September 22nd, 2007

Clinton: I am not a lesbian

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton's sexuality is not the most pressing issue on the presidential campaign trail, but it is likely to get a fair amount of attention on a lazy Friday in the nation’s capital.

The Advocate asked Clinton about past rumors that she is gay.

The New York Democrat tells “The Advocate” that she is not a lesbian, according to a story in Friday’s edition of The New York Daily News.

"It's not true, but it is something that I have no control over," Clinton tells the magazine in a story set for publication next week.

“People will say what they want to say," she added.

The comments came in response to a question posed by Sean Kennedy, an editor of the Advocate: "How do you respond to the occasional rumor that you're a lesbian?"

Kennedy tells CNN he asked Clinton about the rumors because "they are a point of solidarity between her and the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) community."

"Because her political opponents, and others, have used the word 'lesbian' to hurt her personally and politically, she knows first hand the stigma associated with homosexuality just as gay people do," Kennedy said. "She did not seem surprised by the question in the least and responded like the experienced politician she is."

The interview was conducted immediately after last month's Human Rights Campaign presidential forum.

UPDATE: The Advocate has published the full article on its Web site

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Pam Austin Tx

Please
    God made you like he made you.
    He made her a wife and Mother and strong and smart enough to be our first female President. If he had made her gay it wouldn't change a thing.
    Get over it

September 21, 2007 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  2. Phyllis, CHesterfield, MO

Will the Republicans stop at nothing!? The difference between 2004 and 2008 is that we will not tolerate having our candidates attacked! We will stand up for them and with them against unreasonable and inflammatory statements!

September 21, 2007 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  3. GMH, Franklinton, NC

WHO CARES?! God People!, if this is the best arguement you can come up with and this is what really matters to you –PLEASE stay home on election day!

This is absolutely ridiculous! Why is it ANYONE'S business whether Hillary Clinton (or any other canidate for that matter) is GAY, STRAIGHT, BI, OR FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MOON!? WHY is this even an ISSUE?

Why not focus on the REAL ISSUES! We are at WAR people...our healthcare has long NEEDED reform...and what about all the other IMPORTANT things we as Americans should ALL be concentrating on!

Presidential campaigns are becoming more and more ridiculous as time goes by...people are not judged on the issues (POLITICAL ISSUES) anymore... it seems now all we care about is mudslinging... and of course the MEDIA only makes things worse by concentrating on crap like this!

I do agree with one thing...well two... for one, THIS IS NEWS WORTHY??
    and two, It Does seem to be true that anytime someone (espeically in politics) is threatened by a strongminded, intelligent, and successful woman with a mind of her own, "She must be a lesbian"! RIDICULOUS...and even if there were an ounce of truth to it...SO WHAT!

And another thing...does no one here remember all the jokes when BILL was in office?? ...about Hillary being the real "President" ...seems like now that this is a real possibility, people are feeling THREATENED!

Hillary definitely has my vote...and I can promise you it will have nothing to do with something that should be no one's business to begin with!

She certainly cannot do a worse job than the Bush's (and other MEN who have been elected into the White House!)

September 21, 2007 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  4. J.Crobuzon

This is why she'll win: she's news. What she wears is news, where she sleeps is news, who she may possibly have once slept with maybe is even news.

September 21, 2007 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  5. Beaver T. McCleaver, Esq.

A tough, independent, intelligent, provocative, politically astute, middle-aged broad married to womanizing What's-his-name...a lesbian? Surely, this is an insult to lesbians.

September 21, 2007 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  6. James, Baltimore, Maryland

Hillary is not a lesbian...and her husband never inhaled. And, if you believe that, the Clintons have some ocean front property for sale in Arkansas.

September 21, 2007 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  7. Philip, Baldwin City, KS

Everyone who commented on this story is a lesbian.
    It's true. Somebody told me. It has to be true.

September 21, 2007 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  8. Sherry AllOver Texas

"She may not be a lesbian, but she has to contend with the fact she isn't feminine."

Posted By Bob, SLC Utah : September 21, 2007 3:04 pm

Hey Bob, she may not be as feminine as you, but then again MOST women aren't are they?! Oh the fragile conservative male ego... How dare a woman be more intelligent and sucessful than you? Just who does she think she is anyway... The next President of These United States, that's who. Deal with it!

September 21, 2007 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  9. Karon

Here's the deal,
    The white males are scared of her power and intelligence! Just grow up you weaklings!!!!

September 21, 2007 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  10. keith,Auburn,NH

I've read some of these comments and boy I can honestly say. I am scared for what this great country has for people in it. I know this is a nation of free speech and these people/idiots can say what they want. But the fact is this country needs a desperate change. I am a man in my middle 30's and am scared for my future and my daughters future as well. I am a middle class worker and am sick of seeing everything go up in cost and the rich get richer and the middle class get poorer. Senator Hillary Clinton I think would be a good choice for this country not because of her race,gender,or sexuality. But for what she stands for.

September 21, 2007 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  11. MaryJo Bruce

I do not care for anything Hillary Clinton stands for in her ideas of running this country. But, a rumor of that she is a lesbian. Good grief, don't people have better things to talk about. Lets try and stick to the facts and forget about all the hear sy crap. Get on with the business of running the country,protecting our borders and keeping us safe from the terrorists...

September 21, 2007 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  12. Carolyn

Has to be a infactuated lesbian woman on CNN employees payroll to even post it as News...I dont care if she is one,at least she makes sense and prolific at Vocabulary to run this country..And Qualified!!! better than thee nutcase in there now ...were in debt so bad you republicans,she'll whip you in shape,back to brokeback Mountain to stay there...while us Democrats will be livin good...

September 21, 2007 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  13. Lword fan, chicago, Illinois

It's really nobody's business, just as her husbands off-hour antics should have also been kept separate from his political life. However, maybe Sean should have followed up her answer with "Have you met Kate Moennig yet?" ;-)

September 21, 2007 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  14. Carl Roche

I am a str8 man and if Hillary is a lesbian it would only confirm my vote for her. What they say about you HILLARY is their business not yours.

September 21, 2007 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  15. Don, Houston, TX

---
    wow. I said "everyone knows this already" and it got taken down? I guess I'll get my news from somewhere that allows free speech next time. later CNN, no wonder you're falling to the bottom of the news competition. Get with it, it's called "interactive media."
    Posted By Mark, New York : September 21, 2007 11:52 am

unquote
    -----

Mark, if you will look at the tenth post above this one, you will see your original post; it is still there.

Also, for all the people who misunderstood, when she said "....it is something that I have no control over.", she was referring to the RUMORS, not her orientation.

(although I believe sexual orientation is inborn, not a choice, but that's not what she was referring to.)

September 21, 2007 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  16. Mack, New Braunfels, Texas

It's often said Clinton is an elitist who "looks down" on average working class Americans. I hate to say this, but if it is true, I'm beginning to think if I was her I might to. Our country is going bankrupt, thousands are dying in Iraq, we have problems like global warming facing us. Yet what passes for news is a "rumor" like this, and one that doesn't even have any basis to it. It looks like we'll be fooled by nonsense like this, and then vote for someone who we're told we can have a beer with.

She should have instead turned the attention on the reporter who asked this, and asked him what exactly the rumor consisted of. If he couldn't point out where it came from, she could have sarcastically pointed out that NOW there certainly is one.

September 21, 2007 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  17. Neill C., Montgomery, Al

If she isn't, she missed her calling.

September 21, 2007 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  18. Steve, Green bay WI

Want to connect with the gay vote and make a statement towards your position on "the gay issue". Here's a thought, have a slowball lesbian comment thrown at you and push your response across the media machine. Good job playing the victim here Hillary.

September 21, 2007 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  19. Snatchy Mc Ghee, Busch Gardens

Kind of reminds me of hubby Bill's "but I didn't inhale" defense.

September 21, 2007 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  20. JB Boston MA

To all of the Homosexual posters:

What is your opinion on the fact that Hillary is against Gay Marriage, and only for Civil Unions? She clearly doesn't think you are equal. Why does she get your vote?

September 21, 2007 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  21. Matt, Gilroy CA

It's always amazing to me how much energy we spend on people's sexual preferences – especially those in public light.

As if the biological and physiological equipment had by those one is attracted to, makes any difference at all, save to the persons involved.

September 21, 2007 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  22. Harry Beaver,Blacksabbath,OH.

Say what you want,but I like her.

September 21, 2007 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  23. Jeff, Philadelphia, PA

Earth: I am not Flat.

Sun: I Rise in the East.

...more on these breaking news stories tonight on "Useless News"

September 21, 2007 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  24. mack, new braunfels, TX

"And another thing…does no one here remember all the jokes when BILL was in office?? …about Hillary being the real "President" …seems like now that this is a real possibility, people are feeling THREATENED!"

No not really. While Bill Clinton is affable and friendly ("Bubba") he's said to be extremely brilliant, even a genius (in his IQ at least). While he was a Rhodes scholar and then US president, he actually grew up in a trailer park with an uneducated family and worked his way up by his own effort. This is unlike Hillary or Bush. Both Hillary and Bill are obviously very smart people, and there's no reason to think Hillary is smarter or that someone must be the "real" source of Bill's ideas.

September 21, 2007 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  25. Glen Dixon, Illinois

This is awful. It seems to me, that anything anti-clinton an american can come up with to discrase this family is like open to be considered, no matter how innane! 1st. yes, they had a VERY public problem in their marriage, but they decided to stay together. THEY ARE STRONGER TOGETHER. They have a great daughter and political careers. My parents separated just because of compatability issues, and because of the family they created they decided to stay together and work on their issues- not toss it away like yesterday's newspaper. I respect her for being strong enough to hold onto her life as it was spinning out of control... It shows that she can handle anthing we can throw at her- including a gay accusation.

September 21, 2007 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |