September 22nd, 2007

Clinton: I am not a lesbian

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton's sexuality is not the most pressing issue on the presidential campaign trail, but it is likely to get a fair amount of attention on a lazy Friday in the nation’s capital.

The Advocate asked Clinton about past rumors that she is gay.

The New York Democrat tells “The Advocate” that she is not a lesbian, according to a story in Friday’s edition of The New York Daily News.

"It's not true, but it is something that I have no control over," Clinton tells the magazine in a story set for publication next week.

“People will say what they want to say," she added.

The comments came in response to a question posed by Sean Kennedy, an editor of the Advocate: "How do you respond to the occasional rumor that you're a lesbian?"

Kennedy tells CNN he asked Clinton about the rumors because "they are a point of solidarity between her and the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) community."

"Because her political opponents, and others, have used the word 'lesbian' to hurt her personally and politically, she knows first hand the stigma associated with homosexuality just as gay people do," Kennedy said. "She did not seem surprised by the question in the least and responded like the experienced politician she is."

The interview was conducted immediately after last month's Human Rights Campaign presidential forum.

UPDATE: The Advocate has published the full article on its Web site

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. barbara thompson, seattle

clearly hilary is more qualified than bush, but so is my cat. but most qualified? come on! she speaks well and has name recognition but what has she really done? what has she done that any other candidate hasn't, other than piss off half the electorate?

September 21, 2007 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  2. Tom, Boston MA

Mike from KC had a really good question: has Hillary ever been successful in any executive leadership role? How about an example, Clintonistas?

September 21, 2007 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  3. Sherry AllOver Texas

"I don't care if Hillary is straight or lesbian… I'm still not voting her. Hillary and democrats = failure for America. Republicans have good Christian values, and that's not something I'm going to sacrifice for idiotic democrats."

Posted By Julia : September 21, 2007 9:35 pm

What a riot! You should write for SNL! But seriously though, where have you been for the past 25 years, hiding under a rock? That "Holier than thou" crap doesn't cut it anymore sister, especially since your party has been so busy proving to be quite the opposite!! Here's a list of your so called "Republican Good Christian Values":

Get educated before you embarrass yourself (or us) any further. We're all human sweetheart and we ALL make mistakes!

September 21, 2007 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  4. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I personally have been accused of being a lesbian more than once. I always replied to those who asked, YOU WILL NEVER KNOW.

September 21, 2007 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  5. Pablo Cruz, Minnesota

Thank you CNN for addressing REAL news! Hillary's credibility has/is/will continue to be a real issue. She is a lesbian and should tell the truth and come out of the closet. I can't respect her and the lie she is living; faking a hetero relashionship with Bill.

September 21, 2007 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  6. gary m, san diego, CA

purient pubiscan interest entirely removed from the reality of the field of natural persons concerns, and a massive corporate circle jerk.

September 21, 2007 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  7. Haggisdog, Houston, Texas

Whoa... slow news day or what. Now that we have a VPs daughter who is a lesbian does any of this really matter?

September 21, 2007 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  8. MauL, NY

Total BS...probably put out by the corrupt republicans who cannot play fair in an election year. Get real people...how much longer are you idiots going to swallow that republican BS? I for one have had enough!

September 21, 2007 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  9. Truscott-Livermore, CA

EXACTLY why I made a CONSERVATIVE MUSIC CD–this crap is useless. Bush opposes gay marriage due to his moral indications–Hillary favors gay marriage, but she will only vote for civill unions–just like Bush. The same vote (Like Iraq) but she is somehow on their side. I'm a pro gay marriage Republican and I hate this softball junk!

September 21, 2007 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  10. Tricia M Charlottetown PEI

Lord have Mercy, I thought I'd heard it all! Until: Julia :

Republicans have good Christian Values!
    Hillary and Democrats = Failure for America! Your not going to sacrifice!
    The world has sacrificed for eight long years Julia. We had no choice. There is no choice with Dictatorship.

What Newspapers and News Channels are you reading and watching Julia?

The only party that equals Failure for America over the last eight years is the Republicans. Surely I don't have to back up that statement with a list!

The state of the US Economy alone should be enough to prove that point.
    It's the first time since 1974 the US and Canadian Dollar are equal. I guess that's due to those Good Christian Republican Values! (I'm raising my eye brows and rolling my eyes now)

God Bless America.

September 21, 2007 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  11. Lee, Mays Landing NJ

Republican Reich-wingers want her to be, so desperately.
    It was part of their demonization process in their twisted world.

Meanwhile they have more than enough to clean in their own closet.

September 21, 2007 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  12. Maureen, Loves Park, Il

She's accused of being a lesbian by insecure men that are afraid of a powerful women. Some of the comments on here prove this. It's text book sexism.

September 22, 2007 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  13. David, Titusville, Fl.

Typical American small, narrow, simple minded nonsense. Get over it people.

September 22, 2007 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  14. Richard, Ewing, NJ

You know I am sick and tired of all these uneducated comment about this being a right-wing conspiracy. It is a liberal newspaper, Advocate, asked her this question. It is a GLBT news site for cry out loud. I do think the question is silly and it is impolite to ask a married woman with a daughter such question, and I defended Hillary just in an earlier post. However, there are really many uneducated democrats here claiming this is a republican hit-job. Please at least visit "Advocate.com" before you make such uneducated comment.

September 22, 2007 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  15. annoyed, WA

Who reviews these comments? Those without name, city, state won't be posted?? Good one. 481 comments so far. That's disgusting. This is why rubbish like this is reported, because you sick people flock to it, read it, discuss it, and love it. The American people are fueling this trash. If you wouldn't read it, they wouldn't print it. Why don't you use some self control? Don't tell me practice what I preach. I do. I don't read alot of the garbage, but seeing 481 comments caught my eye. Disgraceful!

September 22, 2007 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  16. adz, hk

Oh wow. This never even occured to me.

September 22, 2007 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  17. Joel

How silly to think shes a lesbian...and if she is or isnt i will vote for her...the most sensible woman is kicking all them guys out...and whos bussines is it anyway its her bussiness...A wonderfull person and she cant even defend herself to have a private life too even if you are going to be President...

September 22, 2007 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  18. Obama

who cares! Obama will get the nod...then she can sleep with whoever she wants.

September 22, 2007 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  19. Albi; Bethesda, MD

Hillary is a closet lesbian. When Bill was in office, Hillary had a traveling companion. Why don't you ask her why they shared adjacent rooms on business trips? One bed was slept on while the other wasn't...hmm.

By the way, there's a reason why Hillary refused to answer the news media when they asked her a few years ago if she had ever cheated on Bill. Remember, she refused to answer that question on national tv.

September 22, 2007 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  20. Jason, Little Rock, AR

I love the person said it's probably true because "beyond every rumor their is an Iota of truth."

Well I heard a rumor you can't spell and place proper significance on common nouns. Basically the rumor said the person who posted that was less than bright. And it must be true cause there is an "iota of truth" in every rumor.

September 22, 2007 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  21. Steve, Colorado Springs, CO

Because you unethically printed the response before the question, you totally changed the meaning of her statement. You decided it would be more interesting if she said she had no control over her sexuality rather than her saying she had no control over the rumors about her sexuality. Give me a break, CNN. Stop being "creative" and making things up.

September 22, 2007 02:12 am at 2:12 am |
  22. Priya S

Leave her alone. She is a great and strong woman and extremely competent candidate for a president. So all of you people trying to take her down, shame on you for being so ignorant and biased!

September 22, 2007 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  23. Jennifer Point; Lyon, France

Let's talk about the REAL issues, please!!!!

September 22, 2007 02:36 am at 2:36 am |
  24. Jennifer Point; Lyon, France

Let's talk about the REAL issues, please!!!

September 22, 2007 02:38 am at 2:38 am |
  25. CMS, CA

Who cares? Who cares? (A Republican here...) Show me a viable third party to release us from this acrimonious nonsense!

September 22, 2007 03:23 am at 3:23 am |