September 22nd, 2007

Clinton: I am not a lesbian

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton's sexuality is not the most pressing issue on the presidential campaign trail, but it is likely to get a fair amount of attention on a lazy Friday in the nation’s capital.

The Advocate asked Clinton about past rumors that she is gay.

The New York Democrat tells “The Advocate” that she is not a lesbian, according to a story in Friday’s edition of The New York Daily News.

"It's not true, but it is something that I have no control over," Clinton tells the magazine in a story set for publication next week.

“People will say what they want to say," she added.

The comments came in response to a question posed by Sean Kennedy, an editor of the Advocate: "How do you respond to the occasional rumor that you're a lesbian?"

Kennedy tells CNN he asked Clinton about the rumors because "they are a point of solidarity between her and the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) community."

"Because her political opponents, and others, have used the word 'lesbian' to hurt her personally and politically, she knows first hand the stigma associated with homosexuality just as gay people do," Kennedy said. "She did not seem surprised by the question in the least and responded like the experienced politician she is."

The interview was conducted immediately after last month's Human Rights Campaign presidential forum.

UPDATE: The Advocate has published the full article on its Web site

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Rose Hann New London, CT

Mike from Kansas,
    Hillary traveled the globe for eight years as first lady. She met with world leaders and helped organize loans for woman in poverty. She was very invloved for her eight years in the White House. Her attempts at healthcare were at least more than any one did before her and after. She has been a US Senator for seven years and has a genious husband. It was a two fer then and it will be a two fer on election night 2008. I am more then comforted by her Senate record. A failed attempt with a nasty group of Republicans forced her away from the issue, but, she has a great plan now and I read every detail. With do respect, she is the most qualified. She will win. It was Dick Derbin who said the people who dislike her, are the people who are threatened by her strength. She doesn't climb in the sewer with those who insult her. That is a good heart and mind. She has my vote! Sorry you don't like her but her following is huge.

September 21, 2007 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  2. Kathleen Niles Wiklund Scarborough, Maine

Sexual orientation, gender or religious affiliation should not be a subject for discussion.

Let's talk about education, health, the environment and stopping the war, and avoid things that are personal and private

September 21, 2007 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  3. Joel Orlando, Fl

i like lesbians

September 21, 2007 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  4. Rose Hann New Lonodn, CT

Kathleen,
    That is what Senaor Clinton talks about. She has addressed these issues with intellegence. calling her a lesbian is a distraction from the issues you mentioned. Since CNN thought it news worthy is insulting. I wish people would listen to her and what she stands for, not what some idiot wants to change our precption of her. The same card carrying Clinton bashers are out in full force. I'm glad she doesn't sewer hop and dignify them with anything.
    This is why people don't vote. Smut talk. It's a turn off.

September 21, 2007 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  5. Anyone but Hillary

William in Halifax: I'm glad that you can't vote. You are delusional about Hillary's experience.

And BTW- I didn't vote for either Bush.

September 21, 2007 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  6. Rudy Tacoma,WA

who cares.I sure don't.Again, why are people so concerned what she might do in private?The only people with any real interest should be Hillary,Bill and if they are ok with a third person that's just fine.I'm sure it couldn't make things worse than they are now.

September 21, 2007 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  7. Julia

I don't think she is a lesbian...but that's not what people should base their votes on (sexual orientation).

I don't care if Hillary is straight or lesbian... I'm still not voting her. Hillary and democrats = failure for America. Republicans have good Christian values, and that's not something I'm going to sacrifice for idiotic democrats.

September 21, 2007 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  8. Mike, Kansas City

Rose, I don't dislike or disrespect Hillary. She is an intelligent, articulate woman. I just don't think she's a good choice.

"Qualified" encompasses both "capable" and "experienced". When in her life could Hillary ever claim "the buck stops here"? She watched her husband lead for 30 years, but was not accountable for anything personally. "Helping" organize loans made things incrementally better, but was this even a role where you could clearly delineate success, or you could tell if she lead a team effectively? Her 8 years as first lady are quite forgettable. We still remember Nancy Reagan for "Just say no". The most memorable thing Hillary did was handle Bill's infidelity with dignity.

Do we really want to have her engaged in on-the-job training in being a chief executive while holding the most powerful office in the world?

There are other candidates far more qualified than Hillary for the job. Biden for instance has 35 years in the Senate, and dominates Hillary experience-wise in every facet.

Just because Hillary claims to be the most qualified candidate doesn't make it true.

I'm still waiting to hear just one example of a position which she has held which demonstrates executive leadership. Has she ever held a cabinet post, run a company, or led a non-profit?

September 21, 2007 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  9. pl. at the UN for a while.

I trust, Kathleen, you meant it in a good way.

Gender, sextual orientation, and religion are what make up one's personality which is then taken into policy-making. The fact that this candidate feels comfortable with these traits IS GOOD NOT BAD.

September 21, 2007 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  10. Tom Dedham, Mass

"Right after Rudy goes public with his rant about Hillary insulting General Petraeus, the Advocate which is just another Move ON Org. comes out with the Hillary is a Lesbian Story! So transparent it's laughable!

The Advocate Slam on Hillary is nothing more than a vicious Republican pay back. And if you can't see that you should take off your rose colored glasses. And all those who believe anything they hear or see in the Media should consider the source of the Hillary Attack."

Tricia, could you be any more misinformed?

The Advocate is nothing like Moveon, it is a magazine.

To even suggest that a GAY magazine would be doing the work of the Republican party is bleeping insane.

I don't care if she is gay, but if she was, good for her. What are her views?

I would rather this magazine ask her if she has added in the Illegals to her Health care plan yet, you know the one she has been working on for 13 years.

Did they ask why she is AGAINST gay marriage and as co-President (part of her experience, right people?) why did her administration pass the "don't ask, don't tell policy" that discriminates AGAINST gays in the military?

I think those questions are a little more important than this BS.

Dick Morris is not a right winger as one of you Clintonista's suggests, he was in the Bill Clinton WHITE house.

I ask one simple question of all on this board, can anyone provide a direct quote from a Republican politician that ever said Hillary was gay?

Great, the media once again is complicit with the "Poor Hillary is the victim" mentality.

You all could rightfully be screaming if Sean Hannitty asked her this, and for the record on his show last night, he condemned the Advocate for even asking the question.

September 21, 2007 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  11. Rick Davis Midland, Texas

I"m a man. I've taken care of my family for 36 years. For you to introduce a doctor to examine me, feels repulsive. I have gotten along 36 years, married, and raised two kids, in which my daughter, has had her seventh child.For you to introduce, a MANDATORY HEALTH CARE SYSTEM, means our taxes are going to be raised. I'm a grandfather and been a member of the Democratic Party for many years. For you to raise my taxes on my grandchildren, repulses me, because that is what you are doing. For your MANDATORY HEALTH cARE SYSTEM to go through, that will mean more taxes on me now and my grandchildren later.. Now send me a reply to my e-mail if you don't think I know what I'm talking about.

September 21, 2007 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  12. Joseph, Toronto, ON

I think it's ridiculous that CNN put this on the front page. It's a pointless and very short article to land a spot on the CNN home page.

On the front page of CNN: "Clinton: I am not a lesbian" ... the first thing a lot of people will think when they see that is "hmmmm, I wonder if she IS a lesbian?"

CNN "the most trusted name in the news", is clearly biased.

September 21, 2007 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  13. Sam, Lincoln, Nebraska

I don't think she is a lesbian…but that's not what people should base their votes on (sexual orientation).

I don't care if Hillary is straight or lesbian… I'm still not voting her. Hillary and democrats = failure for America. Republicans have good Christian values, and that's not something I'm going to sacrifice for idiotic democrats.

Posted By Julia : September 21, 2007 9:35 pm

Yeah Julia...like Larry Craig, Mark Foley, and the many other Republicans who have been exposed for the self-righteous hypocrites they are. I'll take an "idiotic" Democrat over any of those phonies any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

September 21, 2007 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  14. J-son, Sacramento Ca

I've heard through a friend that was a flight attendant on Air Force 1, that she was really really close with Chealse's nanny back in 97ish. Really touchy feely with her. Who knows.

September 21, 2007 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  15. M. Allen, former English teacher, Mt. Ida, AR

VanReuter in NY: The last two of the three apostrophes you have used are incorrect!!

September 21, 2007 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  16. Bucky in DC

I love the liberals that dont consider smashing the president, VP, or the leading general of our Nation as anything bad, but one bad word about Hillary and your all ready to go off the deep end. Hey leave it to Hillary to give us the President and the first lady. I bet Bill is pulling for bi vs. lesbian so he is not left out. Now mind you that before you attack that, it was him who introduced oral sex to the white house.

September 21, 2007 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  17. Joe, Phoenix, AZ

Posted By Rick Davis Midland, Texas : September 21, 2007 9:44 pm

You DON'T know what you're talking about Rick. Perhaps you should review Hillary's proposal a little more carefully. It won't raise your taxes unless you're one of those one percenters who benefitted from the Bush tax cuts, which would not be renewed. Check your facts more carefully.

September 21, 2007 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  18. lisa, snellville ga

it just floors me that you people are discussing this woman's sexuality.. And why? I am not planning to vote for her but I could careless who she sleeps with.. and frankly so should you.

September 21, 2007 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  19. rbsingleton, Philadelphia, PA

What a crock!

Can you imagine, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Britney...?"

Gimme a break.

September 21, 2007 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  20. Charlie Bean, Eureka, California

It shouldn't matter what one'sd sexual preference is. It should only be that some one can do the job!

At this time, our representatives are so worried about the other's sexual preferences, they are not getting anything done!

September 21, 2007 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  21. Rose Hann New London, CT

Mike,
    Let us agree to disagree. I think she is the MOST qualified and you do not. Before closing, I would like to say her dealing with infidelity is a family afair, not a world afair. She raised a wonderful daughter who not one time embarrased her position as first daughter.
    As for Nancy Reagan "Just Say No", it was proven a failed attempt to discourage our youth from dabeling in drugs. Just like the kids who say NO to sex before marrige. There was a documentory illustrating that to was and is a failed attempt at celebacy.
    I am convinced Hillary is a strong capable leader you don't. I respect your right to feel as you do, your entitled. That is what makes America great. My husband is a Veteran of Viet Nam and he is very impressed with her answers on the debates. That is his right. Nice dialogue, we agree to disagree.

September 21, 2007 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  22. Terry

I think she is what any particular group wants her to be. She goes with which ever the wind is blowing, so she must be ac/dc.

September 21, 2007 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  23. Rose Hann New London, CT

Mike, One more note. Jimmy Carter appointed her as legal advisor for a government project when she was 30. She was appointed to do legal work during the Watergate Hearings. She volunteered to represent battered woman right out of grad school and again she led the way in lifting woman out of poverty by creating a no interest loan in Europe and the US. I could go on but her rsume is too long to mention.
    The guy who complained about mandatory healthcare has probably never faced what my sister faced last year as she battled brest cancer. We insure our cars and our boats, even our pets. Why not ourselves? For he millions without healthcare, walk in their shoes. it's a different world. I am a healthcare proffessional, I have seen things no one should see in their lifetime. I worked in a Community Clinic for the poor who couldn't pay 3.00 for penicilin. I used to pay it for them. We need to be isured. One never knows what can happen in a day that changes you forever.

September 21, 2007 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  24. Rose Hann

Terry,
    Your comments are your's and you have a right to free speech. Your comments are strange. Please let us use a modecum of respect regardless of our partiality. This is what divides us. We need to re-unite this country for obvioous reasons.

September 21, 2007 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  25. Kaitlin, Burbank

I couldn't care less if Hillary Clinton is or isn't a lesbian, but this isn't a new rumor. Wasn't this a issue even when Bill Clinton was running for president the first time? There were certainly rumors even from the LGBT advocates that Hillary might be a lesbian and married to Bill for politcal reasons.

I'm not sure this is a Republican mudslinging issue. Republicans aren't going to vote for Clinton. But when Hillary does become President, I think a lot of the LGBT advocates will claim her as one of them.

September 21, 2007 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |