September 22nd, 2007

Clinton: I am not a lesbian

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton's sexuality is not the most pressing issue on the presidential campaign trail, but it is likely to get a fair amount of attention on a lazy Friday in the nation’s capital.

The Advocate asked Clinton about past rumors that she is gay.

The New York Democrat tells “The Advocate” that she is not a lesbian, according to a story in Friday’s edition of The New York Daily News.

"It's not true, but it is something that I have no control over," Clinton tells the magazine in a story set for publication next week.

“People will say what they want to say," she added.

The comments came in response to a question posed by Sean Kennedy, an editor of the Advocate: "How do you respond to the occasional rumor that you're a lesbian?"

Kennedy tells CNN he asked Clinton about the rumors because "they are a point of solidarity between her and the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) community."

"Because her political opponents, and others, have used the word 'lesbian' to hurt her personally and politically, she knows first hand the stigma associated with homosexuality just as gay people do," Kennedy said. "She did not seem surprised by the question in the least and responded like the experienced politician she is."

The interview was conducted immediately after last month's Human Rights Campaign presidential forum.

UPDATE: The Advocate has published the full article on its Web site

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Scott Perkins, Cincinnnati Ohio

She is I hope our next president. And I hope her first act as Commander and Chief is to through all of the haters that have commented here in jail or worse make them do time with King George and his gang of merry thieves.

September 21, 2007 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  2. -Chainsaw Wilmington,DE

Only Bill knows for sure.

September 21, 2007 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  3. Blue in a Red State - Phoenix, Arizona

Hillary isn't gay.... rumor or not, what does it matter?

Giuliani is taking calls from his wife while giving a speech.... TRYING to prove that he wont cheat on HER and marry the next one – again.

It MUST be a slow news day in the political arena.....

September 21, 2007 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  4. Lily

That is an awesome color on her. :D

September 21, 2007 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  5. Dan (Columbia, MD)

What's with all this "right wing rumor mill" garbage?

The question came from The Advocate. Not exactly a conservative magazine.

September 21, 2007 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  6. Chris Haynes, Winston-Salem, NC

Oh my gosh! Gasp! Why isn't Giuliani condemning the Advocate? In fact, the Senate should hold vote on the topic to officially condemn the Advocate. This is so horrible. Republicans should separate themselves from the publication. Gosh! The Advocate is demeaning the entire military.......oh, sorry, that was the Republicans argument for wasting taxpayers' time and money earlier in the week. WHO CARES!!!!!! As a country, we will never get anywhere acting like a bunch of ingorant, spoiled brats! FOCUS ON REAL ISSUES PEOPLE!!! Bee, your grammer and spelling suggests you are too ingnorant to be a Wal-Mart greeter, but you choose to leave posts on CNN.com? Anonymous, grow a pair and leave your name!

September 21, 2007 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  7. Bubba the Conspiracy Buff, Swainsboro GA

Tim, was GW Bush ever a dog catcher? It would explain a lot if he was. The last dog catcher I recall making the news turned out to be the BTK killer, so being a dog catcher doesn't really qualify you as president. Being a senator involves a lot of budgeting and analysis, and so does being a lawyer (remember, you guys had her investigated? Ken Starr? Hmmm?).
    I find her flawed in many ways, but she ain't inexperienced.

September 21, 2007 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  8. Darko, New Orleans LA

No one accused her of anything. They asked how she responded to those rumors. (They've been around for a decade now).

"It's not true, but it is something that I have no control over" – Isn't refering to her sexuality. She's saying she can't control rumors.

Learn to read people.

September 21, 2007 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  9. TLE

i love being a lesbian.

September 21, 2007 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  10. C Beckett, Urbana IL

Has anyone bothered to ask the other candidates whether they are gay?

September 21, 2007 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  11. Simonette Basle, Switzerland

Whether she is or not, doesn't really matter; and who knows, beside her, anything about her sexuality ???
    May be it would be nice to have sexual relations with her :-) ...

September 21, 2007 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  12. Ken, Mechanicsburg, PA

Hillary's Family Life is the real issue here because so many believe
    her marriage is a Fraud. If Bill and
    Hillary actually live apart, then she
    should say so. We should not be mislead. If she can't be honest about
    her own life, what else would she be
    dishonest about ? And if they do
    live separate lives as many believe,
    are we prepared for more Clinton SEX
    scandals that could come from Bill or
    Hillary ?

September 21, 2007 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  13. Glenn Martin-Monroe, Louisiana

CNN, even for you this is one cosmic joke...but what are Fridays' for if we can't have a good laugh. This is state of the art great for a good laugh. You've made one critic laugh and smile with tongue in the cheek glee. Lighten up you geeks-for some of the responses.

September 21, 2007 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  14. Shon, Atlanta, Ga

Hey did you hear, Your president and Condi are an item. See how ridiculous this sounds. Gees people whenever a woman appears to have some power, she is labled all sorts of things. This is not new, this has been going on since the beginnging of time. Its always "EVE" fault of why Adam sinned. Gees can we discuss the issues that most affect us all!!!

September 21, 2007 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  15. laurinda,shokan,ny

YOU CAN SAY WHAT YOU WANT ABOUT HILLARY, BUT, AT LEAST SHE ISN'T A REPUBLICAN! ALL THIS NONSENSE IS COMING FROM THE REPUBLICAN PARTY WHO KNOW THAT IN '08, THE DEMOCRATS WILL BE TAKING OVER.

September 21, 2007 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  16. Dana, Morgantown WV

When you have to deny it.......it's usually true!

September 21, 2007 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  17. cuedtowin - Appleton, Wisconsin

How ridiculous. We have soldiers dying daily in Iraq and this presidential candidate's sexuality is what people are focusing on. I guess that's one way to try to win the White House. How pathetic!

September 21, 2007 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  18. Lee Anderson, Charlotte, North Carolina

I am an American born and will be an American dead and would have it no other way. I am a fifth generation American and, I suppose, and since I have always had close friends that were everything else imaginable, many have called me a WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant)but most certainly not in a way but in a friendly, jesting way. What I'd really like to know is why so many people in this country choose NOT major principles with which to concern themselves but the most insignificant!
    I'm certain Hillary Clinton is not a lesbian. However, what differnce would it really make if she were?!? PLEASE! "We, the people" in this country have DIRE things, and not a few but many, to worry about without wasting energy on the minor and, many times, non-existant possibilities that become major issues in the news. Whether or not one believes all that's in the Bible, it is a fascinating piece of literature and helps one put much into a reasonable perspective. In the final analysis, WHAT DIFFERENCE does it make if Hillary is or is not a lesbian? I still don't know who I will choose to give my vote, even in the primary. I can assure you, though, that I don't give a whit whether the person I choose is a male or female, black, white or green, and I surely don't think their sexual preference will increase or decrease their ability to be a good president or whatever! When I'm worrying about who will be able to help lead this country back - yes, BACK - to a place where my wonderful grandchildren can live peacefully and indendently with all the freedoms our constitution once gave us, I truly become disgusted when much of the populace comes up with junk like this!!! Tell them to get their intellectually behinds up and out and to do something positive toward getting a REAL president elected this time!!!

Thank you for the privilege you gave me to vent :-).

Lee Anderson

September 21, 2007 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  19. Matthew W. Combest

Lesbian or not – she would be the best president.

September 21, 2007 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  20. Moe, NY

An individual's sexual orientation is their own business. This sounds like Hillary bashing..hmmm...do I smell republicans?

September 21, 2007 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  21. DC, GA

Being married to Bill would be enough to turn gay!

September 21, 2007 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  22. I Hall, Mt. Vernon, NY

It might be important to remember that this is the man that wanted his mistress in the same house as his wife and children when he was mayor. Just wait to see what else he will come up with.

September 21, 2007 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  23. James, Camp Hill, Pa

Hillary's ability to Govern should
    be the issue. The next United States'
    President will surely face a Nuclear
    Armed IRAN and God knows who else.
    Combined with the War on Terror, do
    we believe Hillary is the best person
    to lead and protect us ?

September 21, 2007 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  24. Tim, Colorado Springs

Bubba, my point is that she has zero executive experience. As a senator, she is one voice among 100 sharing responsibility for everything the senate does. This is not at all comparable to being chief executive. Most politicians rise up the ranks bouncing between executive and legislative posts, getting experience in both (such as state governor). Hillary carpet-bagged her way from housewife to senator, never having full responsibility for running anything along the way.

September 21, 2007 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  25. Alan , Toronto, Canada

Is this what America needs? The idiot who asked the question: if I were Clinton I would put the boot to his backside. Our politics is a disgrace. We, as a nation, really have no class. We are so self centered and self important. I wish candidates would tell both reporters and one note questioners go **** themselves.

September 21, 2007 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |