September 22nd, 2007

Clinton: I am not a lesbian

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton's sexuality is not the most pressing issue on the presidential campaign trail, but it is likely to get a fair amount of attention on a lazy Friday in the nation’s capital.

The Advocate asked Clinton about past rumors that she is gay.

The New York Democrat tells “The Advocate” that she is not a lesbian, according to a story in Friday’s edition of The New York Daily News.

"It's not true, but it is something that I have no control over," Clinton tells the magazine in a story set for publication next week.

“People will say what they want to say," she added.

The comments came in response to a question posed by Sean Kennedy, an editor of the Advocate: "How do you respond to the occasional rumor that you're a lesbian?"

Kennedy tells CNN he asked Clinton about the rumors because "they are a point of solidarity between her and the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) community."

"Because her political opponents, and others, have used the word 'lesbian' to hurt her personally and politically, she knows first hand the stigma associated with homosexuality just as gay people do," Kennedy said. "She did not seem surprised by the question in the least and responded like the experienced politician she is."

The interview was conducted immediately after last month's Human Rights Campaign presidential forum.

UPDATE: The Advocate has published the full article on its Web site

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Bubba, Swainsboro GA

ooo, anonymous knows about some secret sources. I'm convinced, how 'bout y'all?

September 21, 2007 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  2. Bryan, Baton Rouge, LA

It's articles like this that make me hate CNN news just as much as all the other major media outlets. Why can't there be a form of media that only reports the facts, and that actually debates the real substance of candidates opinions and political plans of things like taxes and health insurance? Media that doesn't care about worthless political commentary that has nothing to do with whats truly important about presidential candidates. Oh wait, its called NPR. I think I'm just going to get my news from them from now on.

September 21, 2007 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  3. Frank Deluca

There is mounting evidence that she may be a lesbian. See:

As for her denial, remember that Hillary, like her husband, lies with incredible ease.

September 21, 2007 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  4. Emmanuel, Washington, DC

America, I think we have more important national issues like health care, education, real estate, Iraq/terrorism, etc to talk about than Senator Hillary's sexuality. GOP has no chance.

September 21, 2007 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  5. Chris, Middletown, CT

HILLARY IS NOT A LESBIAN! She is also NOT QUALIFIED...NOT TRUSTWORTHY..NOT A VIABLE CANDIDATE.(I'm sure there are others...)

September 21, 2007 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  6. Philip, Elkhart IN

I don't think you're right. I don't think Hillary worries the GOP as much as Obama does. Hillary already has people who've hated her because of name recognition. Obama only has that due to name association. As a Republican, I think the Democrats should nominate Hillary – that way maybe we have a chance to maintain power for 4 more years. I don't think we'll have that chance if Obama gets nominated.

September 21, 2007 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  7. cameron, roanoke, va

WOW! Are the republicans getting that nervous that they have to throw out slanders?!?!?! If she is who cares, she's a Democrat.

September 21, 2007 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  8. Henry Tucker, Ga

And Larry Craig is straigh! Just ask him.

September 21, 2007 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  9. Anonymous

she is gay or lesbian. thats why the marines did not guard the private quarters in their tour.

September 21, 2007 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  10. Nate, Phoenix, AZ

Blame the GOP all you want but since she is bi it is the timing that looks odd (helllooo- Obama & Edwards are as big a culprit as anyone else for crying out loud). We all should know she is by now. Just look into her past (especially in college).

September 21, 2007 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  11. Dissapointed, Connecticut

I'm sorry, is this a reputable news source or PerezHilton.com? It is pathetic that CNN.com's front page story is a poorly written blog with obvious bias to paint Clinton in a negative light. Add to that the awful picture that your so called "unbiased editors" picked with oh-so-much restraint and guess what we've got – another candidate vying for the "fair and balanced" title once claimed by Fox News!

September 21, 2007 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  12. Shes so raven!

NO!!! She's not a LEZ, she's a BI!

She goes both ways on any issue that will get her ahead!

Any means to an end!

September 21, 2007 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  13. suomynonA

I dont believe it was republicans attacking her, David, Arlington. And this is CNN that has this story and a liberal paper that first printed it.

September 21, 2007 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  14. Doc San Jose, Ca

When she gets OUTTED in the near future she is going to say:
    "OHHHH....I thought you said 'Lebanese'"!

September 21, 2007 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  15. CNNIsForDummies

Thanks for keeping us up to date on news that matters, CNN. Why buy tabloids when I can just go to CNN.com?

September 21, 2007 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  16. Teresa T, Courtice, Ont. Canada

Let's face it, the "Butch" look is very dominate !!!! Deny, deny, deny !!!!

September 21, 2007 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  17. Samantha, Washington, D.C.

Why is everyone assuming there is some republican conspiracy to say she's gay?? Is that just the most convenient theory for extreme left-wingers? No republicans I know care who she has sex with.

September 21, 2007 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  18. Peggy, Colorado Spring, CO

God help us, this is news? Bad enough the Daily News had it, now CNN?

September 21, 2007 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  19. Max, Boston, MA

As if being married and having a kid wasn't enough of a giveaway.

September 21, 2007 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  20. John P Toronto

I thought some women had come forward and claimed they had sexual relations with Hillary?

September 21, 2007 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  21. JimmieFrom

People, people, cant we just try to focus on the politics in this country for once. Hey, I support Senator Obama and Hillary will never get my vote, but come on people. We've got our kids dying in a foreign country and you people are talking about this garbage. You know I served in the Military for 22 yrs and it's times like this that I question that service. We've got real problems in this country and we'd better get about solving them.

September 21, 2007 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  22. Tom, Charlottesville, VA

Mrs. Clinton is an intelligent, thoughtful, and decisive leader whose opinions on economic issues, the lunacy of war, and the poisoning of our atmosphere may be critical to our survival. This tawdry sideshow is contemptible. Would these leering jackels be worried about Churchill's orientation? Hardly.

September 21, 2007 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  23. JimmieFromDayton

September 21, 2007 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  24. Brad, Columbia, S.C.

WOW... this is news??? And on the front page of CNN no less? Way to go CNN... I think you're starting to take the cries of bias a little too personally and are now going in the complete opposite direction.

But let's recap the Republican mentality on this one:

We must entertain this rumor even in the absence of any evidence to support it.
    Larry Craig is absolutely not gay and you are an idiot to suggest it.

September 21, 2007 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  25. Frank, Dallas TX

If she was gay she would have said " I am NOT GAY, I have never been GAY and I will not be Gay in the future."

September 21, 2007 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |