September 22nd, 2007

Clinton: I am not a lesbian

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton's sexuality is not the most pressing issue on the presidential campaign trail, but it is likely to get a fair amount of attention on a lazy Friday in the nation’s capital.

The Advocate asked Clinton about past rumors that she is gay.

The New York Democrat tells “The Advocate” that she is not a lesbian, according to a story in Friday’s edition of The New York Daily News.

"It's not true, but it is something that I have no control over," Clinton tells the magazine in a story set for publication next week.

“People will say what they want to say," she added.

The comments came in response to a question posed by Sean Kennedy, an editor of the Advocate: "How do you respond to the occasional rumor that you're a lesbian?"

Kennedy tells CNN he asked Clinton about the rumors because "they are a point of solidarity between her and the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) community."

"Because her political opponents, and others, have used the word 'lesbian' to hurt her personally and politically, she knows first hand the stigma associated with homosexuality just as gay people do," Kennedy said. "She did not seem surprised by the question in the least and responded like the experienced politician she is."

The interview was conducted immediately after last month's Human Rights Campaign presidential forum.

UPDATE: The Advocate has published the full article on its Web site

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Interested Party Too, USA

Hey Interested Party – CNN is definitely taking down comments here for no apparent reason!

What is the story?

September 21, 2007 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  2. Paul

I don't see where her sexuality should be an issue here. No I don't like her and NO I am NOT going to vote for her. But in all reality, I don't think hers or any of the other candidate's sexuality should play a part in whether they are right for the position they are fighting for. Base it on ability to do the job, inteligence, morality, persistance, leadership qualities, personality, etc...Heck, if Clinton can get BJ's from his secretaries, and still be a bad president, then she can screw a woman.

September 21, 2007 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  3. Claire, Vancouver, WA

WHO CARES!!!!!!!! WE NEED LEADERS!!!Our nation and our earth are facing staggering issues directly affecting the survival of human life as we know it.......GET OVER IT!!! We do not need yellow journalism.

September 21, 2007 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  4. Oscar A., Alhambra, CA

Something must be stirring up the Dark Side as I've been getting a slew of rightwing email rants. Are they nervous? Desperate? Judging by this ridiculous article it would seem so.

September 21, 2007 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  5. Trish, Sebastopol CA

I am an Obama supporter, and this kind of news coverage makes my stomach churn. Aside from the fact that it's incredibly irrelevant to the issues, the homophobic undercurrent stemming from publishing fodder like this is just plain wrong.

This isn't a smear attempt by the Republicans or the Democrats - this is a CNN blogger who obviously doesn't have enough work in real journalism to fill his/her time.

September 21, 2007 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  6. Jim Hassinger, Glendale, CA

As you can tell by the numerous YouTube videos going around, Rudy Mussolini is the lesbian in the race.

September 21, 2007 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  7. The American Public, USA

John, Clifton Park, N.Y.- Get off your parents computer and go to school.

September 21, 2007 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  8. Tom Parker. Co,

Tammy Wynette a lezbo...who cares. The material issue is that at least half the country hates her. Nothing she can say or do can change that. This would-be CIC was quoted as saying she "loathed the military". That's what the voters will remember when it's time to pull the election lever.

September 21, 2007 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  9. Truth Teller

"I am not a lesbian". But I did vote for the Iraq war without reading all of the intelligence available to me. And then I try to tell the American people that I didn't think GWB would really go to war. And I do take campaign contributions from illegal sources and deny knowledge of them. Oh, and my brothers both took money from two people that Bill pardoned or had sentences commuted for.

There's enough to talk about without bringing my sexual orientation into this.

September 21, 2007 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  10. Anonymous

Queen of De Nile. How many gay politicians actually admitted it?

September 21, 2007 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  11. Colony 14 author, Mount Prospect, Illinois

Hillary was also asked if her daughter Chelsea has had sex yet, to which Hillary replied, "Not according to her father!"

September 21, 2007 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  12. Murray, Korea

Well, whether she's a lezbo or not, I would never hope to ever – EVER see her naked with another woman, even if it were Heidi Klum. And, I would never want to see her naked with another man, even if it were Janet Reno.

September 21, 2007 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  13. Markus S.K. Polatschek - vienna - austria

I can´t believe that this is such a big mistake of of overall meanings from someone!
    in my piont of view there could´t be any truth of it.
    i think that if you talk to people with other orientiert sexuality means that you are not 100 percent to the oter different mind.
    dicussions could be made.
    but anyway
    anyway, keep on talking is the correct way.
    my opinion,

have a great day
    Markus.

September 21, 2007 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  14. HBC, Columbia, SC

Too bad the Secret Service is sworn not to tell. Lots of rumors from former White House staff about Hillary's sexual preferences.

September 21, 2007 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  15. altamontrick

Yes, but does she have a wide stance?

September 21, 2007 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  16. Terry Dallas Texas

Let me see if I get this line of reasoning. Bill cheated on her because she is gay and was not doing it for him. If she were straight he would have never strayed. Ok, I get it. Newt Gingrich keeps marrying lesbians. Thats why he has cheated on his last 2 wives.

September 21, 2007 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  17. Michael, Gallatin, TN

Fine, Hillary Clinton's not a lesbian. With John Edwards and Fred Thompson still in the race, lesbians are well represented in both sides.

September 21, 2007 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  18. JaWonda Blake - Bent, NY

Word! Hillary be gay, yo! I wuz at the show lastweek and I had to go pee an drop a deuce too, and when i wuz inna stall, she was tappin her feets at me and moving her finger under teh partition!

September 21, 2007 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  19. Dr Atomic

Tom, gee, all the other Republicans are saying that they've been saying it for years. Maybe they don't tell you everything because they don't like you.

September 21, 2007 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  20. numi

10 to 1 the Republicanites scare up some long lost 'classmate' that will swear otherwise.

Any takers?

September 21, 2007 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  21. KidByte, Dallas, TX

Well, CNN must have received a BIG promise from the 'publicans to have published this bit of tripe. Or maybe they got their payola from the Fox Network? Somebody PULEEZ explain to CNN what the word "news" means so they will quit publishing this crap.

September 21, 2007 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  22. James Bennett, Medford, Oregon

I need an independent source to verify her statement. Too many indications otherwise.

September 21, 2007 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  23. Lee, Akron, Ohio

Are any of you folks that are blaming this story on the right wing considering that your own party may be behind it? Why wouldn't the republicans wait until after the dems annoited her? If this were found to be true it now, wouldn't it help Obamas cause? Think about it !!!!!

September 21, 2007 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  24. Phoebe, Syracuse, NY

It is unfortunate that we live in a culture where if a woman is strong and independent, she is automatically chastised as being a lesbian. There are two problems with this. First, that fact that a politician has to defend their sexuality implies that it is not as acceptable to be gay in our culture. And second, it creates a situation where the only way we accept women is if they abide by gender stereotypes such as being sexy and verbally passive. There is little room for a woman to be confident, intelligent, and a flawed human-being without being shot at. We should be ashamed as a culture that this is even making headlines.

September 21, 2007 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  25. Steve, Cleveland, Ohio

In this day and age, the only people who are still concerned with things like this (if someone is gay or not) are hypocritical right wingers. My God, get over the "gay" thing already...it is an old and tired topic.

September 21, 2007 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |