September 22nd, 2007

Clinton: I am not a lesbian

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton's sexuality is not the most pressing issue on the presidential campaign trail, but it is likely to get a fair amount of attention on a lazy Friday in the nation’s capital.

The Advocate asked Clinton about past rumors that she is gay.

The New York Democrat tells “The Advocate” that she is not a lesbian, according to a story in Friday’s edition of The New York Daily News.

"It's not true, but it is something that I have no control over," Clinton tells the magazine in a story set for publication next week.

“People will say what they want to say," she added.

The comments came in response to a question posed by Sean Kennedy, an editor of the Advocate: "How do you respond to the occasional rumor that you're a lesbian?"

Kennedy tells CNN he asked Clinton about the rumors because "they are a point of solidarity between her and the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) community."

"Because her political opponents, and others, have used the word 'lesbian' to hurt her personally and politically, she knows first hand the stigma associated with homosexuality just as gay people do," Kennedy said. "She did not seem surprised by the question in the least and responded like the experienced politician she is."

The interview was conducted immediately after last month's Human Rights Campaign presidential forum.

UPDATE: The Advocate has published the full article on its Web site

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Michelle, Ellijay Georgia

who the hell cares, don't "we" as americans have other things to worry about besides if someone is a lesbian or gay.....

September 21, 2007 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  2. Cable King Pittsburgh Pa

CNN,

With all of this personal trash being posted why won't
    you post my comments re: Fred Thompson and the opossum?

September 21, 2007 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  3. Courtney, Los Angeles, CA

If a cheating husband means his poor old wife is a lesbian, then there are millions of lesbians out there who don't even know that's what they are. This discussion is absurd. Any woman of substance and success, say, Diane Feinstein, Martha Stewart, Condi Rice, et al, would be ripe for the same idiotic "she's a lesbian" rants as is Hillary were any of THEM to enter the presidential race.

This is utter nonsense and now that the charge has been denied by Hillary it should be removed from discussion. To those who insist Mrs. Clinton is a lesbian I would say, unless you are a female who has had a sexual relationship with her yourself, just shut the hell up.

September 21, 2007 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  4. Chad, Dulles VA

Why didn't CNN also report that she is anti-gay marriage?

September 21, 2007 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  5. keith,Auburn,NH

Gay man in drag perhaps?

Posted By LoooseyGoosey : September 21, 2007 10:56 am
    ***************************************

The name speaks for the remark. It's sad if this person LoooseyGoosey is of age to vote.

September 21, 2007 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  6. jeff, Philadelphia, PA

"...but it is something that I have no control over...People will say what they want to say"

The funny thing is that reading many of these (now) 320 comments, she actually seems quite prescient on this topic. Everytime someone makes a snide comment on these boards, they only make her answer look that wiser.

September 21, 2007 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  7. Jeremy, Chicago, IL

NOT NEWS.

Mentioning that it's a lazy Friday in the story does not excuse CNN from editorial responsibility.

September 21, 2007 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  8. Kuro, Long Beach CA

Whether she is or not, I don't care.

I don't think that sexual orientation would affect her ability to govern effectively.

The woman says she's not. Fine. I'll take her at her word. It's really not my business, anyway.

September 21, 2007 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  9. Princess of Denmark, Seattle, WA

That's ridiculous. Who cares?

September 21, 2007 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  10. Faye, Oregon

Where did this come from? Why does her sexuality matter, though she is apparently not? Some people are so low.

September 21, 2007 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  11. David S. Atlanta, GA

She's not?

Then how does she explain that suit?

September 21, 2007 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  12. pl. at the UN for a while.

I am not American. I cannot vote. But, man-o-man.

Among all the hits the Dems have managed in this campaign so far, this one's for the books.

Folks, can't you see the magnitude of this political coup? The only Americans who will not vote for her now is the far right. Wheather rumor or truth, the news is plenty good. It demolishes everyone.

September 21, 2007 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  13. Eduardo, Los Angeles, CA

This is not an issue of whether one is a Democrat or Republican. The Advocate is certainly a "Gay and Liberal" publication and therefore should be IMPARTIAL to its reporting...

Folks...if there are rumors from various sources about her sexuality....well??? However, the main issue of concern shouldn't be if she is or isn't a Lesbian but that she be TRUTHFUL and UNASHAMED to admit it to the people and nation she wants to lead. I certainly want our next President to be an example of INTEGRITY and UNASHAMED of who or what he/she is (or amongst many other important issues). Moreover, this Leader should be a positve role model to say the least!

By the way, wasn't it rumored that Eleanor Roosevelt was a Lesbian and true that she had a live-in female assistant at the Whitehouse? But then again, that was then, this is the 21st Century and she wasn't the President or was she?

Isn't great living in the US where we can enjoy our right to free speech? GOD BLESS AMERICA!

September 21, 2007 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  14. Glenn McPherson San Marcos, CA

Sure she is not a lesbian. But her response should have been "Even if I were, what difference would it make."
    I'm sorry but sounds more to me like she is not my candidate. Gay marriage, who cares. Just give us the rights we deserve. I don't recall ever getting my taxes back because I'm gay. So my wallet is good enough, but I can't marry, or serve openly in the armed services, and I am denied basic rights that others enjoy freely. Its time for all responsible voters to move to independent and keep them guessing. Who knows, we might even muster up a third party candidate. Variety is the spice of life, afterall.

September 21, 2007 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  15. Ashley, Norwich, NY

First off, I am NO Hilary fan, never have been, and NEVER will be. I don't like to associate myself with anything tagged as "Clinton". With that being said, I am confused on this issue, as to what political relevance her sexuality has. I have homosexual friends, which I want them to be happy in life, but honestly, if her sexuality is going toward making gay marraige legal, then what traditions do we have left? I am against gay maaraige, but am in support of my friends not being discriminated against for their ideals however drastic. I would like to think when I say Chris and Joeseph got married, that no one would have to ask if it is short fr Christine or if it in fact is a man. Just a thought.

September 21, 2007 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  16. Sarah, Kansas City, MO

This old rumor pops up from time to time. If she were gay I would think someone from her past would have turned up by now. Anyway, so what?

The republicans should be very careful with this one. They have plenty of well known party members, in Washington, who are rumored to be gay. Oh, but I forget we are talking about the party of double standards here; the party of self-rightous hypocrites.

Has anyone noticed the abundance of bad spelling and bad grammer that appears in these blogs? I have noticed that worst offenders tend to be the republican defenders.

September 21, 2007 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  17. Weitser, Austin, TX

Go Hillary!!! Just goes to show how strong of a woman she is, which she'll need extra x x x chromosomes to deal with the old good ole men club at the capitol.

September 21, 2007 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  18. Jim Hanover, Maryland

I guess this means that she "didn't have sexual relations with that woman"???

September 21, 2007 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  19. Old School, Sonora CA

Rudy is the one that likes to dress drag. Can't wait for Rudy vs Hillary. It will be nonstop entertainment.

September 21, 2007 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  20. Sam, My business/notyours

whooooooooooooooooooooooooo cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jesus people, how about concerning yourselves with real issues like the mess we truly live in because of the same people who might have "a problem with her sexuality." Quick look over here....and CNN you should know better.

September 21, 2007 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  21. Tim, Cincinnati, OH

Bill: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

Hillary: "Me neither."

September 21, 2007 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  22. Ashley, Norwich, NY

Comically, I just noticed that anyone having anything good to say to Hilary or kudos to her (which in my opinion is BS, my opinon), happened to have made their comment annonymous. How convenient. And of course it had to be us radical republicans making up rumors that she is gay. Yeah, because we are that ridiculous, and have just that much time on our hands. Sorry to those who think it may be, but I believe it might be some good journalist getting a story. The Republicans are too busy fixing everything the Democratic Party in office in past years have screwed up.

September 21, 2007 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  23. Monique Oklahoma City, Ok

It really doesn't matter one way or another if she is a lesbian, but to me this explains why she stands by Bill's side whenever one of his secrets gets out.

September 21, 2007 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  24. Cassie, Pea Ridge AR

I agree – this is the dirty Republican – Rove tactics. The media is sick for even printing this. I think this is irrelevant especially when Bush and his cronies have blown up Iraq and pissed off 95% of the world. Yikes.

September 21, 2007 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  25. pl. at the UN for a while.

The "so what" is intended and obvious in the statement "let the paper write what they want". She is not running away and hiding, or denying whatever we write.

If I were American, this would solidify my vote for her.

September 21, 2007 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |