton about past rumors that she is gay.

The New York Democrat tells “The Advocate” that she is not a lesbian, according to a story in Friday’s edition of The New York Daily News.

"It's not true, but it is something that I have no control over," Clinton tells the magazine in a story set for publication next week.

“People will say what they want to say," she added.

The comments came in response to a question posed by Sean Kennedy, an editor of the Advocate: "How do you respond to the occasional rumor that you're a lesbian?"

Kennedy tells CNN he asked Clinton about the rumors because "they are a point of solidarity between her and the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) community."

"Because her political opponents, and others, have used the word 'lesbian' to hurt her personally and politically, she knows first hand the stigma associated with homosexuality just as gay people do," Kennedy said. "She did not seem surprised by the question in the least and responded like the experienced politician she is."

The interview was conducted immediately after last month's Human Rights Campaign presidential forum.

UPDATE: The Advocate has published the full article on its Web site

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. John DeGroot, Daly City CA

The Main Drip MEDIA is DEAD!!! Yeah!
    I despise this woman, but the MDM is pond scum vomit.
    Fold the tent it's over. YouTube is now in control, Oh except Drudge who rules the roost. Good Day!

September 21, 2007 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  2. Walt, Belton, TX

I wondered where the nickname "Spritz" Clinton came from..............

September 21, 2007 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  3. Carol, California

Wow I guess I'm out of it. I've always assumed she was gay and I thought everyone else did too. It always seemed obvious to me that she and Bill are power-crazed, business partners – nothing else. But then again this is Hillary. She'll say anything to pander to whatever group she's talking to, right? I guess she's given up being black for awhile, now she's going to hint around that she's gay to pick up a few votes. Maybe next she'll travel to Alaska and turn into an Eskimo. But really, her sexual preference does not matter to me. I despise the woman regardless of what she does on her own time.

September 21, 2007 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  4. Ann Davis Midland, Texas

Why am I not surprised. I have yet to meet an honest Democrat.

September 21, 2007 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  5. Danielle, Dublin, Ireland

Oh god, leave her alone. Have they nothing better to ask her?

Anyway, I wish she was one!

September 21, 2007 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  6. Sonya, Tucson, AZ

If this story is part of some conspiracy, I think the credit should go to the Democrats. It certainly is wise to get this out and talked about now so that it is nothing but very old news when it really matters. Think of it as taking the ammunition out of the hands of Republicans. Oh, maybe we need to do that in more than a metaphorical way.

September 21, 2007 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  7. BJL411

Yes my tv's and tivo and pc's are all blocked from EVER tuning to Faux the Fake Snooze Network.

I love how someone posts "anonymously" and then calls her a lesbo.

Amazing I live in a country full of damn ignorants.

Let's compare this woman's history from the time she was in high school, and her activism for the good of people, compared to any one, especially females, in Washington.

Her husband is a great man who has a weak eye for "skirts". Give me a break! 60% divorce rate in this country (yet they've stayed together), then let's talk about all the married men and women in this country who cheat on their spouses.

Give me a break. Bush and Cheney belong in prison and we need a smart strong president that won't take the BS the right hands out.

Go Hillary!

I send her a $100 everytime someone posts some stupid article about her. I guess it's time to go donate again.

September 21, 2007 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  8. Coleen, West Springfield, MA

Everytime a strong woman competes legitimately against a man and starts to beat them at thier own game, the 'she's a lesbian' rumor mill starts! C'mon people!

September 21, 2007 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  9. CJ, Catlettsburg, Ky.

What on earth is wrong with all of you? Another person's sexuality is "NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS." Evidently, a large portion of people in this country do not have enough to keep them busy or they are simply too STUPID to care or know what is going on around them. There are so many issues which need to be addressed in this country, and I certainly do not give one iota of a hoot about who sleeps with who, but since a large number of you are interested in this, why not put the same effort in determining all those in Washington who have multiple partners? Just try entering a name in Google and search within a search for mistress, lover, etc. You can entertain yourselves with all the hot tickets! If all of you would only concern yourselves with why our constitutional rights are dwindling, our soldiers being killed daily in Iraq, the role of Blackwater Security in our government, why this administration is not made to accept accountability for their actions, why those who are not US citizens are not made to abide by US laws, why our borders remain open, health care, and the overwhelming other serious issues facing this country, we would ALL be a lot better off.

September 21, 2007 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  10. Michael, New York, New ork

An issue only for the small minded.

I'll take lesbian over stupid all day long though. Should be a nice change in the Oval Office.

September 21, 2007 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  11. David Louisville KY

This statement requires...to quote a wise senator..."a willing suspension of disbelief."

Oh, maybe being called a liar isn't quite so nice when the situation is turned around.

September 21, 2007 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  12. looloo, fort worth, texas

The same thing has been said about George Bush.

September 21, 2007 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  13. John H. Columbus Ga

I can see it now: A political add with Hillary surrounded by, and being swooned by, the Chippendales to rebuff this! Boy I'd like to be one. I think she's hot! You go girl!

September 21, 2007 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  14. Jeff, Philadelphia, PA

You're more likely to find Rudy Guliani in a dress and makeup, but that doesn't mean Hillary is gay.

September 21, 2007 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  15. dawn, lawrence, ks

Oh, c'mon! I wish she were queer– and of course, because I'm a gay woman your article caught my eye. But really this is just more sexism. You guys can't stop poking at her– at her appearance, her love life– for no reason other than that she's an ambitious, gifted female. Admit it, she's the only one on either side of the presidential pack that can be trusted with the job.

September 21, 2007 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  16. L T Harris, Soddy Daisy, Tn

I'm not a Hillary Clinton fan but good grief play fair. What does this have to do with anything I should care about?

September 21, 2007 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  17. Jose Castillo phenix city Al.

A SOCIAL LESBIAN MAYBE? BY NOT BEING
    IN CONTROL.

September 21, 2007 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  18. boohoo, texas

Usually those "diagnosing" others are talking about themselves: Larry Craig, Ted Haggard, Mark Foley, David Vitter, etc, etc.

September 21, 2007 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  19. Dick Hertz, Manville, NJ

It is 2:50 EST, and CNN just changed to a different and far more flattering picture of Hillary at the top of this page. I suppose their Democratic masters told them they better not let Hillary Marx look bad .

September 21, 2007 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  20. Dave, CDA, Idaho

I heard this a long, long time ago well before Bill had any falling out. I heard this from someone who knew the Clintons well. He indicated that Hillary made no effort to hide her sexuality. If so there will be some confirmation to come from somewhere soon. I mean how much would this aspect add to an otherwise quite colorful couple anyway?

September 21, 2007 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  21. tarin

This is a dirty work of the Republicans. They have nothing to dig about Hillary Clinton, so they make up things about her.

September 21, 2007 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  22. JennyT

Just because she's a strong woman, people immediately pin her as a lesbian. We're so small minded and mysogynistic in this country, it's pathetic. Who cares which gender Hillary Clinton prefers? Or even that she's a woman? All I care about is her policy and her ability to run this country effectively.

September 21, 2007 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  23. Beth Sanborn-Charleston SC

Judging the emails, it looks like alot of Clinton supporters out there folks.

GO HILARY!

September 21, 2007 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  24. Bob, SLC Utah

She may not be a lesbian, but she has to contend with the fact she isn't feminine.

September 21, 2007 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  25. Eduardo, Los Angeles, FL

Hmmmmm...things that make you go.....is she Bisexual then?

I've heard rumors and also that the reason she has tolerated Bill's numerous infidelities is because of such "agreement" and their marriage is one of convenience because of they both share a "Political Agenda."

Then again, if it works for them...let them be. However, don't pretend or lie to the people who trust you to lead and represent our nation!

September 21, 2007 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |